VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ripped a DVD that seems to be slightly damaged. However, when I play the rip off my harddrive it plays without problems. When I Toast the rip, the DVD does not play (it stops at a certain point and won't go further). Is there any way to fix this and burn so that it works?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Explain your steps in Toast.

Could be burn speed, media, compression, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In Toast, I use the video part, add the DVD rip and then burn. I don't have any special steps, I just use it in the normal way. I do not adjust burn speed. I have used the same settings with other rips that had no damages and it has worked without any problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Others on this forum are way more knowledgeable than I am, but having dealt with a variety of bad DVD-R/+R discs, I have learned a few tricks to fix some problems.

First, I rip with MTR using the Full Extraction setting. If MTR has problems with the rip, I go with Main Feature. If MTR won't read the DVD and it is not copy-protected, which is always the case with the DVDs I deal with, I drag and drop.

Second, when you've got your VIDEO_TS folder, use MyDVDEdit to see if there are any bad sectors. If you dragged and dropped, you will need to use command-I and change the settings from read to read and write for everything in the VIDEO_TS folder. If you extracted with MTR, you won't need to mess with this. If there were bad sectors, and you fixed them, then the DVD should play with Apple's DVD player. I usually test with the Apple player rather than VLC because Apple's player is more finicky and I have rarely had a DVD that will play on the Apple player but will *not* play on my set-top player.

Third, if Apple's player will not play the DVD, I drag the individual VOB files from the VIDEO_TS folder into Toast under the Video setting and create a disk image. I mount the disk image, which will hopefully play with Apple's player. Because I prefer to cover all my bases, I will usually use MTR to re-extract from the disk image, run MyDVDEdit to check for bad sectors, and then drag the folder into Toast data (DVD ROM/UDF) setting. (Note: every now and then I have run into a situation where the VOBs share similar information but are slightly longer/shorter and thus dragging into Toast won't work. I have used MpegStreamclip to fix this problem per the helpful suggestions on this forum. Since this is a rare problem, I won't go into detail about that here.)

Hopefully all of that makes sense. I have used this process to fix a few DVDs that would not play on my set top player but (A) would play on the computer or (B) would not play on the computer as well. In some instances the dvd was messed up in some way and I could not do anything to fix the problem (bad dvd or bad burn or damaged disk). You might also try wiping the DVD again just to make sure there isn't something sticky on the bottom of the disk.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by danielmak
    Second, when you've got your VIDEO_TS folder, use MyDVDEdit to see if there are any bad sectors.
    (a little out of topic)
    there is a new version (today) of MyDVDEdit version 1.1, compatible with Snow Leopard
    http://www.mydvdedit.com/index.php?pg=downloads

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by danielmak
    Hopefully all of that makes sense. I have used this process to fix a few DVDs that would not play on my set top player but (A) would play on the computer or (B) would not play on the computer as well. In some instances the dvd was messed up in some way and I could not do anything to fix the problem (bad dvd or bad burn or damaged disk). You might also try wiping the DVD again just to make sure there isn't something sticky on the bottom of the disk.
    Thanks for your helpful reply. I'm afraid the problem is a little more complicated. I am able to rip the DVD with a warning that there may be bad sectors, but the DVD usually plays from my hard drive using Apple's DVD Player. Using MyDVDEdit, it found some errors and fixed them.

The problem comes when I burn the DVD from the hard drive using Toast. The film does play from the DVD, however, some of the navigation does not work. For example, if I try to advance in a scene, either DVD Player crashes of it goes back to the beginning of the disk. However, if I just play the disk from the beginning without interfering with playback, it seems to be OK. Strangely, navigation on the film when I play the ripped version on the hard drive does not have these problems.

That's what I find so strange about this.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    @Yes, me - You need to explain exactly what this DVD is. Is it a DVD you made yourself? Something like a DVD of home movies. Or is it a commercial DVD you bought somewhere? Your post sounds suspiciously like the DVD may contain copy protection measures such as ARCCOS to prevent ripping and copying. ARCCOS is used on commercial DVDs. Many rippers cannot correctly handle it. ARCCOS is mostly used in region 1, but I have seen reports of it being used in other regions such as region 2 (Europe). I don't use Macs for any video work so I don't know if any Mac rippers keep up with ARCCOS (it gets changed constantly), but I know of some Windows programs that do keep up with ARCCOS changes.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The DVD is a commercial set of five disks. Three of the disks had no problem, two of them did. That means I was able to rip all five disks and the Apple DVD player was able to play all of them without problems. It was only after I burned two of the disks that I discovered that navigation was at least partly broken on these two disks.

I used exactly the same ripping program and burning programs on all disks. The two disks that had problems did seem to have some visible damage (I bought the set second-hand).

My main question, however, is why is there a difference between playing back from the hard-drive and playing back exactly the same files from a DVD?
    Quote Quote