VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been using VLC to record clips from x264 files for a while now without any issues, but when I tried to do the same thing with x265 files, the clip VLC saved had only the audio track, no video frames. I'd like to avoid converting my files, but is there anything I can do/download so I can work around this issue?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Recording clips? Like cut out clips with the record button/feature?

You could always try latest vlc media player beta, http://download.videolan.org/testing/2.2.2/macosx/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah, using the record button to save short clips from my files.

I've tried using the beta version, and it still records only audio, no video. Is there a different app I could use instead?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't tried cut any x265 video files. But you could try latest avidemux and see if can read them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Currently the only way I know how to cut HEVC/x265 videos is to use the split option with mkvmerge, which will give me a very approximate cut. Within 10 seconds of what I want, depending on the size of the GOP and where the I-frames are relative to where I want to cut. This works great with closed-GOP encodings, and may cause errors with open-GOP encodings. Obviously this is not a great option, but works when you don't want to re-encode.
    Quote Quote