VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all!

Well I used VirtualDub to convert a DVD rip to an uncompressed AVI (Lagarith Codec). I need to convert that same AVI to MOV for my MAC to use for Editing. I tried using MPEGStreamClip to load the AVI to convert it to MOV and it only shows a white video but you can hear the sound. I tried re-exporting out of VirtualDub the same project into an uncompressed AVI (uncompressed codec) and it did the same thing. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm. Mpegstreamclip can open dvd vobs directly. Have you tried that?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes I have tried that and that works... but I need to run it through VirtualDub to do some cropping, deinterlacing, IVTC'n, etc... then into an MOV for editing. It isn't loading ANY AVI's correctly... I can play it and only hear the audio... video is all white.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Anyone have any input on this?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Should I post this question in a different area? No one here is replying to this issue.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe try the hufffyuv codec or a mjpeg codec.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sorry for posting this in another area... just no one is responding in this area and I thought it would get the right responses in another area and I really need advice in this.
    I can't find mjpeg codec in AVI.

I tried Huffyuv, installed it, and it doesn't show up on VirtualDub's list of codecs as a choice...
    I also tried other codecs, MSU, ffdshow Video Codec, Cinepak, xvid... same results... white screen... just sound.

tried this on 3 PC computers... same thing... all are windows 7 64bit
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm testing mpeg streamclip 1.2.1b5 now and yep, most video codecs just shows a white screen. Also windows 7 64bit here.

BUT I tried export to dv-avi ( cedocida dv codec) and it works fine to import in mpeg streamclip. But remember that you must use 720x480x29.97fps or 720x576x25fps then though.
    Quote Quote  
  9. ffmpeg can decode lagarith now, so you could use that to encode to a MOV wrapped video. Perhaps animation codec if you want lossless RGB (it will be RGB if you've applied filters in vdub)

e.g

ffmpeg -i input.avi -vcodec qtrle -acodec copy output.mov
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks for the responses. The resolutions I mainly use for editing is 640x360 or 640x480 in most all frame rates (23.97, 24, 25, 29.97). It various per source file I am prepping for editing. I actually don't need RGB so much. The video footage I am converting is mainly YUV color space. And space is part of the issue. I looked into ultimately using either PNG or SheerVideo codec. Either way, MPEG Streamclip isn't working with any of the usable AVI codecs that I use to output of VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You can use PNG in MOV with ffmpeg, just change the command line to -vcodec png (here "input.avi" is the export from vdub)

ffmpeg -i input.avi -vcodec png -acode copy -output.mov

You can install drastic codecs, and if you export AVI wrapped v210 (uncompressed Y'CbCr 4:2:2) from vdub, you can open it up in mpegstreamclip. It has both AVI and MOV components.
    http://www.drastictech.com/download_codec.html

If you do your editing and manipulations (cropping , deinterlace, IVTC) in avisynth you don't have to incur the Y'CbCr => RGB colorspace conversion and subsequent quality loss. FFMPEG can accept avs scripts as well, so you can simplify the workflow going directly to MOV
    Quote Quote  
  12. I tried the drastic codec.... same results in MPEG Streamclip. Using ffmpeg sounds complicated... I am not good at command line apps. I will look into it though.
    Quote Quote  
  13. weird, it works for me in mpegstreamclip. I have quicktime (pro) installed as well, maybe that's the difference ? It's the only "AVI" format on Windows that can be opened by quicktime or mpegstreamclip. Make sure it's "v210" not "012v" or some other variant

you can try a GUI for ffmpeg, something like ffcoder, xmediarecode
    Quote Quote  
  14. yup... nothing works.. tried your suggestions too... I give up.
    Quote Quote  
  15. even ffmpeg failed for you? people use it all the time to transfer files for mac

make sure you have a current ffmpeg build. Use a static build for the binary. It runs independent of system installed filters so it should work on any system

http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    MPEGStreamclip is based on the Quicktime API - even when opening AVIs, so if QT can't open it, neither can MPEGStreamclip (not counting special inputs like DVD). Your best bet, if you don't have QT Pro, is to export out of Virtualdub as uncompressed, or DV (using Cedocida codec). I just tested doing an export of each of these from Virtualdub importing to MPEGStreamClip, and BOTH work OK (Video+LPCM Audio).
    If you don't want to use Uncompressed or DV, you must have a decoder codec that works with both the Directshow/VFW api and Quicktime api.
    Otherwise, don't use QTPro/MPEGStreamclip. Use instead a full-blown NLE (like Vegas, Premiere).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. I did test using a dozen or so AVI codecs... I did test uncompressed as well... NONE imported successfully imported the file into MPEG Streamclip. AND this is for prepping files for editing in NLE's like Premiere or Final Cut Pro. I can use the AVI's fine on the PC side for Premiere Pro... but I sometimes need to edit on a Mac using Final Cut so ... I have to convert to MOV.

I tried the Cedocida codec... it gave me an error when trying to export a simple DVD rip to VirtualDub...

Name:  error.PNG
Views: 6580
Size:  6.7 KB
    Quote Quote  
  18. BUMP...

I still have yet to resolve this issue.

I have tried so many ways to use the workflow I described.

Source video (VOB) to VirtualDub (for cropping, IVTC, Etc) to Lossless AVI codec to lossless MOV format!

I figured using MPEG StreamClip would be the easiest way to convert and AVI to MOV with no issues...

I am also trying Sorenson Squeeze as well to see if that will help with this process.

But it still baffles me that MPEG StreamClip will open AVI's ... only to have no video... just a white screen.
    I have tried this on 4 different computers including a Mac, Windows 7 both 32bit and 64bit.

I don't get it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Solved!!!

I decided to give "XMedia Recode" a try. AND IT WORKED FINE!!!

This was suggested before on this thread but I think I may have had an issue with it then.

Thanks for the all the support on this forum!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Deleted. Spoke to soon.
    Quote Quote