VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I create a backup of a DVD, or when I make my own DVDs from AVI files, I sometimes want to include additional subtitles in another language, while keeping the original menu and other extras. Although I could find many tips or principal approaches about how to do it, it wasn’t so easy to find a dummy’s guide, so I wrote it myself. There are probably many alternatives, but this one works for me. However, if somebody knows of a way to do it quicker, I would be very interested.

What do you need (see www.doom9.org or www.dvdrhelp.com):
    DVDshrink (release 3.0 beta 5)
    Subtitle workshop (to synchronise subtitles and convert them to SupRip *.srt format)
    Srt2sup (to convert *.srt files to *.sup subtitle streams)
    VobEdit 0.6b (to demux DVD *.vob files to movie and audio streams)
    IFOEdit (to put video, audio, and subtitles back together again)
     Optionally TMPGEnc and BeSweet (the first to demultiplex an avi-file to MPEG-2 m2v and mp2, the second to convert the audio from 44.1 to 48kHz sampling frequency)
     DVD burning software
     At least 9Gb available on your HD

The main steps are explained below:

1. Copy the original DVD to your hard disk using DVD Shrink (see Figure 1).
    a) Open disc
    b) Deselect everything you don’t need. As shown in the figure, here I tried to keep the original menu, which might work in some cases, but probably not in all. If you want to be certain, re-author the DVD and only drag the main movie title to the new window. Furthermore, in this new window, I only keep the original audio file, and th esubtitles I want. DVD Shrink automatically determines how much he needs to compress the movie in order to fit on a DVD+R.
    c) In order to keep room for the new subtitles, my last step is to set the movie’s compression ratio manually to 1% below the automatic setting.
    d) Backup DVD

Figure 1. DVD Shrink is used to extract the DVD to the HD.

2. Convert subtitles to SubRip (*.srt) format using Subtitle workshop (see Figure 2)
    While DVDshrink is creating a backup of my DVD, I download a subtitle and convert it using subtitle workshop to SubRip format. Note the input and output frame rate settings (2a). Knowing the length of my DVD (from its box), I can check the time of the last subtitle to see whether it was in NTSC or PAL (2c). Finally, save it as SubRip.

Further note that I first had some trouble to see the special characters correctly (2b+d): I had to use the Central European font in this tool, but I also needed to change my general computer settings (Control panel/Regional settings/Advanced/Non-unicode language/ to Romanian).

Subtitle workshop also allows you to synchronize your subtitles while viewing the movie (see Movie menu). In principal, for a DVD it shouldn’t be necessary, but if you are using an avi file, where the opening scenes have been shortened, do the following. Go to the first dialogue in the movie and press ALT-F. Then, go the last dialogue and press ALT-L. Now, synchronize using CTRL-B. Alternatively, if the first or last dialogue are not there, you can do the same for other subtitles, but now using CTRL-1 and CTRL-2. If this still doesn’t work, maybe the subtitles are based on a slightly different DVD, for example an American DVD where some juicy scenes have been removed.

Figure 2. Subtitle workshop allows you to synchronize your subtitles with the movie, and to convert many different formats to SubRip format.

3. Convert subtitles (*.srt) to a bitmap stream (*.sup) using SRT2SUP (see Figure 3).
    a) Open *.srt file
    b) Select Settings/Global settings and change the color and font that you want to use for your subtitles. For example, use a black transparent background, white letters, a silver outline (or set it to 0) and silver anti-aliasing.
    c) Select ‘All’ subtitles
    d) Save the sup file – this can take some time.
    e) Write down the IFO color settings (you need this later while using IfoEdit)
    Note that Srt2sup has a documented memory leak of 10kb per line, so after generating your *.sup file, close down the program.

Figure 3. Srt2Sup converts your subtitles to a 4 color-coded bitmap stream, which can be multiplexed with the DVD's video and audio streams.
    4. Demultiplex original DVD VOB files using VobEdit (see Figure 4)
    By this time, DVDshrink will probably be ready, and you have a set of IFO (InFOrmation), BUP (BackUP copies of IFO), and VOB (Video OBject) files on your hard disk. The largest IFO contains the movie.
    a) Start VobEdit, and open the DVDshrink movie (*.VOB) file. It has the same name as the largest IFO file (4c).
    b) Demux the VOB: as you already have selected everything in DVDshrink that you want to keep, you can demux all video (*.m2v), audio (*.ac3), and subtitles (*.sup) to a new location on your HD (4a+b).
    c) Optionally, if the original film was an avi-film that you converted to MPEG-2 and demultiplexed into an m2v and mp2 file using TMPGEnc, you may need to change the sampling frequency of the audio file from 44.1kHz to 48kHz using BeSweet in order to remain compatible with the DVD format. In that case, you might also need to change the extension of the audio file to m2a, so IfoEdit can see the file.

Figure 4. VobEdit is used to demultiplex the DVD's VOB (Video Object) files, i.e. to split them in separate video (*.mv2), audio (*.ac3) and subtitles (*.sup) files.

5. Author new DVD using IfoEdit (see Figure 5)
    a) Start IfoEdit and open IFO file of movie (same file as in step 4)
    b) Save cell times under the tools menu (tells you where a chapter begins) and CLOSE IfoEdit
    c) Start IfoEdit again and select menu item DVD Author/Author new DVD (this has to be the first thing that you do in IfoEdit, else this item is not available).
    d) Select the files created by VobEdit: first the m2v, then all audio files (you may have to change the extension to something that IfoEdit can read), finally all subtitles, including the one you created in step 3.
    e) Set the corresponding languages of all subtitles
    f) Load the cell times (previously saved in step 5b) for the chapters.
    g) Save the new VOB – this one containing your new subtitle!
    Note: If you don’t have a lot of free space on your HD, you can now delete the original VOB files used in step 4 (don’t delete the IFO file with the same name).
    h) Copy the subtitle color from the original IFO to the new IFO: open the original IFO (see Figure 6, h1), select VTS_PGC_1 (h2), and go to the subtitle color menu (h3): copy color info. Now, open the new IFO (h1), go to the same location (h2), and paste the color info. Save the IFO again (h4).
    Note: Depending on the color settings in srt2sup, you now have good color settings for the original subtitles, but maybe not for your own. I haven’t figured out a solution to this yet. You can change the color settings in srt2sup and try again (I tried several settings, and tested them all at the same time). Or you can manually enter the color info from SRT2SUP, generated at the end of the conversion (see Figure 3e), and enter the hexadecimal values in your IFO file (see Figure 6). Now, however, probably only your subs are OK, and the originals are lousy (in which case you might decide to leave them out: the perfectionist would convert the originals SUPs to text, e.g. by using SupRip, and back to SUP again using SRT2SUP, so all color settings are the same). In case you forgot to write down the color values, start SRT2SUP and use the Settings menu to show the colors again.
    i) Move the new IFO, BUP and VOBs back to the original location (where DVD Shrink wrote its output).

Figure 5. IfoEdit allows you to create new DVDs using its authoring tool: several video, audio, and subtitle streams can be multiplexed together to create new DVD VOB files.

Figure 6. IfoEdit also allows you to copy the original subtitle colors from the original DVD IFO (Information) file, i.e. the file that was originally ripped by DVD Shrink, to your own IFO file. Or you can set them manually (scroll down in the lower window – only the first 4 colors must be set).

6. Test the output and write to an empty DVD
    Using a DVD player (e.g. Nero ShowTime) that can play from the hard disk, you can already inspect whether the DVD you authored was correct. If you are satisfied, burn the files to a DVD (in the VIDEO_TS folder). In case that you maintained the original menu, you might have some troubles playing the movie (maybe there are some missing references in the new IFO file to the menu or video_ts.ifo file). In that case, try again, but now without the original menu. A bit unsatisfactorily, I realize, but I don’t know another solution (yet).

Comments or feedback can be sent to: Erik_Vullings@yahoo.com
    Quote Quote  
  2. Baldrick,

Congratulations for your nice guide. I hope more friendly tools to appear in future (at least I would like it for easier authoring of my audio compilations in DVD)

Paco
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Paco M.
    Baldrick,

Congratulations for your nice guide. I hope more friendly tools to appear in future (at least I would like it for easier authoring of my audio compilations in DVD)

Paco
    Congrat erik vullings instead...I just posted it for him. More easier tools will appear in the future...for example an easy gui/frontend with subtitle support for dvdauthor 0.6(freee).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the guide, it is great.

But what about NTSC movies? How to auhtor with IfoEdit?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi <<>>

If you are having colour problems when adding a new set of subtitles to an existing DVD then I have a workaround!

You can move the colours that your SUP file uses by patching the SUP file.

By default it uses colours 0,1,2 and 3 in the IFO file.

If you HEX edit the SUP file and search for 03,32,10,04(hex)

and replace them with say 03,fe,dc,04(hex)

You will make the SUP file use colours 12,13,14 and 15 in the IFO file.

Remember to set these colours up in the IFO file after you have copied the colours from the original movie!

I am working on a tool that will assist with this process.

Regards

Srt2Sup
    Quote Quote  
  6. I´m newbie here, but I think that a found a new solution to subtitle color
    problem. The Srt2sup program always creat a background
    box in subtitle and doens´t match the original subtitle color.
    I´m using DVDSupTools to creat subtitles. With this program you can extract, from original subtitle,
    generated in demux process, all information about the original
    color. And, so, use this information to create your new subtitle
    with same color as original. And without the background problem.
    In this way, you can use the same ifo files that come with original
    movie.

Now a question:
    I´m using this guide to add brazilian subtitle to fellowship movie. It´s NTSC. In hte original movie your lenght is 1:45... minutes. But the lenght of the movie after step 5 in your guide is 1:24.... What is the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi All,

I have created the app I mentioned earlier. You can get is at:

http://www.shipleys.eclipse.co.uk/supremap.htm

I have not tested it with SUP files not created by Srt2Sup.

In addition I now know the problem Srt2Sup has with transparency. The workaround has been published before, but I was not sure of why it worked.

The way to fix transparency is not to have transparent elements (like background) the same as non transparent elements.

The safest thing is to have all elements [background][outline][text] & [antialias] as different colours!

regards

Srt2Sup
    Quote Quote  
  8. hi,

i find your guide of a high quality. however, i miss that seemingly there is no possibility for some personal authoring. i mean stuff like creating my own menus and using them together with the video i've just created (with the new subs).

does anyone happen to know how to do it?

so far, the video (.vob etc.) can be burn with no authoring at all (so i guess you play the dvd into the dvd player and the video is played straightforward), or with the menus from the original dvd (wich are liable not to work as they should). does anyone know how to "edit" those menus from the original dvd so as to make them work properly?

good research! congratulations!

sunmanking
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi,

To do what you are asking requireds a DVD authoring program like Ulead DVD Workshop, Pinnacle Studio (we all have a favorite) etc.

I am sure if you know what to do in detail you could produce and edit menus and stuff with freeware tools like IfoEdit, but it is just far too complicated!

Public information on VOB and IFO file structure is very rare because this is controlled by the MPEG & DVD forums and required you to purchase the information.

Using the process and tools above may not be the simplest way, but is is the cheapest!

Regards

Srt2Sup
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi srt2sup,

Thanks for making our lives easier with the SupRemap tool - I'm very interested in testing it! I have been experimenting with the subtitle color mapping using XVI32 (http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm), a really great and free hex editor, which allows you to do the same.

However, even before testing your remapping tool, could you implement Balrog's suggestion for a new feature: So would it be possible to extend your tool to read an original SUP (while demuxing with VobEdit, you probably have them anyways), get their color and transparency settings, and automatically apply it to the srt2sup SUP file. In that way, there will be no more IfoEdit color editing necessary, and our subtitles will look even more like the originals.

Regards,
    Paddington
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi,

A couple of things:

1) The tool I created does not do a hex search it follows the SUP file structure (this is why it might only work with Srt2Sup files).

2) I have looked in the past at being able to edit the colours in a IFO file. The problem is that this is a very complicated file structure tha has optional components as well as a varying number of components. This makes it virtually impossible to navigate without a file spec.

I might be willing to add features to SupRemap to help with colour selection, but the editing of the IFO file will have to be left to IfoEdit!

Regards

Srt2Sup
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi srt2sup,

Sorry if I didn't express myself clearly. I understand that you do not want to read the IFO file, but I asked whether you could read the SUP file, which also contains a control sequence containing an 0x03 xx xx 04 FF F0 code. So you already know which colors the original SUP uses for the subtitles. The only thing you don't know is what represents the background, foreground, outline and anti-aliasing.

One solution would be to use IfoEdit to manually type in the YCbCr color settings or to ask IfoEdit's maker for a piece of code that grabs the color settings.

Another possibility is to convert the SUP to a bitmap (see SubRip's sources on the web), and determine what code is used for background, etc. Or even without creating a bitmap, you can probably determine by the color values in the RLE code that the background is most dominant, followed by foreground, outline, anti-alias.

What do you think?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hi,

Right so lets get back to the problem statement rather than the solution statement!

Is should be possible to remap the SUP files created by Srt2Sup to use the colours of the original DVD?

So to do that you need to tell SupRemap what colour numbers to use from the IFO pallet and you want an easy way of deciding from looking at the original subtitles what colour is where in the Pallet?

What if I added a method on SubRemap that allows you to enter the 16x3 hex values from the IFO pallet and it converted them to "real" colours in the tool.

You would then know what colour matched what number and use these to remap the SUP file.

Would this solve the problem statement?

Regards

Srt2Sup
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I like it that you repose the original problem statement, which is correct!

Your suggested solution would allow us to select subtitle colors from a set of 16 (IFO-defined) colors. In IfoEdit, we would only have to copy the color palette after the re-authoring process to the new IFO, and that's it. So this would definitely solve our problem!
    (Maybe a nice feature would be if we couldn't choose the same color for transparent/non transparent settings, to avoid the problem you described before!).

Naturally, this would mean that we would have to type in 16 colors, while we will only be using four. Although not a real problem, I am still convinced that it should be possible to use the original SUP file - how hard can it be to find the 03 xx xx 04 xx xx settings in a binary file. And only copy the colors you need.

A good inbetween solution would be that you implement the solution you described, letting the user decide which colors to fill in manually (so (s)he can check the SUP file himself, see what colors he needs, without the need to copy all). Or, for the less advanced user, after typing each color code, you could display the color, so the user can stop when he feels that the colors he needs have been defined!

Regards,
    Paddington

[/b]
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi,

I have added a2.00 of SupRemap to my site.

This version has a very simple IFOedit hex to colour mapper.

Which means that you can copy & paste all 16x3 hex values from the IFO file and SupRemap will convert them into real colours.

I am still thinking about looking at navigating the original VOB/SUP file to find out what pallet values are used.

I can't do a Hex search because there is no guarantee that the 04 record will follow the 03 record and anyway a large binary based file like a VOB/SUP file is bound to have that in the data.

I am going to add a render ability (like in Srt2Sup) this will help me in recreating Srt2Sup and let you match what the subtitles shoule look like on the DVD.

Regards

Srt2Sup
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi srt2sup,

With respect to the IFO color table info: look at the code published by SubRip. They have released their sources to the public, and Unit6.pas contains the code to extract the IFO colors (see code excerpt 1).

With respect to reading the SUP, I did a hex replacement using a hex editor, but I took a longer string, e.g. 03 xx xx 04 yy yy 05, which is more likely to be unique.

Nice to hear that you will be creating a new version of SRT2SUP! I started coding this week too, as I wanted to learn C#. I must say, it is a very nice language, and I just finished the front end, reading the subtitles file, displaying them. Now comes the tricky part of encoding the SUP (also here, SubRip contains some description of the RLE. And Sam Hocevar, from the freeware DVD player, has a description of the control sequences).

BTW How do you create an font with an outline in a different color? Do you write the text twice (first outline, then foreground), or is is a special option?

I will let you know when I have tested your remapping utility.

Cheers,
    Erik

Code excerpt 1 (from Unit6.pas).
    //VTS_PGC_1 DVD Color Palette
    Fic.Seek($CC, soBeginning); // Go to address 0xCC from beginning
    Fic.Read(Buf4By, 4); // read PGC offset in a 4byte buffer
    Fic.Seek(2048 * Get4By + $0C, soBeginning); // Move to beginning of PGC - Get4By gets 4 bytes in buffer, but in reverse order (big-little endian conversion)
    Fic.Read(Buf4By, 4); //PGC_1 begin
    Fic.Seek(Get4By - $10 + $A4, soCurrent);
    for I := 0 to 15 do
    begin
    Fic.Read(Buf4By, 4); //PGC_1 Palette; 0 Y Cr Cb
    Buf4By[1] := Round((Buf4By[1] - 16) * 255 / 219);
    //YUV2BGR taken from VobSub to have the same results (differs to http://www.webartz.com/fourcc/)
    Form1.Process.Palette[I] := { $01 shl 24 +}
    Round(Min(Max(Buf4By[1] + 1.7710 * (Buf4By[3] - 128), 0), 255)) shl 16 + //B
    Round(Min(Max(Buf4By[1] - 0.3456 * (Buf4By[2] - 128) - 0.7145 * (Buf4By[3] - 128), 0), 255)) shl 8 + //G
    Round(Min(Max(Buf4By[1] + 1.4022 * (Buf4By[2] - 128), 0), 255)); //R
    end;
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi srt2sup,

Some feedback on your remapping tool:
    - It still contains a bug (not all subtitle packages are converted - you skip some)
    - Instead of an "apply to all" button, you could include it in the save (the first time, I forgot to use it, and save the original).

For the rest, it's OK.

Quote Quote  
  18. hmm i dont know if im just dumb or just that i dont understand the subtitle part of this guide. I have download a subtitle in srt format and wene i convert it to SUP the sync dosnt work, like it did whene the subtitle was in srt format. What do i wrong? I follow this guide as it is writen.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Synchronizing can be hard: if the original SRT files were correct (you can check it by listening to the movie, or by ripping (SubRip) the original subtitles and comparing them), you might have the wrong settings in srt2sup (e.g. NTSC instead of PAL in the settings menu). Please check...
    Quote Quote  
  20. it was like i said im dumb

I did fix it. But now i have another problem instead.

The first subtitle is green and the other 2 on the movie is as they should be. Im using this settings.

Color 1: 10 80 80
    Color 2: 10 80 80
    Color 3: 10 80 80
    Color 4: EB 80 80

Im using IFOEdit to write this in manually. What do i wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And did you also save the IFO (just asking?)

Otherwise, try to use different colors (as you can read above, srt2sup suggests that there might be a problem when you use the same colors for transparent and non-transparent text.
    Quote Quote  
  22. *#"#"&#¤"& <--- alot of bad words

I cant get the subtitle color right on the one that i created. What can be the problem. Its like this.

I have created the swedish sub myself and i still want to keep the english original. The one i have in swedish is in srt so i startup SRT2SUP and convert the srt to sup. Using this colors:
    Background: Black (trans)
    Outline: Black (trans)
    Text: White
    AntiAlias: Silver
    NTSC: Marked

What do i wrong. I did open my SUP file w/ SupRemap and did check the nr and they didnt match with the original SUP so i did change them and negative it didnt work. I really dont no what i do wrong. Now i trying it again and this time im planing to change the original SUP nr to the swedish one.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hi Paddington,

Does the subtitle count match the number of subtitles you expect?

I pre-parse the file using the subtitle offsets and count the subtitles while I do this!

The reason for the Apply button is that I intended to allow you to apply to all or just a selection (for a future date!)

Also is it a2.00 you are using and does the colour mapping work?

Regards

Srt2Sup
    Quote Quote  
  24. Hi Again,

I have updated SupRemap again to a3.00!

You can now open an IFO file and see the colour pallet it uses!

(Thanks for the Paddington code snippet)

www.shipleys.eclipse.co.uk

I have not found the problem with is skipping subtitles and mor information would help!

Regards

Srt2Sup
    Quote Quote  
  25. weeeeeee (almost)

Hello

I now know what i did wrong before. I did replace the *.ifo and *.bup files that i created in step 5. Why did i do that?
    Because wene i did replace the org ifo and bup w/ the one i did created in step 5 the movie only played the first vob (that was a Warning screen) after that PowerDVD stopped play, and wene i did replace my .ifo and .bup with the org .ifo and .bup the movie works perfekt. It plays the movie, it shows the menu and stuff, but then the addad subtitle color is wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi USiT,

To have the correct colors, use the supremap tool from srt2sup (see above) and translate your sup colors to the ones used in the original IFO.

Cheers,
    Paddington
    Quote Quote  
  27. hello,

i'm still having probs with supremap skipping lines.
    When i remux with ifoedit almost half of the subtitles don't appear.
    When i import the sup file processed by supremap back in srt2sup i see after every other line or so, this message:

07/02/2004 22:03:12 Record - 1067
    07/02/2004 22:03:12 FoundHeader - [SP]
    07/02/2004 22:03:12 PTS = 528399000
    07/02/2004 22:03:12 Parse Cmd = 1
    07/02/2004 22:03:12 ERROR - Illegal Control Command !!!
    07/02/2004 22:03:12 Deleted !!!

And when it's finished importing, the total of the lines don't match up with the original srt.

Anyone having the same problem?
    Quote Quote  
  28. I have the same problem.. i manage to import SUP files processed by Subremap but when i watch the movie .. some subtitles does not appear .. or appear in strange colour and damages the other lines in subtitle.

Well done Srt2Sup for the great work .. but if u can fix that problem too .. we're all be VERY VERY HAPPY !

P.S.: i 'll wait for future version .
    Quote Quote  
  29. Hi,

I have rewritten SupRemap and it now allows the editing of colours in an IFO file and parsing VOB files to see what colours are used by subtitles.

This new version is a4.04 and should not suffer from the skipping problem.

www.shipleys.eclipse.co.uk

Please email me directly if you find a bug, then I can get it fixed as soon as possible!

P.S. Can't fix bugs in Srt2Sup until I recreate the application!

Regards

Srt2Sup
    Quote Quote  
  30. Document not found
    The requested document was not found on this server. This could be for a variety of reasons, including:
    You followed a broken or out-of-date link.
    You entered the URL incorrectly.
    The file no longer exists.
    The website is not workin'
    Quote Quote