VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I usually keep my PC on, but always turn off my monitor at night or when I go to work. Lately, I'll try to turn the monitor back on to no avail. I have to unplug the monitor from the power outlet for a minute, then turn it back on for it to work. I thought it might be due to Windows power schemes (turn monitor off after 20 minutes) or ACPI, but it isn't that. Also connected the monitor to another PC to rule out something with the video card.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try this:
    1.Update the videocard drivers.
    2.Lower the refreshrate and resolution.
    3.Try DVI and VGA to see if one is better than the other.
    4.If nothing helps and the problem keeps getting worse then it's time for repair or replacement.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The power brick ( which contains a switching regulator ) is broken, replaced it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    how old is the monitor and make/model/type of connection?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No power brick on this one (or it's internal)

Gateway FPD2275W 22-inch Widescreen HD-LCD Flat-Panel Display. DVI connection.

2.5 years old
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also leave my system on 24x7. I leave my monitor on and have windows power it down after 1 hour (Samsung 226BW 22" LCD). When powered down the monitor's power light blinks. All I do is move the mouse and it powers right up. Try this and see if there is any difference over using the power button...could be a power button or a bad cap that needs to charge up to power it on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    when you hit the power button to turn it back on does the light start blinking, turn on or stay off?
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As long as I keep the monitor on, it works perfectly. Turning it off messes things up. The behavior changes every time, and usually requires a power cable pull from the back of the monitor.

Video Head, I tried your suggestion to set windows to turn off the monitor after an hour, but it refuses to wake back up without having to pull the power again.

when you hit the power button to turn it back on does the light start blinking, turn on or stay off? - It varies each time. It'll come back on if I turn it off and turn it back on a few seconds later, but more than a few minutes and I need to pull the power.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm afraid I'm probably screwed. These things rarely get better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'd leave it on 'til it dies.... let windows turn it off after however long you want, just don't use the power button. as long as it will "wake up" when you move the mouse or hit a key. at least you won't be yanking on the cord everyday.... i have a sony crt that acts like that and it's been powered on for at least a year now. the power consumption in standby mode is pretty small.
    --
    Quote Quote