VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. 1. I recorded a video (.VOB) using a camcorder (Canon DC330, Disc: JVC DVD-RW 60), then copied the video to my PC.

2. I converted (Any Video Converter V3.0.5) the .VOB to .mpg (MPEG-I Movie).

3. I cut/trim (Real Player V1.1.1) the long video (.mpg) into 13 short videos (.mpg).

4. When I try to import the short videos (.mpg) to WMM (Windows Movie Maker), only 1 of the 13 short videos was imported & is working fine. The other 12 short videos, it says: C:\My Documents\My Video\Hilton1.mpg could not be imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted. They play fine with my RP (Real Player), but can't be played at all in WMP (Windows Media Player). However, the one which can be imported to WMM can be played with WMP.

5. Based on the archive (https://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/movie-maker-codecs-t330619.html) in this forum, I downloaded GSpot & MediaInfo. Gspot says "Codec(s) are installed" & MediaInfo gave me the following:-

MediaInfo

Complete name : C\My Documents\My Video\Hilton1.mpg
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 6.23 MiB
    Duration : 39s 39ms
    Overall bit rate : 1 339 Kbps

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 1
    Format settings, BVOP : No
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Duration : 39s 39ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 1 089 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 1 152 Kbps
    Width : 352 pixels
    Height : 240 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.430
    Stream size : 5.07 MiB (81%)

Audio
    ID : 192 (0xC0)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Duration : 38s 922ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 224 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Video delay : -592ms
    Stream size : 1.04 MiB (17%)

What is wrong with my 12 short videos (.mpg) which can't be imported to WMM? What can I do to make it workable?

Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Why do you cut with real? Windows movie maker can cut.

And I would instead use vob2mpg to convert to mpg. No reconversion and it might work fine wmm. If that wont work convert to dv-avi with anyvideoconverter. Don't convert to low quality mpeg1.
    Quote Quote  
  3. IMHO Any Video Converter is garbage(as is Real), use MPEG Streamclip. You can export to AVI and edit with WMM.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks Baldrick & MovieGeek. I tried both.

I’ve problem with vob2mpg. I was on VOBSET Mode, browsed for DVD source. The thing is that I’ve a VOB file in my PC’s folder, not on a DVD, so it wasn’t able to look up for a VOB file, it can only open folder & no VOB file was shown. Furthermore, the next button is to Extract. I want to convert, not to extract. So, really can't use this software.

As for MPEG Streamline, I was able to convert to MPEG, but cannot be played at all with WMP & cannot be import at all to WMM. Then, I tried to export to MPEG-4, it can be played with WMP but no sound at all, then it can’t be imported to WMM. I then tried to export to AVI, it can be played with WMP but the video & audio were not in sync. But when played with RP, they were in sync. The good thing was, I can import it to WMM & the video & audio were in sync!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Oh gosh, the larger AVI (1.28GB) just won't play in sync (video & audio) even in RP & after imported to WMM. Only the smaller AVI (445MB) can be played in sync in RP& after imported to WMM, though not in sync in WMP. What to do?
    Quote Quote