VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've read alot of forums about this recorder, but nobody has answered this question. About the 3-hour LP mode hack or whatever, does that improve picture quality from the 4-hour EP mode? It would be pointless if it didnt, but I havnt read anything about it. On the LiteOn 5101 I think it was, the manual said the LP mode improved the bitrate, but not the resolution. Can anyone confirm if this is so with the ILO?

And also, if I wanted the official firmware and the hacked as well, which would I install first? If its even possible. Does the official fix the clock and SLP audio synch problems? I don't want to mess up anything as its too late to return it to walmart, unless they still have 90 day returns. Thanks for any help
    Quote Quote  
  2. The resolution is 352x480 with a higher bit rate than the 4 hour mode. Very good for VHS or TV recodrings since niether of those sources are greater than 35x 480 resolution
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I downloaded and installed the firmware, I got the LP mode, so I'm pretty happy. But does the hacked firmware fix the clock and audio synch errors? Also ppl with this recorder, does your front a/v inputs leave a high pitched whine on your recordings? Turn it up loud during a silent moment, I read somewhere on here its b/c they use a fluorescent display instead of LED or something and it interferes with the front inputs
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had read about this noise but did not hear it until I moved my recorder & cable box from the floor into a cabinet. However the noise is not heard during playback.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've only tried the front a/v jacks on one of my units and there is no distortion to the audio when playing it back.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I had that noise with a dvd player to the front inputs
    I put a vcr to the front, dvd to the rear. Record from cable box RF in to the vcr, using rca out of vcr to eliminate audio hum thru the rf tuner when copying from cable. Couple of minor bugs with workarounds.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FKrueger
    I had that noise with a dvd player to the front inputs
    I put a vcr to the front, dvd to the rear. Record from cable box RF in to the vcr, using rca out of vcr to eliminate audio hum thru the rf tuner when copying from cable. Couple of minor bugs with workarounds.
    Yeah thats how I set it up, I never record from the tuner b/c I like stereo sound and better picture, its just that the noise I'm talking about only happens from the front a/v inputs, its a high pitched whine in the background thats very noticable on a receiver in a home theater setup. I was thinking about buying an s-video system selector, but that just seems like I'm ripping myself off by buying the cheaper brand dvd recorder, 149.99 + 20.00 for system selector + 12.00 for two additional s-video cables. I'd rater put that 32.00 towards another recorder (I am happy with it) I wonder if they fixed the front a/v inputs since I bought mine.
    Oh and does anyone know Wal-marts return policy? Is it 30 or 90 days? Also does anyone know how long the price match guarantee is?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I get the high pitch noise from the front a/v inputs as well. I have my dvd player plugged in there and I can hear it especially while it's recording. What I have been doing lately is to unplug my vcr front the a/v inputs in the back and plug my dvd player in there when I want to record from it. It's a hassle and I may just buy an a/v splitter to plug into my rear a/v inputs to switch between vcr and dvd player. I like the recording quality of this unit so I'll go this route instead of buying another dvd recorder that may have worse problems. 8)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dvdchanic
    I get the high pitch noise from the front a/v inputs as well. I have my dvd player plugged in there and I can hear it especially while it's recording. What I have been doing lately is to unplug my vcr front the a/v inputs in the back and plug my dvd player in there when I want to record from it. It's a hassle and I may just buy an a/v splitter to plug into my rear a/v inputs to switch between vcr and dvd player. I like the recording quality of this unit so I'll go this route instead of buying another dvd recorder that may have worse problems. 8)
    I've been doing the same, except I use my vcrs composite out to go into video2, and my dvd player into the s-video input, and just switch between audio cables, I really wish each input in the back had its own audio inputs, then I would forgive the bad front inputs.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok new question, does anyone know if TDK dvd+r media will work with this? I just bought a 25 pack of TDK dvd+rs, but they say for 8x or higher, will it still work on the ILO? What speed is the ILO?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by solidsnake
    Ok new question, does anyone know if TDK dvd+r media will work with this? I just bought a 25 pack of TDK dvd+rs, but they say for 8x or higher, will it still work on the ILO? What speed is the ILO?
    I dont think the speed matters,It will just burn at the speed of the recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by canadateck
    Originally Posted by solidsnake
    I dont think the speed matters,It will just burn at the speed of the recorder.
    ok good, I was kind of wondering b/c it says "8x compatable and higher" and thats all it said, why couldnt they just say what it records at. Well anyway Thanks
    Quote Quote