VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok not so next-gen but new for me, what about these x265 and or 10bit encoded files i see nowadays. Are they really whats next and can an 1080p dd5.1 hevc file have lower filesize than a 720p 2ch-aac with better or similar video quality?
    Quote Quote  
  2. There's a 10 bit version of the x264 encoder. Apparently it can compress a little more efficiently than the 8 bit version, but there's virtually no hardware player support for 10 bit h264/AVC. There's less colour banding issues when using a 10 bit encoder.

10 bit h265/HEVC will probably be widely supported.... eventually.... as it's been included in the h265/HEVC spec from the beginning.

I don't know about the file size comparisons. I don't encode with the x265 encoder myself yet. None of the hardware players in the house will play HEVC. You'd probably want to use h265 encoding for 4K video to keep the file sizes somewhat realistic, but I don't encode any of that yet either.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Has the speed of X265 improved at all? It was a deal breaker for me the last time I tried to use it, though I was only making test encodes. Like hello_hello, I don't have anything that will play H265 other than my computers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Has the speed of X265 improved at all? It was a deal breaker for me the last time I tried to use it, though I was only making test encodes. Like hello_hello, I don't have anything that will play H265 other than my computers.
    Quite a bit, although I don't know the last time you used it.
    Quote Quote