VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I hope some of you guys can help me with this.
    I did record some events with my cam, everything was saved as a AVCHD-structure.
    I copied the mts-files and removed the rest from the SD-card (this maybe was stupid?).

However, now I have a problem... when I play these files on my TV I get black bars on the right and left side, the resolution is not 1920x1080 but 1440x1080. I remember playing this from my cam without any problems so why the aspect problem now when I play the files from my USB on the TV?

Can I fix this somehow? My TV does not have the option to change the ratio when playing from USB
    Playing it from VLC (PC) works fine when I change the ratio.

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    What's the camera?
    Is it one of those old 'fake' HD cameras that claim to do 1080i but only use a 1440x1080 instead of 1920x1080?

If so you only need to change the PAR.

Quote Quote  
  3. Your solution is to either use a player that allows you to adjust the aspect ratio manually -- like VLC, or to author your files to a blu-ray disc (which may or may not need to re-encode,) or to re-encode your files to 1920x1080.

Part of what you discarded with the AVCHD structure was the metadata that informs the player this is anamorphic material.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    What's the camera?
    Is it one of those old 'fake' HD cameras that claim to do 1080i but only use a 1440x1080 instead of 1920x1080?

If so you only need to change the PAR.

Well, it can record on 1920x1080, this is something I'm doing now but the previous event were set to a "lower" setting thats the reason for 1440x1080.

Not sure how to change the "PAR"? What is that?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Your solution is to either use a player that allows you to adjust the aspect ratio manually -- like VLC, or to author your files to a blu-ray disc (which may or may not need to re-encode,) or to re-encode your files to 1920x1080.

Part of what you discarded with the AVCHD structure was the metadata that informs the player this is anamorphic material.
    As I wrote in my first post, it works really nice in VLC and when I did play the event from the CAM but I can't change the player the TV is using, its a simple "play/paus" player from LG.

Hmm, the tv won't be able to read blue-disc format from the USB I guess but I can give it a try to make a blue-ray disc with tsMuxer. This will maybe set the resolution to 1920x1080 you say?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. 1440x1080 is legal for Blu Ray, so a BR player is required to understand it and display it properly. If you're playing the file from a USB to a TV you're limited to whatever the TV's player understands. In some cases the zoom or similar control on the remote may be able to force the issue manually.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Hmm, I see and there is no way to strech the video to 1920x1080? Like a tool or anything similar that would make the video to 1920x1080
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ValDaHus View Post
    Hmm, I see and there is no way to strech the video to 1920x1080? Like a tool or anything similar that would make the video to 1920x1080
    Change signaled aspect ratio...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Pandy,

Thanks again for the reply.
    I tried to do that with the tsMuxer tool, selected 16:9 as ratio but it didn't help. Do you know any other tools that can do this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    is it currently at the proper aspect ratio? i.e. do people look right or are they squished tall and skinny? because if you convert one that is already right to a wider 1920 then everything is going to be stretched horizontally and look short and fat.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  11. It can be 1440x1080 anamorphic 16:9 (format used by older HD cameras) - then display aspect should be 16:9,
    it can be 1440x1080 4:3 and with DAR 4:3 and most 16:9 decoders will create pillar box type display (this usually is configurable by customer) - officially this mode is considered as recommended (HD intentionally is 16:9).
    If this is second case you can set on TV to stretch video (so video fill whole screen at a cost distorted aspect), also video can be stretched in horizontal and vertical direction - this will keep video with correct aspect at a cost of loosing some part on top/bottom of video.
    If this is H.264 video then i assume you should set SAR 4:3 DAR 16:9 - if from some reason tsmuxer not work for you try this: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=152419
    Quote Quote