VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

I want to rip and encode DVD with flawless steps (meaning the best way of doing it). (BTW anime DVD ripping)

There are plenty ways of doing it. Usually I am following this steps;
    -DGIndex import VOB files,
    -extract d2v file,
    -Open this file at MeGui AVS Creator and do filtering.
    -encode and mux.....
    For episodic anime DVD, the steps above little hard and time consuming;

But there is pretty handy tool for this job: MakeMKV. It preserves video, audio, vobsub, chapters for each title found on DVD.
    Creates Mkv files for each title. For me only encoding video in mkv left.

The question is I can't use mpeg2source for the video in mkv.
    I am able to use ffvideosource instead mpe2source. May this create a problem or should I use only Mpeg2Source on dvd sources.(I think I saw something like that on web).

The other question is color problem. Likely dvd has bad colors.
    I want to tweak it little without over saturation or losing detail.
    "Tweak" func. can't do it like the way I want.
    Tried "ColorYUV" and "Autolevels" they did it but overdid.
    Tried converting tv->pc level but it's lossy too.
    Isn't there a way to doing it manually and If is there What are you using usually for this job.
    (some example values may be helpful. of course values different for other sources but It can give idea to me at least.)

Thanks for helps.
    I am newbie at this and trying to learn with your helps.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Co-incidentally, I'm in the process of converting a bunch of episode DVDs using x264. I'd previously converted them to AVI so I had the vob files remuxed as MKVs and backed up to a Bluray disc because a couple of the original discs were a real pain to rip. I don't think they were pressed very well and it took quite a bit of time to get everything off them. One disc I had to use in three different drives before I got it all. Anyway......

I've been happily converting the MKVs containing the original mpeg2 video after indexing with ffmsindex (using MeGUI) without any issue. I think the method used to index the files has more to do with the container format than the video format itself, although naturally the video inside has to be a supported type.

Edit: One thought..... Sometimes when converting DVDs a delay needs to be applied the audio. Usually the amount of delay is written to the name of the audio stream after it's demuxed, then automatically applied when it's added to the encoded video. ffmsindex appears not to do the same thing when demuxing MKVs so it might pay to check manually. If you open an MKV with MediaInfo and there's an audio delay (at least when it comes to AC3 audio), the amount of delay should be reported under the audio section (HTML view). If there is one, you'd need to manually apply the same delay when remuxing the audio after encoding.
    The DVDs I'm currently converting generally don't have any audio delay, but I knew there was definitely one episode which did so I checked the MKV created from the vob file using MediaInfo, and it reported the correct delay, however it wasn't written to the audio stream when ffmsindex extracted it. I applied the delay manually when muxing and everything was fine).

I don't do much "enhancing" at all when encoding, but on the odd occasion I do, I tend to do it the lazy way and decode via directshow in order to use ffdshow's filters. That way it's nice and easy to adjust them using ffdshow's GUI while the video is playing. I can't imagine decoding an MKV via directshow in order to re-encode it would be likely to cause a problem. Well.... I've re-encoded lots of AVIs and MKVs containing mpeg4 video that way, I don't think mpeg2 should be a problem as long as it's still de-interlaced properly etc (if need be).
    Last edited by hello_hello; 22nd Apr 2012 at 00:45.
    Quote Quote