VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I posted this is the wrong forum (Restoration) before. Apologies for the double post.
    --

I've a question about capturing video to work with remotely. My capturing equipment is in Ireland and I currently live in the US so I have a brief window during Christmas to start getting some home videos (PAL format) on VHS tapes digitized (times flies depressingly ).

The equipment I have in Ireland is:
    • JVC HR-S8965 (S-VHS);
    • Canopus ADVC-100;
    • Laptop with Intel Core i7-2630QM (2GHz, 4-core) and 8 GB RAM (Windows 7).

I've been looking at this thread again (with loads of great information) to get an idea of what filters to use and the conclusion I reached is that I will need time to work out different settings for different videos.

My plan is to capture all the videos using WinDV or something similar in Ireland. Based on the bitrates so far, I'll be able to bring all the captures back to the US on a hard disk so I can spend time there cleaning up the video or adjusting HSV etc. if necessary.

My question is whether this workflow is a good idea i.e. is there something I should be doing during capturing to improve the quality before the encoding in WinDV? I will check all the captures to make sure they look fine but I'm still worried about hitting the problem that grannyGeek mentioned here when I'm back in the States with no access to the sources.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please don't cross post. I removed your other thread.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry about that. I shouldn't have posted this in the Restoration forum in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You want to start with the best capture you can. S-video connection to the Canopus and turn on the VCR's TBC.
    WinDV basically does a file dump of the ADVC-100's output.

If you feel there is a problem with the capture, post a small sample to the forum.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the advice. I'm reading through the manuals again at the moment and think I have the appropriate settings:
    • TBC and Noise Reduction (NR) on;
    • Video stabilizer off (you can use this or TBC/NR but not both);
    • Biconditional Equalised Signal Tracking (BEST) on. This checks the condition of the tape in use and compensates during playback "to give the best quality possible";
    • Picture Control set to AUTO which is meant to provide the optimised picture benefits of the BEST picture system;
    These are probably JVC- if not model-specific but I listed them in case anyone has different advice.

The video player is connected to the ADVC 110 using the S-video connection and L/R audio inputs. I've captured some video now (an old tape, not the home videos) and it looks as good as I expected. I've attached a screenshot from VirtualDub with the original frame on the left and a deinterlaced (blend fields, keep top field) frame on the right.

I won't actually be deinterlacing the video when I process it later. I just did this test to get an idea of what quality I can expect without any experimentation. I still have a lot of reading to do before getting started.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CapTest.png
Views:	220
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	10348  

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very hard to judge with a still shot, seems slightly grainy, which I hear is a common result
    with the Canopus box.

Regarding the VCR's settings, perhaps somebody else will chime in with some specifics for you.
    Quote Quote