VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey,

I am currently doing a project about websites like abc tv network would like to know how I could record videos or better said shows from there. I want to include those videos then into a presentation.

So I need a tool that is able to record and cut videos... as there are quite a lot of such programs and I am really a bit overwhelmed I would be glad to get some suggestions for a good tool I could use.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can't do it for free. If you are a starving student, that may be extremely important for you to know.

If you want to record broadcast TV then you'll need a video capture device of some kind attached to a computer. If your "computer" is actually a laptop then you'll be restricted to USB solutions. I don't use USB solutions so I can't make recommendations. Basically you get what you pay for and the cheaper ones may have various problems. Better capture devices, at least the ones I know about, will all cost over $100 US. You'll need to make sure that your capture device doesn't obey Do Not Copy signals or that your TV source isn't sending them in error. This probably won't happen, but it's not impossible.

If you can stream ABC shows via a browser, you can buy a streaming media capture program like Replay Video Capture and record the stream from the browser. This would be simpler and cheaper than doing the above USB capture solution, but the quality will likely be somewhat less.

I don't really want to get into the legal implications of this, even for a (presumably school) project. "Fair Use" doctrine would apply, but US law deliberately leaves it undefined so that it's up to a judge or jury to define what is or isn't Fair Use. Since this is a project, if you keep the clips short, like under a minute, you should be OK. Even if you recorded and showed an entire show nobody may care enough to go after you if you aren't making money from this, but you should be aware that you don't have a legal right to "rebroadcast" (this is the term used) those recordings or use them in any possible way you wish. The law has made it clear that the shorter the excerpt, the more likely it is to be considered Fair Use. Note that Fair Use doesn't depend at all on whether you make money of this or not.

Finally if you live outside the USA you should probably say where you live as you may have all kinds of problems trying to do this at all. ABC cuts deals with other TV channels around the world to show their stuff and if you live in, say, the UK, you won't have the same access to ABC that an American would.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi ,

@Frettchen : Try VLC ( is free ) . You can record , and while re-watching you can cut ( at the screen or with commands's line ) .

Cheers .
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hey,

I can suggest Disney. I use this program for almost two years and I am quite confident with it.
    You can use it to record from any site you want - in case you don't want to record just from abc. If you want to have a tool you could use generally to capture also movies etc. I would say it's a good/better investment than downloading some (often) crappy freeware.

You can chose between three different recording options (at least one always functions - for any site you want to record from).
    The software cuts advertisement automatically - which is great cause you have less work yourself afterwards. It also includes a converter with a variety of formats into which you can convert your videos. What is also great is that you find tutorials on Disneys website how the recording for specific sites works. I just checked if they also have a tutorial for abc and the really do:

http://www.disney.com
    Last edited by Baldrick; 27th May 2014 at 09:35.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi ,

@Frettchen : FREE ! FREE !! FREE !!!

---
    An other possibility for "catching" videos , is to use "HDS link detector"
    ---
    Try done with :
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/biden-vets-23871233

Made a batch file :
    Code:
    @echo on
    php AdobeHDS.php --manifest "http://abcvod.abcnews.com/z/abcnews/140526_dvo_biden_,500,700,900,1200,1600,2000,2500,.mp4.csmil/manifest.f4m?g=SYXXIRUSYMIM&hdcore=3.1.0&plugin=aasp-3.1.0.43.124" --delete --auth "als=0,3,NaN,3,0,NaN,0,0,0,38,f,0,77.97,f,s,SYXXIRUSYMIM,3.1.0,38&hdcore=3.1.0&plugin=aasp-3.1.0.43.124" --useragent "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0"
    pause
    :fin
    ==== Process running

KSV Adobe HDS Downloader

Processing manifest info....
    Quality Selection:
    Available: 2492 1993 1593 1195 896 696 496
    Selected : 2492
    Fragments Total: 13, First: 1, Start: 1, Parallel: 8
    Downloading 13/13 fragments
    Found 13 fragments
    Finished
    ====

Got "ecd75e49f4ec926076938e8839a317b2_6_af06e4f505c7e3 4a_Seg1-Frag.flv"

After that you can use VLC ( --start-time=xxs --stop-time=yys ) .

Cheers .
    Quote Quote  
  6. haha aazerty..
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks guys for your (free and non-free) suggestions ;D
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RosaRito View Post
    haha aazerty..
    Let's see, mystery man. You come out of nowhere to join us simply to tell us about this wonderful program you know about which just coincidentally can do exactly what the original poster wants to do. Oh yeah - it costs money. And they have a special tutorial on exactly what you want to do! Only they don't - check the link. I would say the odds are pretty good that you work for for this software company. Maybe you're the programmer who wrote it. You're just trying to be "helpful" so people don't understand that you have a financial interest in the original poster buying this program. Funny how you only care enough to post in this one thread. We've seen your type before around here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. Frettchen=RosaRito....bye bye...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't realize that Frettchen and RosaRito were the same person. Then I read Baldrick's post and looked at the writing style in their posts.

Note that the original RosaRito post contained a link that has since been changed by Baldrick. The original link claimed to have a special ABC tutorial, but in fact it didn't. So my post referenced something different than what it has now, which clearly will not lead to TV recording software.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!