VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Some time ago I found many samples from VideoFred. Very nice scripts to restore 8mm film shoots.

But there is an interesting effect that I didn't realize yet how he could do. How to correct the camera shake. Look at this sample attached. How it could be done using Avisynth scripts?

I could notice that there is a crop around the fixed video exactly to achieve the effect. But how to do it with Avisynth scripts? Or it would be done using NLE tools?
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try deshaker for vdub
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
    try deshaker for vdub
    Good tip. I didn't know about DeShaker. Thx.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. There's also DePan in AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    There's also DePan in AviSynth.
    jagabo, I'll try DePan tomorrow.

I took a look at DeShaker and the result looks very good. And the possibility to have a GUI is a plus to it. Yes, I can use AvsPmod with DePan, but all the settings that shows the possibilities at DeShaker screen will help more. Thx too.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. DeShaker is better than Depan. Depan hasn't been updated in years.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jairovital View Post
    Some time ago I found many samples from VideoFred. Very nice scripts to restore 8mm film shoots.

But there is an interesting effect that I didn't realize yet how he could do. How to correct the camera shake. Look at this sample attached. How it could be done using Avisynth scripts?

I could notice that there is a crop around the fixed video exactly to achieve the effect. But how to do it with Avisynth scripts?
    I agree with jagabo that DeShaker in VirtualDUB is better than anything you can do in AVIsynth.

But VideoFred's results are all from AVIsynth, and the exact script he used is in the thread that you linked to! You can delete the parts you don't need. (and/or just keep the part you do - the script is quite well commented).

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    But VideoFred's results are all from AVIsynth, and the exact script he used is in the thread that you linked to! You can delete the parts you don't need. (and/or just keep the part you do - the script is quite well commented).
    Thank you, David. Indeed, there are many comments and tips about DePan along the whole thread. I'll read them and make some tests too.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Stab:
    Code:
    temp = last.TemporalSoften(7,255,255,25,2)
    Interleave(temp.Repair(last.TemporalSoften(1,255,255,25,2)),last)
    DePan(last,data=DePanEstimate(last,trust=0,dxmax=10,dymax=10),offset=-1)
    SelectEvery(2,0)
    see: http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Stab
    is a nice example how to use DePan,...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...but with dxmax=10,dymax=10 it's only for small amounts of shaking.
    Quote Quote  
  11. yup, for larger jitter, larger values have to be used,..
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    ...but with dxmax=10,dymax=10 it's only for small amounts of shaking.
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    yup, for larger jitter, larger values have to be used,..
    As I understood, DeShaker makes its own calculations to determine the amount of shaking to apply.
    How to know the correct amount of deshaker to apply with DePan? Is always try-an-error to use Avisynth DePan?
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yes, it's kind of try-and-error since the filter can not know which jitter motion is intended and which is ment to be compensated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The values are the most correction that will be applied. You don't need to get them "right". They're only there as a back-stop to guard against DePan doing something stupid. Or to leave a bit of wobble in if the image actually jumps most of the height or width of the frame (and correcting it fully would leave you with a half-blank frame).

DeShaker has exactly the same parameters that you can set for exactly the same reason.

I find the motion estimation to be a bit better in DeShaker.

Both can get confused when something in the image moves (e.g. a person filling the frame while walking past the camera), but IME DePan gets confused more easily than DeShaker. The invert levels trick in VideoFred's script (which isn't in stab() above) seems to help DePan a bit.

Go and try the various options and you'll soon see what works best for your footage. Try it on a little bit as a test.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Stab() is really meant for projector film bounce. Hence the small motion parameters.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    ... I find the motion estimation to be a bit better in DeShaker.
    Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    ... Go and try the various options and you'll soon see what works best for your footage. Try it on a little bit as a test.
    David, your comments and explanations were very useful. That's why Videohelp is the best place to learn and to know more about videos.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'd like to test DeShaker on this video.

Using default parameters I got this.

Do you guys recommends other settings for better results?
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's surprisingly good, given the source.

For your own videos, try to use a faster shutter speed to minimise blur when the camera shakes - that's the biggest problem in the "fixed" video here.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    For your own videos, try to use a faster shutter speed to minimise blur when the camera shakes - that's the biggest problem in the "fixed" video here.
    Thx, David, for your comment and suggestion. But the question is about the right parameters to change in the filter to achieve better results, in this sample. DeShaker has too many settings and I'm not sure what really they do.

P.S. That camera was not mine.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure it can be much better for this sample. It's working about as well as it can. You can crop less if you want. The major problem (the bluring during movement) is unfixable.

How would you like it to look different?

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    How would you like it to look different?
    Never mind. I was just trying to learn better those many parameters. Trying to know better the filter. It's fine.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote