VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. delete
    Last edited by Aravindtop; 7th Jun 2016 at 14:39. Reason: EDIT 1: added more info. EDIT 2: corrected title. EDIT 3: added a word. EDIT 4: grammar. EDIT 5: added to end.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No. Compressing=reconverting=losing quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Aravindtop View Post
    I apologize beforehand if this post is in the wrong section.

I have about 200 GB of anime on my hard drive, each episode is usually about 300 MB - 600 MB. I would like to know if there is a way to compress ALL of these files without ANY quality loss in the Video, Audio, or Subtitle sectors of the MKV file. I DO NOT want to hardcode the subtitles and they are in a .ass/ssa format. About 90% of the anime are BDRips with 720p video. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Sure. There are a number of lossless data compression algorithms, ranging from simple .zip files (which use the Deflate compression algorithm) to more powerful algorithms like LZMA2 (found in .zipx or .7z).

Image and video compression algorithms like JPEG, JPEG-2000, H.264 and H.265 have lossless modes defined as extensions to these standards. For video compression algorithms like H.264 and H.265, after motion estimation (finding similar blocks of video in the same frame or nearby frames), the residual error is calculated. Instead of transforming (converting to the frequency domain) and quantizing (low-pass filtering) the residual error, the full residual error is encoded, and then losslessly compressed (entropy encoding) as always. For a good explanation, see http://www.stanford.edu/class/ee398b/handouts/lectures/LosslessVideoCoding.pdf.

Note - at the moment, x265 doesn't explicitly support lossless encoding... but we plan to add this capability in the coming weeks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The sad thing about anime is you can lose quit a lot of 'quality' and not notice. In fact, if you run a few denoisers through it you could probably compress it to almost nothing and it would most likely look better than the original.
    Quote Quote  
  5. delete
    Last edited by Aravindtop; 7th Jun 2016 at 14:51.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I really don't think 'Mini MKV' is an official term. If you recompress a Blu Ray rip with any program that uses X264 you can easily make a smaller file, I think the term 'Mini MKV' is just something some idiot made up to describe the difference. There are plenty of programs and plenty of ways to do what you're asking. Handbrake is a place to start. There's a lot more too: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/video-encoders-h264-vc1

If you want to get complicated you could also try AVISynth and X264 directly at some point.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Aravindtop View Post
    I learned about this thing called "Mini MKV" which simply lowers the bit rate with minimal quality loss.
    For chrissakes. There is NO such thing as a "Mini MKV container". It's just a bit rate issue. And there's ENORMOUS quality loss in encoding to 100Mb for any significant length video. Lordsmurf made a comment on another thread recently about the quality of knowledge going downhill here. He's right.

I torrented a 720p BDRip of Fate/Zero which was converted to what APPEARS to be Mini MKV container (Not 100% sure) and while watching it, I didn't notice much of a difference between the original BD rip and this version (Each episode was hanging around 100 MB). How do I do this??
    Warez discussion not allowed here.

If you didn't notice a quality difference between a 100Mb double re encode and a reasonably sized one I can think of several possibilities:

- you need glasses and you're watching it on a small phone screen.

- the encoding in the larger file you watched was completely botched and you don't have enough sense to notice. Very common with warez downloaders.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here are the Matroska Specs:

http://www.matroska.org/

It doesn't mention Mini MKV at all. If you can give us the exact specifications on what qualifies as a 'Mini MKV' we can give you options to achieve it's creation, if you can't give us that information, then you're not really asking a question, and we can't answer questions that aren't questions, which is why all you're getting from us is Bulls#$t.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    Here are the Matroska Specs:

http://www.matroska.org/

It doesn't mention Mini MKV at all. If you can give us the exact specifications on what qualifies as a 'Mini MKV' we can give you options to achieve it's creation, if you can't give us that information, then you're not really asking a question, and we can't answer questions that aren't questions, which is why all you're getting from us is Bulls#$t.
    This is the blind leading the merely uninformed.

There's no point expecting the OP to open that and read it. Matroska is a container. Whether you can encode video that small and make it watchable ... which you can't if you're not legally blind ... has nothing to do with the container.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    This is the blind leading the merely uninformed.
    I'm well aware an MKV is just a container, the point is, we can't tell him how to make a 'Mini Mkv' if we can't define what one is exactly. Wether it's practical to make one is irrelevant, we all know it's possible, but we have no idea what the outcome is supposed to be.

Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Whether you can encode video that small and make it watchable ... which you can't if you're not legally blind ...
    As always, it depends on the source. He's talking about anime, which generally can be processed to hell with no one noticing the difference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The magic words here are "acceptable/minimal quality loss", which is so totally subjective, no one can rightfully answer with out examples and/or further details & explanations being given by the OP.

"mini MKV", what a joke! Is that like a mini-fraction?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    "mini MKV", what a joke! Is that like a mini-fraction?
    This is anime we are referring to here, so God knows what it contains. My observational experience is that anime files usually use the most bizarre and incompatible codecs possible, so it could contain anything. And anime file sharers love to reinvent the wheel. It may just refer to squeezing down BD size rips to CD size. I agree with ndjamena that animation can be shrunk down quite a bit with minimal quality loss, but again, depends on who is doing what and how picky the viewer is.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Aravindtop View Post
    I apologize beforehand if this post is in the wrong section.

I have about 200 GB of anime on my hard drive, each episode is usually about 300 MB - 600 MB. I would like to know if there is a way to compress ALL of these files without ANY quality loss in the Video, Audio, or Subtitle sectors of the MKV file. I DO NOT want to hardcode the subtitles and they are in a .ass/ssa format. About 90% of the anime are BDRips with 720p video. Thanks in advance for your help.

EDIT: Incorrect wording. I am fine with SOME quality loss, as long as it is not noticeable.
    Don't wanna loose quality doing a compression...
    But, to compress a mkv is mostly to a mp4.
    So... the only problem here is the subtitle. Mp4 with floating subs? I haven`t seen any.

1. Could you pls tell what kind of compression you wanna do? (mp4, avi, another mkv...)
    2. If you don't compress video and subs (no hardcode subs) or resolution, just use yamb to get a mp4 without losing any quality loss.
    3. If there is some other thing completely different what you want... specify clearly to get a correct and prompt answer.

----

1. What do you wanna do with the subs in the mkv then?

Special note: X264 codec (mostly used on mkv), has an option to encode with a minimum quality loss. But, you have to do it in the most slowest of all options (crf 1 or choosing option in codec).
    Besides, something that minimum, is nearly impossible to noticed with naked eye (unless you have an electron microscope attached on it... and watching on a 10bit monitor [8bit can't, even with a Microscope in both eyes]).
    Last edited by luisppk; 29th Apr 2014 at 02:55.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, let's get practical here, assuming the OP hasn't left in disgust by now. ASS is a text based subtitle format so you're not getting much smaller than that, srts might be a little smaller but you'll lose some formatting during the conversion, which probably won't be worth the effort.

My iPhone versions of Ben 10: Alien Force are 22 minutes long each, encoded with a resolution of 1024x576 at CRF22 with 160kbps Nero AAC stereo audio, each episode is less than 150mb in size and sadly despite the extra de-noising I add and the extra 4 - 8 CFR points, when I play them on my WDTV I can't actually tell the difference between them and the higher quality encodes. There is some leeway here. (Older animation won't compress as well, they come with noise, even if you remove the noise it will still leave artefacts behind, warping the images from frame to frame, plus they weren't animated as cleanly in the first place, so reference frames won't be as effective as it is in modern computer generated animation). You could probably get away with an even higher CRF, and maybe even go down to 128kbps audio (make sure to encode AAC with either Nero AACEnc or Apple iTunes though). You could even try resizing the video down. Ultimately you'll have to do some test encodes and see what you're happy with. (Of course depending on the GUI you choose, your processing options may be limited.) You may decide to keep the originals, but it's worth a try just to see.

We love AVISynth here, if you want the best quality encodes, download it and we'll show you how to get it working. Assuming you're still there...
    Last edited by ndjamena; 29th Apr 2014 at 18:23.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I compress 2 kinds of video from anime (mostly 24 minutes):
    1. mp4+aac, 1280x720 to watch them by usb in my led tv.
    2. Xvid+mp3, 848x480 to burn on dvd disk and wacth them using the Dvd player with Divx capability.

X264 I use 2 pass encode. Don't like CRF 'cause sometimes file size is unpredictable low.
    2pass encode for 1280x720, at 1600kbps (up to 2500 when anime is dark or with too much action sequences). Works great for me.

Xvid, despite talkings, is a nice codec. Can afford 1920x1080. But... file size would be 30% greater than using x264 for the same video.
    Xvid 2pass encode for 848x480, at 1400kbps (up to 2000 when anime is dark or too much action sequences), also looks very fine when burning to dvd disk and is used for watching on tv using the dvd player.

Obviously both of them (xvid+x264) with hard subs. Only way to guarantee sub effects, in karaokes, signs or even when 2 people are talking at the same time (imposible to srt).

-----

@ndjamena: You maybe right... but I hope at least this posts will be of use for anyone who needs the info.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!