VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I am trying to combine my subtitle .srt file with my 720p .mkv file. I have tried using "mkvmerge", but after the process completes, the subs still won't play. I use Zoom Player to play the .mkv file. The audio stream shows that the English subs are present, but they still do not play.

I'm not sure if the VirtualDubMod will work. I read the forum topic, but it suggests saving the file as .avi. I want to know if I can combine the .srt and .mkv and still have the .mkv file, just with hardcoded subtitles.

Please help!

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Zoom Player requires vsfilter for soft subtitles and maybe also haali media splitter for mkvs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, if I install vsfilter and haali media splitter, the mkvmerge application will work? Or will there be additional instructions?
    Quote Quote  
  4. It should work fine; you might have to "turn on" the subs, by right clicking the little green arrow (in the icon taskbar) when the video plays. By using mkvmerge, you have softsubs, not hardcoded subs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thanks, I'll let you know the outcome
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help, this worked. Is there a way to hard code the subs in an .mkv file? I have some movies that only portions of the movie require subtitles and I'd like for the subtitles to be hardcoded so when I play in Media Center, they will just start.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, use xvid4psp. Load mkv, load subtitle, change profile to mkv and convert. See https://forum.videohelp.com/topic360276.html

Extract subs from mkv using mkvextract.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks!!! I will try this tonight!
    Quote Quote