VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think you can be be sure that you will receive an exact model HVR-1250 just based on the listing. I know some US retailers continued to sell the newer models on their HVR-1250 product page. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/76-htpc-linux-chat/1636729-hvr-1250-hvr-1265-2014-a.html

I did find out something interesting about the WinTV HVR 5525. It is possible that the drivers it has would limit it to PAL for analog capture, but the hardware itself can do more. The WinTV HVR 5525 uses a Conexant CX23888 chip, according to https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-5525 The Conexant CX23888 chip can process PAL and NTSC. ...and includes a 3d comb filter. http://205.175.208.33/servlets/DownloadServlet/PBR-200974-004.pdf?docid=975&revid=4

[Edit] Unlike the HVR-1250, the HVR 5525 will react to Macrovision. The CX23888 chip is Macrovision compliant.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Feb 2017 at 14:58. Reason: clarity
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by tried View Post
    The USB capture dongles that currently receive the most recommendations here (Hauppauge USB Live 2 and I-O DATA GV-USB2)
    I'm looking for a similar product so are these USB dongles a good alternative to the internal cards?
    Also I've looked feedback on Amazon and these two dongles don't appear on the top of the results.
    Could you please give more information?
    If you want answers from me, start your own thread. I have decided not to enable thread hijacking.
    Excuse me dude that was rude, was that a bad moment of your day life?
    I replayed to one of your comments and asked further information regarding what you asserted and by the way you reacted is seems that your assertion is not reliable!
    BTW, I have my own thread already but that doesn't restrict the use of the forums to my only thread.
    I don't need your expertise anymore, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The USB capture dongles that currently receive the most recommendations here (Hauppauge USB Live 2 and I-O DATA GV-USB2)
    I'm looking for a similar product so are these USB dongles a good alternative to the internal cards?
    Also I've looked feedback on Amazon and these two dongles don't appear on the top of the results.
    Could you please give more information?
    If you want answers from me, start your own thread. I have decided not to enable thread hijacking.
    Excuse me dude that was rude, was that a bad moment of your day life?
    I replayed to one of your comments and asked further information regarding what you asserted and by the way you reacted is seems that your assertion is not reliable!
    BTW, I have my own thread already but that doesn't restrict the use of the forums to my only thread.
    I don't need your expertise anymore, thanks!
    If you have your own thread about a problem requiring information on video capture card, you should have asked there, dude. Forum rules don't allow creating multiple inquiries regarding the same problem, especially in someone else's thread, dude. You are the one out of line here, dude.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I only asked more information regarding what you're saying here in this thread so you wasted 3 chances to do it but trolling and being rude.
    Despite your nick name you seem so much unfriendly so no point in wasting my time further.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I only asked more information regarding what you're saying here in this thread so you wasted 3 chances to do it but trolling and being rude.
    Despite your nick name you seem so much unfriendly so no point in wasting my time further.
    Even though you told me my expertise was no longer needed and that my assertion is not reliable, I'm supposed to waste my time by helping you anyway. Have a nice life.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Even though you told me my expertise was no longer needed and that my assertion is not reliable, I'm supposed to waste my time by helping you anyway. Have a nice life.
    I told you already that I don't need your help also you made very clear your point and have not given any help at all but only being rude, bully, trolling and now even stupid.
    You must be 10 and uneducated.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Any thoughts on Kona like LHI or LHE ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kmroc View Post
    Any thoughts on Kona like LHI or LHE ?
    A new Kona LHI is something like $1500 and a new Kona LHE is around $1000. Very few people here would spend that kind of money on a capture device for VHS and other analog tapes. Unless you can find a very sweet deal on a used one, I'd recommend looking at the $299 Magewell Pro Capture HDMI first.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oh, never mind.
    Last edited by vhelp; 27th Feb 2017 at 22:54.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Adding to my comments above regarding the two AJA Kono cards, the break-out cables for them are proprietary. If you are buying a used card, make sure that it comes with the correct break-out cable, or that you can find one sold separately at a reasonable price. You will probably also need some BNC to RCA adapters to hook up a camera. (The adapters are not expensive, but you need to get the correct gender on each end.)

Check the hardware, capture software and OS requirements to make sure you can meet them.

Reading some of the user comments, these seem like they might be fussy, somewhat outdated cards best left to professionals.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Feb 2017 at 16:27.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Newbie here.
    I want to capture vhs tapes to pc then make dvds. I want the best quality possible, I have read many threads forums people come up loads of ways.
    Questions: What is the best capture card available in 2020? I know i'm 18 yrs behind
    Is it worth using pro software like PP Avid Vegas?
    I cant get quality I have all the cheap capture cards. please help!
    Thanks guys
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I want to capture vhs tapes to pc then make dvds. This is not the best way to preserve analog video.

Questions: What is the best capture card available in 2020? I know i'm 18 yrs behind : None, No good capture cards made in the last 15 years or so.

Is it worth using pro software like PP Avid Vegas? No.

I cant get quality I have all the cheap capture cards. please help! Yes those are 2020 capture devices you were asking for.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videovhsdvdhelp1 View Post
    Newbie here.
    I want to capture vhs tapes to pc then make dvds. I want the best quality possible, I have read many threads forums people come up loads of ways.
    Questions: What is the best capture card available in 2020? I know i'm 18 yrs behind
    Is it worth using pro software like PP Avid Vegas?
    Thanks guys
    What is your budget for this project?

If you really have read many forum posts on the subject of VHS capture, you should already know that even the best capture device available will not provide a high-quality result if fed a poor quality signal. To get a signal that justifies the expense of a professional analog capture device, you will need a quality VCR to play the tape, something to act as a line TBC to correct a "wavy" picture, and a full-frame TBC to stabilize the signal and remove real Macrovision from commercial video tapes or noise that is falsely identified as Macrovisionon home recordings. Do you want to go to that much trouble and expense?

Have you also consulted the digitalfaq.com forum for their ideas on VHS capture? If not, maybe you should.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Budget wise I must have spent 2k already including PC. I know I use Panasonic nv-sv131 and I use panasonic es15 dvd recorder as pass through connected via gold S video cable.
    Full frame TBC are hard to find and out of my budget. The best capture card I have is matrox mx02 mini capturing uncompressed using the matrox av software. The quality seems ok, it all goes down hill when I import to my low budget movie studio software because the videos need editing and colour correction then I encode the file mpeg2 for DVD using the given main concept encoder, on the older software the quality was good. I have windows 10 the older capture cards don't work nor do the softwares.
    What is the best option for me?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    This is not the best way to preserve analog video.
    I use PC and matrox mx02 mini connected to my Panasonic NV-SV121VCR with Panasonic ES15 DVD recorder as pass through

[QUOTE=dellsam34;2591563]None, no
    good capture cards made in the last 15 years or so.[\QUOTE]

I have matrox mx02 mini from 2009 and Avermedia PCIE card. The Avermedia one plays back with jitters so I don't use that one. I also have the Canopus ADVC 110 quality is not very good at all, final footage looks worse than VHS

Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Is it worth using pro software like PP Avid Vegas? No.
    What is my best option?

Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Yes those are 2020 capture devices you were asking for.
    Mine are from 2006 and 2009 my first one was easycap USB what utter
    Quote Quote  
  16. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Keep capturing with Matrox in lossless, From there you can encode to H.264 much more efficient than MPEG-2 and for the same size the quality of H.264 is far superior than MPEG-2, I don't know why you want to burn to DVD, the format is obsolete.

Learn FFMPEG for encoding and QTGMC for de-interlacing.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Keep capturing with Matrox in lossless, From there you can encode to H.264 much more efficient than MPEG-2 and for the same size the quality of H.264 is far superior than MPEG-2, I don't know why you want to burn to DVD, the format is obsolete.

Learn FFMPEG for encoding and QTGMC for de-interlacing.
    FFMPG has so many download links which do I download? Is it secure?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    There are few threads about video encoding, also it is best to open up a new thread in the right section.
    Quote Quote