VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys, I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I've been capturing composite analogue video (mono sound) into my PVR-150 Hauppauge capture card (internal) and I've run into a few troubles.

The audio that is captured with the .mpg (MPEG-2, I assume) files can't be read by Premiere, Nero, Goldwave, VirtualDub, or any other program I've tried. The *video* can be seen, but the *audio* of the video either doesn't exist or gives an error.

But here's the thing... I *can* hear the audio when playing the file in Media Player Classic, or in the WinTV2K application that comes with the card and with which I was capturing.

Below is a great deal of information which will hopefully help someone to help me. I know how annoying it is to have someone ask a question and not provide details, so here it all is!

http://www.rendreality.com/audio/audio_example.mpg <- This is a 4-second .mpg file that is an example of footage captured on this card. It's under 10mb and exhibits the audio trouble I'm having. It will play fine w/ audio in MPC, but not in any of my converter/burner software.

http://www.rendreality.com/audio/dxdiag.txt <- This is my dxdiag.txt

http://www.rendreality.com/audio/codec_list.rtf <- A full list of installed codecs on my machine as provided by the application "Codec Sniper" in RTF format.

A screenshot of how Goldwave handles the file. All black, nothing to select, I've never seen this behaviour before.

Nero shows no audio track at all for this file, so burning it to a DVD would simply result in video-only.

Premiere shows an audio track, but no audio on it. In other instances I've gotten the "Unsupported Audio Rate" error. Note that this is Premiere Express 1.0. It's old, but *should* have no trouble with a mpeg-2 file.

VDub (Mpeg-2 version) can't seem to play, convert, or anything else this file unless I disable audio in the [Audio] menu.

Please give me a hand if you can! I'd really appreciate any advice anyone could give. I'm assuming for the time being it's just a matter of codec incompatibilities as I've installed/uninstalled many codecs in the last few days trying to find the ideal one for my converting. Normally I'd just wipe XP and start again, but I don't know if I can make the capture card work again. It's very twitchy and took hours to set up properly before I could start capturing.
    "God's in His heaven, all's right with the world."
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's probably not a decoder/codec issue.

Have you tried repair the mpg with for example Videoredo, using the quickstream fix?

And as a last solution you can always record what you hear to a wav with something like total recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While it dose not appear in nero vision express , you will get audio as expected ... I did from the sample you supplied .

As for the card :

0-- = agp addon / onboard
    1-- = pci1 (dont have anything installed here) (shares resources with agp slot / onboard video)
    2-- = pci2
    3-- = pci3

You should only have one pci device installed for this group only - shared resources

4-- = pci4
    5-- = pci5

For those with full sized motherboards , these share resources - only one slot should have a device installed .

Installing devices in any other way may result in resource conflicts , or even risk improper operation of device .
    Quote Quote  
  4. I couldn't hear audio with WMP or Nero Showtime but it was OK with Premiere Elements and Vegas. The audio is MPEG-1 layer 2 (MP2).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Wow, you guys are good. Those are good and helpful suggestions. During the course of trying them out, I stumbled across an old favourite, 'Sound Forge'. I downloaded the trial and it's reading the audio fine! I should be able to export directly from there. Thanks so much guys!

Baldrick: I tried the 'quickstream fix', but it did not seem to alter the file in any way. VideoRedo could read the audio though, but I don't think I can export just audio from it (and any .mpg I export from it exhibits the same issues).

Bjs: You say that you burned a DVD (or .iso/.nrg) and got normal audio? In regards to the PCI slot issues, I have every PCI slot filled as I have several cards I use (audio/nic/capture/video) including PCI-E. I haven't experienced problems with any of them in particular, aside from this issue, though.

Delerious: I'll try in Vegas, thanks for the heads-up!
    "God's in His heaven, all's right with the world."
    Quote Quote