VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have an old ATI adapter from eons ago that supposedly converted DVI to 1080i for the following card families:
    Radeon 9500 series
    Radeon 9550 series
    Radeon 9600 series
    Radeon 9700 series
    Radeon 9800 series

Now want to get a PCIE one. Suggestions? I prefer to stay with the "built by ATI" ones and want dual display.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just saw the DVDFab stuff. I was asking because of being given a component TV to use as a monitor w/o hdmi. Sure hope this doesn't make these cards hard to get now. Bad timing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    where else but ebay ??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dianedebuda View Post
    Have an old ATI adapter from eons ago that supposedly converted DVI to 1080i for the following card families:
    Radeon 9500 series
    Radeon 9550 series
    Radeon 9600 series
    Radeon 9700 series
    Radeon 9800 series

Now want to get a PCIE one. Suggestions? I prefer to stay with the "built by ATI" ones and want dual display.
    I don't think your chances of finding a PCI-e card to work with that adapter are good. The type of connection used for the component TV-Out port on ATI video cards that included one varied. More recent AMD/ATI cards with TV out have a mini-din connector of some kind, not a DVI-type port, and the pinout used isn't always the same. If you buy a new card with TV out and the component video adapter is not included, you should contact the maker about buying the correct accessory. It may be difficult to find the right one on ebay or elsewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't think the 9000 series cards could play 1080i/1080p. I bought an HD2400XT to play 1080 on an Intel DG965WH motherboard with 3.4Ghz Pentium D and it was hit and miss what 1080 files it would play. I ended up giving the PC to someone else and building a new PC with a Gigabyte ga-e35dsl3p MB, Q6600 cpu and GeForce GTS450.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I guess I'm a dummy. For some reason, I mis-remembered that the Radeon pci-e videos started somewhere in the late 9000s. Looks like I may be up a creek. Got mb with AGP, but only single core. Got dual-core mb with PCI-E, but none of the DVI-Component Radeons fit & think the pci ones wouldn't do too well. That would just leave an active DVI or VGA to Component contraption. May be a gift that's just too expensive to keep Anyone else have a brainstorm?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I've been to the Egg & saw a couple of VisionTek cards, but my recollection is that VisionTek was not a particularly good vendor.
    Last edited by dianedebuda; 11th Mar 2014 at 21:11.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I captured over 250 hours of VHS tapes and probably that many TV shows with ATI 7500 and 9600XT AIW's on single-core Pentium 3 and Pentium 4 machines, with Win98 thru XP. Both of those cards are now used on HD monitors. The limitations to HD playback and processing with those cards is related to low video RAM and slow AGP motherboards that were not designed for HD processing and oodles of memory for 64-bit h264 processing. But I play BD movies on them, no problem. And having seen what "other" captures can't do, I'll be capturing with them until they burn out.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 03:19.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had an ATI 7500 64MB PCI card also (2003-2007) which captured and played 720x480 content with no problem at all but to be able to capture and play HD content, I needed a HD capture card since I couldn't run the ATI card with another graphics card. I bought a Hauppauge card for capture and the HD2400XT. I tried the TV Wonder card but the 1st one was broken and the 2nd one sucked. The Hauppauge worked well for a while but I needed the 1212 PVR to capture from my cable box and a better graphics card.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dianedebuda View Post
    Well, I guess I'm a dummy. For some reason, I mis-remembered that the Radeon pci-e videos started somewhere in the late 9000s. Looks like I may be up a creek. Got mb with AGP, but only single core. Got dual-core mb with PCI-E, but none of the DVI-Component Radeons fit & think the pci ones wouldn't do too well. That would just leave an active DVI or VGA to Component contraption. May be a gift that's just too expensive to keep Anyone else have a brainstorm?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I've been to the Egg & saw a couple of VisionTek cards, but my recollection is that VisionTek was not a particularly good vendor.
    No brainstorms here.

However, I think passing on that gift makes some sense given how much money you need to spend to use it. Also, although a 1080i component connection is OK for playing video, it is not going to look particularly good displaying typical Windows programs.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a AIW 9800Pro in my "maybe someone will want this" box and you have me feeling greedy now.
    Quote Quote