VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. mpeg2 is fine, but don't re-encode (lose quality, generation loss) . You could use mpg2cut2 or videoredo to pre-edit clips

"mp4" is just a container, and provides no information about the video compression

lossless avi is another option (e.g. huffyuv, ut video codec) , but there is not reason to unless you are preprocessing with other filters - you can import the native files (premiere has been able to work with native mpeg2 for years)

make sure you use matching sequence settings (e.g. interlaced if your assets are interlaced , upper field first if it's UFF, etc....)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    mpeg2 is fine, but don't re-encode (lose quality, generation loss) .
    Thanks...however, when you are exporting from Premiere (ex. to MP4 or FLV or something else...) are you not "re-encoding"?

(hopefully this is my last question!)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by metrosuperstar View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    mpeg2 is fine, but don't re-encode (lose quality, generation loss) .
    Thanks...however, when you are exporting from Premiere (ex. to MP4 or FLV or something else...) are you not "re-encoding"?
    yes you are . I was referring to when you import mpeg2 . (vob is already mpeg2, so don't be using some software to re-encode to mpeg2 - unecessary quality loss) . Premiere doesn't like it when it's still wrapped in vob format, you need either elementary stream (.m2v video) , or mpeg2-program stream (.mpeg, .mpg) , or mpeg2-transport stream (.m2t, .m2ts)

assuming it's interlaced, you decide upon export whether or not to deinterlace (sequence settings almost always should be set to what the asset is) e.g. if it was for a dvd you would leave it interlaced , it was flv for web, you would deinterlace

cs5 can ivtc, but it's unreliable. If you had a telecined dvd, I would use another application to ivtc (like avisynth), then import a lossless avi. Earlier versions cannot handle it at all
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

yes you are . I was referring to when you import mpeg2 . (vob is already mpeg2, so don't be using some software to re-encode to mpeg2 - unecessary quality loss) .
    is VOB2MPG ok to achieve the task safely and without re-encoding?
    Quote Quote  
  5. yes, it doesn't re-encode
    Quote Quote  
  6. Wow, this has been quite the informative thread for me and hopefully it will help others. Come to think about it, I think it can be summed up that I learned alot simply because I made the fundamental mistake of evaluating my ripped content by playing back the MPG2s on the PC, noticing the combing effect, and deciding that there was a problem with the software I had used to rip the VOBs or extract the MPGs.

But now I understand, and hopefully you can confirm this just to make sure, after extracting my MPG2s, I should have either examined the fields using AVISynth and then brought them in to Premiere and experimented with the sequence settings until I had an export that was of good quality without combing..... OR first used an AVISynth-based program like Handbrake, AutoGK, or XviD4PSP to deinterlace properly the MPG2 footage (according to the AVISynth report) before bringing it into Premiere.

Did I understand everything?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Not quite

You wouldn't deinterlace before import if one of your export goals was dvd . Only if you are 100% sure your only export format was to be progressive (e.g. for web), would you deinterlace before importing. Remember deinterlacing degrades the footage, even the best deinterlacers.

If your dvd was interlaced, you would cut/edit/process everything in premiere as interlaced. The decision is made when you export whether or not to deinterlace. If one export goal was dvd you would leave it interlaced.

For progressive export formats, you could export as an interlaced lossless format, and use a 3rd party deinterlacer if you wanted to, or let premiere do the deinterlacing (not recommended)

If premiere is setup with interlaced sequence, the preview is showing a single separated field (so you don't see combing). Essentially it's deinterlacing for the preview so you can edit, but internally, it's still interlaced. That's why you have to understand fields/frames, and how premiere works. If you just exported something it would still be interlaced. If you were to watch that export with the same media player that you used with the same settings you would see combing (it's normal, you're supposed to). For this reason - just because you fiddle with the settings until you don't see combing won't work - you have to understand how premiere works and what settings to use for sequence , asset interpretation, and export

The 1st software you used to rip might be working correctly. It's just that you haven't activated a deinterlacer in your playback software, or you're not using dvd playback software (eg. cyberlink powerdvd) , which emulates what a regular dvd player would do

It's not good enough to just determine what format the input dvd is. You need to know what format goals are to figure out what settings to use (you need to know if your format goal is telecined, interlaced, progressive)
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 18th Sep 2010 at 13:47.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You wouldn't deinterlace before import if one of your export goals was dvd . Only if you are 100% sure your only export format was to be progressive (e.g. for web), would you deinterlace before importing. Remember deinterlacing degrades the footage, even the best deinterlacers.

If your dvd was interlaced, you would cut/edit/process everything in premiere as interlaced. The decision is made when you export whether or not to deinterlace. You could export as an interlaced lossless format, and use a 3rd party deinterlacer if you wanted to, or let premiere do the deinterlacing (not recommended)
    OK, fair enough. And those 3rd party deinterlacers would have to be the ones that install and use AVISynth correct?
    For example, Handbrake, AutoGK and XviD4PSP?
    What would be the interlaced lossless format you would use to export from Premiere? Uncompressed AVI?
    What would be the script used to deinterlace the footage - can you copy and paste it here?

The 1st software you used to rip might be working correctly. It's just that you haven't activated a deinterlacer in your playback software, or you're not using dvd playback software (eg. cyberlink powerdvd) , which emulates what a regular dvd player would do
    I was just using Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7 for playback. Is that a no, no? Best to use a dedicated 3rd party solution like PowerDVD?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by metrosuperstar View Post
    OK, fair enough. And those 3rd party deinterlacers would have to be the ones that install and use AVISynth correct?
    For example, Handbrake, AutoGK and XviD4PSP?
    What would be the interlaced lossless format you would use to export from Premiere? Uncompressed AVI?
    What would be the script used to deinterlace the footage - can you copy and paste it here?
    Those gui's include some deinterlacers, you can choose which one to use (some are faster, some are slower, some are better quality etc...)

I would export either uncompressed AVI, or you can use lossless compression (e.g. lagarith, huffyuv, ut video codec)

If you want to deinterlace , there are dozens of choices for speed/quality, and dozens of settings for some of them. It also depends if you want single rate or double rate . You also need to specify field order for most. It's too much to go into for 1 post. Deinterlacing specifics have been covered in numerous other threads, I suggest you look into those as a starting point

e.g.
    AVISource("export.avi")
    AssumeTFF()
    TempgaussMC_beta2()

I was just using Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7 for playback. Is that a no, no? Best to use a dedicated 3rd party solution like PowerDVD?
    It depends how you have it configured, what directshow decoder.

For example you could use vlc and activate the deinterlacer (e.g. yadif double rate) on your original rip => presto I'll bet money that the combing will be gone.

You can use whatever software you want. You just have to understand how to use it.
    Quote Quote