VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi I've got myself an ezcap to transfer my old video camera tapes to DVD. I have Honestech VHS to DVD 3.0SE that came with it.

Now my problem is that the quality of the dvd is not like it is watching it on the tele direct from the camera. I'm just wondering of I have any settings wrong or what settings to i need to select.

Thanks
    Matt
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. Confirm that you do have an Ezcap. That should be Ezcap116 but confirm the model no.

2. What type of camera/tapes ?

3. Make sure you have that capture program set for PAL (assuming your recordings are PAL)

4. What particular issues ? Video tearing,jumping etc. ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    1:Its this USB device:

2: It's an old Samsung My cam model VP-K80

3: I'm using Pal_I

4: there seems to be a little band around the edge of the video and every now and then it has a flicker on the top section of the image, but when viewing it through view finder on camera it's fine

also the iamge isnt as clear as in the view finder on the camera
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now you may not worry since the device 'works' - not as you want it to but it does work - but I feel due bound to advise that you do not have a genuine EZcap.

Look at www.ezcap.tv for the genuine article (different capture software too) and I suspect you did not pay much for this.

Bu you may care to upload a short sample to show these artifacts. They might be fixable but probably with avisynth which has a steep learning curve.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by greerie View Post
    Hi I've got myself an ezcap to transfer my old video camera tapes to DVD. I have Honestech VHS to DVD 3.0SE that came with it.

Now my problem is that the quality of the dvd is not like it is watching it on the tele direct from the camera. I'm just wondering of I have any settings wrong or what settings to i need to select.
    I have to go along with db83. Also have some questions:

What kind of camera? Are the tapes analog or digital8?

Capture of either format directly to DVD isn't the best idea (expect artifacts).

What kind of artifacts?

db83 suggested that you give us a sample. We definitely need one. If your capture is DVD, you can cut about 10 seconds or so using the free DGIndex and post it here. Easy to use. A former member posted a quick tutorial on how to cut a sample and post it https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/359295-Record-without-interlacing?p=2272359&viewful...=1#post2272359. Easier to do it than to describe it.

Otherwise, not much more anyone can say.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is probably an even easier way to get that required sample. Yes, you are recording for dvd but I suspect that capture program just creates dvd-compliant mpeg2 files.

Load one of those into avidemux (don't worry about the avi bit) wait for the program to index the file. Mark the sample with the A/B markers. Select copy for video and audio (although audio is not so important here) and mpeg-ps for the format and save as 'filename'.mpg .

Upload as an attachment.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I've uploaded a little video clip on the link above.

Thanks
    MAtt
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. I doubt that the software captures as mp4. DVD is NOT mp4 - it is mpeg-2. So you have re-encoded the original so compromised it even more.

We need an original capture.

And post it direct to the forum as an attachment to your reply and not rely on some third-party hosting. We only need 1-20 secs with movment and showing the artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To be totally fair, I did download that clip.

1. It's a weird aspect ratio.
    2. It's not even PAL since its 30 fps
    3. As I suspected it's not mpeg-2.

That looks like camera-phone footage. So capturing that as PAL 25 fps will cause issues before you start.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I believe he used the camera phone to show the flagging. Unless it's a simple tracking issue (doubtful,) OP is going to need a TBC to fix it properly
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    sorry yeah thats just videod using my mobile to show you the video.

I'll try and upload a proper version of it later.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also, from the original description I was expecting to see colour-banding at the top. Hard to tell with that tiny frame.

But I agree. There is evidence of time-base errors which are not correctable in software so additional hardware is then required.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!