VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and have a question to pose to the membership. I have been using a Sony HDR PJ30V for a few years now. My problem is the camera is cutting the video into segments when it reaches 1.97 gb. It continues recording but I lose a split second of dialog. Has anyone else experienced this with Sony Camcorders? I had not noticed this until I started using the camera for 20 - 30 minute interviews. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Camera: Sony HDR Pj30V
    Capture Card: Sony 1 - Class 10 16GB 40 MB/S
    Capture Card: SanDisk 1 Class 10 16GB 45 MB/S
    (Fragments with any external capture card I use)
    Quote Quote  
  2. From Sony:

"If the movie file size exceeds 2GB while recording a movie, the file is divided automatically, although it is played back continuously with the camera. If you use the supplied software PMB or PlayMemories Home for importing to the computer, the divided movies will be combined automatically when importing.

The files will be combined automatically only with the computer whose file system is NTFS or exFAT. They are not combined if the file system is FAT32. The file system can be checked in the Properties of the drive to be imported. The audio may be interrupted if you use other software for importing. Even if you use other software for editing, always use PMB or PlayMemories Home for importing to the computer."
    Quote Quote  
  3. These are called "spanned clips," the metadata to connect them is included in the folder structure on the card.

In addition to what Rawit has referenced, professional level NLEs such as Avid Media Composer, Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas Pro will ingest the files correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Rawit and smrpix, Thank you for explaining the "spanned clips". The issue must be my cutting and pasting the clips with-out using PMB or PlayMemories Home software to download. Installing Sony Vegas 13 next week. So from now on I will use the software you suggested when downloading the files. Thank you for taking the time to explain. It's greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!