VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, to everybody.
    Can we copy any files with Nero8 ( option EXPRESS )?
    I explained my doubts:

I used CONVERTXTODVD to obtain a movie in DVD ( AUDIO_TS+VIDEO_TS) and I saved it directly to a DVD. It ran very well at the DVD Player.
    I used those two files and, with NERO8- option Express, I got another DVD that didn't function. Is it a coincidence or I mustn't use Nero8 with some types of files?

Thanks a lot for your help

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You won't find many Nero fans on this site. Check out ImgBurn for far, far more reliable DVD burns. It is a favorite among a vast number of us, and it is free.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nero is a lot better, then people normally believe.
    Only because they donīt know, where to click to get the "custom" tab, doesnīt mean that Nero couldnīt do things or that Nero is buggy...
    But as Nero is loaded with a lot of trash: people simply say it is trash. Get rid off this trash, and Nero is okay. Un-reg a few files, delete them and Nero has all you need. Even an excellent Mainconcept based MPEG2 codec - but you have to figure out where (registry and hidden tabs) and how you configure it.
    If youīre not familiar with editing the registry or un-regging files: search the web for Nero Micro / Lite.

Copying a Video DVD: itīs easier with ImgBurn - right. So this would be the first choice.
    If you want to use Nero: use Nero Burning Rom. Copy Disc.
    Nero makes a (temporal) image of your DVD and burns this as Video DVD later. Iīm almost certain, you burned a Data DVD.
    Donīt use Nero Express - the exe doesnīt give you access to all functions.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Filmboss80 and Mohnitor for your answers.
    They will be valuable.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mohnitor
    Nero is a lot better, then people normally believe.
    Only because they donīt know, where to click to get the "custom" tab, doesnīt mean that Nero couldnīt do things or that Nero is buggy...
    I disagree. I think Nero is a lot WORSE than most people realize. But at least it's not Roxio or whatever they call that now.

Why do I think Nero is bad? Here are a few reasons:
    http://www.digital-digest.com/~blutach/pgcedit_guide/burning_with_pgcedit/burning_with...pgcedit_v2.htm
    If you scroll to the bottom, you'll see an explanation of how Nero packs data together and ignores the pointers if they tell it not to do this. This can, in theory, needlessly cause a single point of failure on the disc in the future by putting an IFO and BUP in the same sector.

Nero's "compliance check" for VCD and SVCD is a joke. I can easily create a file that will pass the compliance check and be in complete violation of both standards. I can also create a file that adheres to the standards that Nero will say is not in compliance.

"Time Jumping" (the ability to jump to a specific time code) on SVCD is seriously broken for almost all standalone DVD players that support the format because rather than the fix an issue Nero-created SVCDs had with fast forwarding and rewinding, they simply applied a VCD hack (SVCD does not use this method, by the way) to make it work at the expense of being able to time jump. As far as I know, Nero still has never properly fixed the issue 6 years later.

Nero has been accused of being unable to properly burn DVD-R DL discs. I don't know if they ever fixed that problem or not and at about $3 US per disc, I'm unwilling to buy any just to test it. It has had issues with burning DVD+R DL discs too, but those don't seem to be as bad as they once were.

Use Nero if you want. I don't care. But there are good reasons why many of us don't like it.
    Quote Quote