VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there away to capture the feed from netflix instant viewing?
    I would hate to start watching it and then have something else come up and the computer crash or reboot and I lost my movie.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have never tried this, but it appears that Netflix is using video files protected with Windows Media DRM for this. First you will need to find a program capable of capturing streaming video. Search under the Tools section. Second, assuming the capture works, you will need to find a way to strip the DRM out of the file you just saved to watch it again. FairPlay4WM may or may not work for this.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone else actually done this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd plug the S-Video out on my laptop into the S-Video in on my Hauppauge PVR card and hit record...But that's because that's what I've got.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking for a way to rip it from the feed rather than from an analog transfer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This may sound primitive but I am a mechanic not a electronics guy. Why can't the input to the monitor and the input to the speakers be used somehow to get the signals into the HD or other recording device? Seems like this would be a direct capture of already clean signals!
    B
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    From one of the articles:
    Circumventing DRM restrictions may (or may not) be in violation of various laws.
    Discussing the methods used is also a violation of our rules.

From our rules:

Warez includes downloaded copyrighted movies and TV-series/shows and copying rented movies.
    And if Netflix detects you, they may also ban you as a member.

But that method doesn't work anymore, anyway. Netflix is using MS Silverlight now, not WMP, AFAIK.
    Quote Quote  
  9. One would think just pointing a camcorder at your computer screen would copy just about anything.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    But that method doesn't work anymore, anyway. Netflix is using MS Silverlight now, not WMP, AFAIK.
    You are correct. Nobody has yet (as far as I know) found a way to defeat Silverlight. I have to give MS credit with this one. They have split the files into separate audio and video streams EACH of which is DRMed, which ups the ante quite a bit for those who want to capture the streams. I have no idea if any of the existing stream capturing programs can deal with this or not.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Copying with a camcorder is not as bad as it sounds. I used to copy 35MM slides this way and the projection quality of my slide show was very good from the tape. The same thing should be able to be done with a very high resolution small TV and a high quality cam. Sound should be easy too!
    Comments?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Replay media capture works
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why bother capturing the stream. Why not just rent the dvd and copy it? Either way it's illegal and you will be banned from Netflix, if and when the find out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^ Good point...but one reason is that $8.95 a month is for unlimited viewing. If one could "instantly" cap a stream, you'd get hundreds of more flix a month. I think that someone will come up with a program to cap it soon...if not already.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. There are a couple of programs which can do screen capture by corel, techsmith, magix, wisdom-software and so on, sum are free.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A while ago I was looking for those kind of screencapturing software to record some shows from hulu. I found Tunebite which captured all the video streaming I wanted, I also saw that it works with Netflix too. As far as I saw Netflix's files are encryped ones like hulu and not flash video so tunebite as screen recorder can capture Netflix's video streaming. I'm not using it for a long time but I really like its features, it's very helpful, it can be used as hulu downloader, as youtube downloader and as any other flash videos downloader. Converts the audio and video files to 3gp for my phone and to any other formats I need.
    I found a step by step tutorial about how to record video stream from Netflix:
    http://audials.com/en/how_to_record_stream_capture_music_videos_movies_from/netflix.html
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    #1 way to capture netflix. EASY, no way to get in trouble and all ppl can do this as long as you have space in your HD. Download and use the free program FRAPS! You hit f12 and it captures all video and sound when you have your movie in fullscreen! thats it nothing to it. lol plus you can record yourself working or doing a tutorial on software. or record your video game play! its #1.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lxgoffxi View Post
    Download and use the free program FRAPS!
    FRAPS isn't free.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    FRAPS isn't free.

Fraps isnt free anymore, wow! Why isn't the topic locked. this is so WRONG!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just thought I'd correct what lxgoffxi had written about FRAPS, that's all. Take your sarcasm somewhere else, please.

If you think the topic should be locked, click on the Report link and leave a message to the moderators about it.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Actually I was being seriously, I used FRAPS when I was hardcore gaming, but haven't in a year or so. I didn't realized until now that it wasn't FREE. Calm DOWN!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    wow... you guys better toughen up before one of us really old timers rip into you

Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    FRAPS isn't free.
    downloaded it and used it free!? I didn't notice any trial and it worked no problems. I didn't pay a dime.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by PharmBoy View Post
    Is there away to capture the feed from netflix instant viewing?
    Yes, there is a way to capture Netflix. Just try Audials One or Audials Tunebite. The tools are easy to use and you can record Netflix videos and movies and convert them to any format.

http://audials.com/en/how_to_record_stream_capture_music_videos_movies_from/netflix.html
    Quote Quote