VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using Subtitle Workshop for a couple years and find it very helpful. Occasionally I load a subtitle (srt) but when the video is loaded it does not play. The screen is black. The video plays OK in VLC and Media Player. I can sometimes open these stubborn videos from within Subtitle Workshop without the subtitles (Movie>Open) and they will play, but when I load the subtitles they don't. Other times they won't even play period, yet still fine in external players. I've tried resaving the srt files (thinking there might be something in it that is corrupted) and have even tried recompressing the video, but usually it still doesn't play.

I've looked using AVI2Clipboard and GSpot at the files that work vs those that don't, but I can't seem to see anything unique about the files that do not play.

What I have noticed with these files are a large number of ffdshow instances opening in my task bar; sometimes a half dozen each for audio and video. Thinking that I possibly had a corrupted installation of either ffdshow or Subtitle Workshop, I downloaded the lastest version of both, removed the current installations, and reinstalled. This did not correct the problem. I had previously tried Subtitle Workshop 4 Beta 1, but preferred using v2.51, however I noticed a new Beta release (4b2) so downloaded and tried this hoping it might work. It did not.

I have used Subtitle Workshop hundreds of times successfully and it very seldom that I encounter these problems. What I don't understand is what is happening with ffdshow. Is it possible I do not have ffdshow configured properly. I have installed it completely with all addons.

Has anyone else ever encountered this problem? Could anyone suggest a solution or direct me where to focus my attention?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A work around to the problem might be to use an Avisynth script for the troublsome video. SW's open dialog filter doesn't include avs, but just enter the script name to open it. As a last resort, an Avisynth script through VFAPI Codrc reader also works.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same problem (no preview) a couple of years ago; like you, it was out-of-the-blue with no previous problems. As I remember, I was able to fix it by installing or re-installing vobsub 2.23. Seems like some other program had installed something (directvobsub? vsfilter?, don't remember) that interfered with Subtitle Workshop.

You might try disabling sub support in ffdshow, too. I didn't mess with that but don't know if I had it enabled or not.

I just checked my ffdshow, I have sub support turned on in the directshow configuration, but turned off in VFW. Don't know if that's important or not, but Subtitle Workshop 2.51 is working OK for me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your suggestions.

GTRBudda, I tried Avisynth but received an error when I tried opening the avs file I created (one line: DirectShowSource("E:\x.avi"). Possibly what I have contanted in this file is incorrect. I downloaded and tried to install VFAPI however it would not install successfully. I'm running Vista and wondering if there may be a conflict.

Squash, I uninstalled and reinstalled vobsub 2.23 however it did not correct the problem. I had subs off in both VFW and directshow (I assume that is Video Decoder Info), but tried turning them on in VFW. It did not correct the problem.

I tried both SubMagic and TimeAdjuster, but get the same results that I do using Subtitle Workshop.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry my suggestions missed the mark, both methods have worked for me. I don't think the script is the problem. I'd have used AviSource with an avi but DirectShowSource should have worked too. Hmm, a couple more thoughts. I don't know much about Vista, but I've read where running from admin allows some apps to run if they fail from a user account. I'm also wondering if a comparison in GSpot between a working and a non working video might shed some light on the problem.

Soirry too I didn't reply to the PM earlier. That was the first one I've gotten, so I wasn't looking for one.
    Good luck,
    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @timmer545,

I doubt that it's a Vista compatibility problem. I've been using SW with Vista Home Premium 32-bit for about 6 months with no problems, on probably a few dozen titles at least. My problem I described in my previous post was on my old XP machine. And it affected all files, not just the occasional one, like your problem, so I really didn't have much hope for it working, but you never know.

I took a look over at Urusoft's forum: http://www.urusoft.net/forum/ and there are a lot of posts there describing problems similar to yours, with many solutions offered. Some work for some people but not for others. One of the main threads is here: http://www.urusoft.net/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6427

One guy was able to fix a bad file by running it through Divfix.

A lot of hits to look at here:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=site:urusoft.net/forum+preview&hl=en&start=20&sa=N

And I agree with you that the new beta's are a step back from 2.51. The problem is that the source code to the original program was lost (ouch!) so they had to start over from scratch. At least they're updating it again.

Good luck with it. If you find a fix, please report back. I or somebody else may need it in the future. The program appears to be vulnerable to a lot of different conflicts. Great program, though.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Squash, Thank you for the links, they were very helpful and thanks for all the time you obviously put into this. I have worked with well over 500 video files, syncing subtitles and tweaking other peoples work. I really like Subtitle Workshop and find that for the most part it works great and does what I want to do. I'm sorry to learn they lost the original source code.

@GTRBudda, I've checked and rechecked the video files using GSpot but cannot identify anything that points me to why certain files (and very small subset) don't work, while most files do. That is not to say that other's more knowledgeable than me wouldn't find useful information there that I'm overlooking.

FYI, following are some things I've discovered. This problem is a bit frustrating but at the same it has me intrigued. I may have to simply abandon more work on this particular video file as I’ve spent far too much time on it.

I had already used mencoder to save a new avi file using directstream for both audio and video. I had also completely recompressed both audio and video using TMPG and neither corrected the problem in SW. I did download Divfix which appears to have corrected some errors, but it lead to some “interesting” information – that makes no sense to me. I report it here as others might find it useful. Before Divfix the video file would not play in SW (Movie>Open) – this without subtitles in the directory. Following Divfix the new file would play in SW. HOWEVER, when I renamed the new file, it would no longer play (all other conditions the same, I checked this several times as it made no sense to me).

So I left a copy of a newly correct file in the directory, checked that it played in SW, then renamed my srt file to match the new file and moved it into the directory. The video would not play when the srt is present, either by opening the srt file direct or using Open>Movie. Yet all plays well using VLC. The srt file looks fine to me. I ran SRTWiz on it. I opened it in NotePad copied to new instance and resaved. I opened it in SW and resaved as a subrip. I believe the srt is OK, but who knows. What I do know is that when the srt is present in the directory, the video will not play, yet when it is not present, it plays.

I still believe the problem may be caused by ffdshow. As I said, I use this software, but do not know exactly what’s going on behind the scenes when I’m using it. This problem has made that all too clear. With a newly created copy of the video file (Divfix output), and a clean copy of the srt, I open the srt from within SW. ffdshow shows the VFW, 2 audio and 1 video instances in my task bar. The subtitles are visible however the video is a black dead screen and there is no audio. SW is not playing the file and just sits there doing nothing, however the subtitles are present.

When I right-click on the ffdshow video decoder icon in my task bar and select DirectVobSub (Auto loadingVersion), a window pops open, but still nothing happens. As I begin clicking on the various tabs within this window nothing happens until I click on the “color” tab. At that point the audio/video begins playing in WS (although a bit jerky, it does play). If it gets stuck, I simply click on the tabs in the same window and it become unstuck again.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled VobSub and done a complete reinstall of ffdshow and SW v2.51. I’d love to understand why this is happening and how to solve it, but it appears to be beyond my current knowledge level. I don't know what else to try, but I will keep these files around and make other attempts if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks again for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I had exactly the same issue as you with Urusoft running on Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 and I agree with you that it isn't a Vista problem.

Anyway. After several uninstalls and reinstalls of both Urusoft and ffdshow I fixed the problem reinstalling ffdshow without Avisynth. Don't know if going to help with your problem but worths a shot and also worked for me. My problem was the same as you. Sound but no video. As a matter of fact when I had the issue the only icon that appeared in the systray was the ffdhow audio (blue) and now is showing both, audio and video (blue and red).

I'm sorry for my English but my native language is portuguese

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have exactly the same problem just now. The srt file stops the video from playing using Zoom player and WMP. I have used subtitlesworkshop to save the file again, still same problem. Then as I use Zoom Player V5 I used the Zoom Player install centre to update the Directvobsub from V2.33 to V2.37 then the video would play with the srt. I think you could also fix problem by installing Gabest DirectVobSub v2.37 from http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/formats/vsfilter.shtml. I suspect my problem with this srt file started when I installed VobSub_2.23.exe because I need the vobsub idx/sub cutter. When I updated Directvobsub using the Zoom Player Install Centre I also updated FFDshow at the same time.

Quote Quote  
  10. Hi guys!

Windows 7 users!
    go to start and type: ffdshow video settings and find RAW video.

It is set to DISABLE. You set it to YV12 and that should solve your problem with editing mkv videos and subtitles

version: subtitle workshop 2.51

here is the video how to edit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S43GY8jRtGk
    Last edited by intxyz; 27th Aug 2010 at 04:45.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks intxyz. That saved me heaps of time. I was having the same problems with blank screen playing .mkv file running Win7 (32bit). Your fix worked 100%.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Berex View Post
    Thanks intxyz. That saved me heaps of time. I was having the same problems with blank screen playing .mkv file running Win7 (32bit). Your fix worked 100%.
    Well, it didn't exactly work for me, but changing it to "all supported" instead of "yv12" did. Guess it depends on the type of video the .mkv has.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by burcs View Post
    Originally Posted by Berex View Post
    Thanks intxyz. That saved me heaps of time. I was having the same problems with blank screen playing .mkv file running Win7 (32bit). Your fix worked 100%.
    Well, it didn't exactly work for me, but changing it to "all supported" instead of "yv12" did. Guess it depends on the type of video the .mkv has.
    That worked for me. There was one movie that wasnt running (at first it was all of then, but i noticed that i didnt have DirectX installed here). But when i changed the Raw Video to YV12 the last video worked fine.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hello it is still not working with me:
    if i select YV12 : the screen remains black
    If i select all : Subtitle Workshop stop working and windows ask me to close it

Windows 7 64 bits
    Direct X 11
    FFDSHow 3.7004
    Subtitle Workshop 2.51

Any idea ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Voldor,
    I have the same problem with Windows 7 that was not Appeared in Windows XP.

did you find any simple satisfactory solution?
    Quote Quote  
  16. I tried also ffdshow and not working. But for me worked installing vobsub 2.23 as i see in other posts.

Hope it wokrs also for others so i put it here.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    It helps me too. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Open properties of DirectVobSub and in the general tab click on Loading.
    Set to 'do not load' and all videos should preview in subtitle workshop!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	32148
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	11332  

Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by terrier33 View Post
    Man, a billion thanks, this definitely worked for me.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by terrier33 View Post
    Man, that was awesome!! I've been having trouble with this issue for weeks and your trick did the job neatly. Forever grateful.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Everyone,

I set mine to YV12 and all i got was audio, So i tried - all supported and now Subtitle Workshop 2.51 plays mp4 and mkv
    Quote Quote