VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

2 questions:
    What's the best way to burn a dvd image of a movie?
    What's the best kind of DVD to use?

I've had the most success mounting the image and burning it through the "Burn DVD from Video TS folder" option in Toast.

I was also told that DVD-R is compatible with most DVD players so I don't use DVD+R.
    However I recently burned a DVD-R that seemed perfectly fine but part of it started skipping at the end.
    I'm pretty sure this is a software issue not a scratched DVD issue.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Comments deleted.
    I failed to read the "Mac" header.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. Assuming the image file is good, Disk Utility can burn that back to a disc.
    2. Verbatim -R (Apple's official recommendation...and they're right)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kelman4
    However I recently burned a DVD-R that seemed perfectly fine but part of it started skipping at the end.
    I'm pretty sure this is a software issue not a scratched DVD issue.

Thanks.
    I'm pretty sure that it's not a software issue. This is a common problem, and the usual cause is either an iffy burn (can be caused by fingerprints, too) or bad media. The end of the movie is located near the outer edges, so if you are sloppy about handling the discs, any smudges will cause a marginal burn. Also, cheap media may have a combination of runout/poor flatness (causing worsening tracking/focus at the outer edges) and poor reflectivity (reducing signal strength; worse near the outer edges, which spin faster). Slower burns can help, but the best cure is to use high quality media, and to be sure to handle the disc ONLY by the edges. This last consideration is far more important before the burn than after (but is always important).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kelman4
    Hi there,

I've had the most success mounting the image and burning it through the "Burn DVD from Video TS folder" option in Toast.
    If you have Toast then use the Image File setting in the Copy window to burn disc images to disc.

The skipping is most likely a media problem. You might try telling Toast to burn at a speed slower than Best. Set the speed after the blank disc is recognized.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies. I'll give these a try.
    Quote Quote