VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My apologies if I'm posting on the wrong forum or inappropriate area.

I'm interested in finding a reliable Android video downloader which allows downloads of YouTube videos.

If this is an incorrect forum, could you please share a better forum where independent, objective evaluations of Android video downloaders is discussed?

Thank you so much.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm moving you to our video streaming section. The capturing section is mainly for analog video.

Nope. I haven't used any android youtube downloader.... I prefer youtube-dl for Windows. Maybe you can find some Android build for it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for moving my post to a better forum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good luck. I've heard Google doesn't allow anything specifically intended for downloading YouTube videos on the Play store, so you'll probably end up having to find and install the downloaders' APKs manually.

I've been using keepvid.com in the Android version of Firefox to download YouTube videos, so I probably won't be of much help.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi Ai Haibara,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.

Pls. forgive my ignorance but can the Android version of Firefox be downloaded to an Android tablet?

If so, could I then download and install software from keepvid.com to download YouTube videos.

Thank you again for your kind help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi ezcapper,

Thank you for sharing that.

Is there any site or blog which shares independent, objective reviews of Android apps?

Every-time I visit CNET I hear Chris Berman shouting "C'mon, man!"

Thanks so much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by eager to learn View Post
    Hi Ai Haibara,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.

Pls. forgive my ignorance but can the Android version of Firefox be downloaded to an Android tablet?

If so, could I then download and install software from keepvid.com to download YouTube videos.

Thank you again for your kind help.
    Yes, you can install the Android version of Firefox to a tablet (I have it installed on our old Nexus 7). You don't need to install anything from keepvid.com in order to use the site to download YouTube videos, however. In fact, you should theoretically be able to use keepvid.com through most, if not all, Android browsers.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi Ai Haibara,

Thank you very much for clarifying that I should be able to download YouTube videos using just the Android version of FireFox on my tablet.

Did you then download the FF add-on by Paul Saint for FF? - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/addon/media-downloader/?src=cb-dl-mostpopular

Or have you found another (better/just as good) video downloader add-on for FF that you use?

Thank you again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. I've had no problems using keepvid, so I haven't seen the need to download or use anything else.
    Quote Quote  
  10. not sure why this is an issue but on my samsumg s4 (lollipop?), using the generic browser called "internet", i just play the video, set to full screen, press long and a "save video" prompt appears (no additional app downloads).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi Ai Haibara,

Pls. forgive my confusion but is keepvid an application built into FF-Android?

Or must you download it and install?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi tugshank,

In my best "Seen on TV" voice - could it be that easy?!

I'll give that a while as well.

Thank you so very much for sharing that.

Best.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    keepvid.com

a website
    i believe you have to copy the youtube URL and past it into the box at keepvid.com
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi thewizard,

So, it doesnt matter which browser you use (FF, IE, Chrome) becauce any will allow you to copy and paste the YouTube url into the keepvid website and then that website allwos for downlaoding the vidoe somehow?

I've never used a third party site to download as you can simply download using FF -Windows without the need of any third party.

I think that's what tugshank was suggesting with using the generic browser called "internet"

I haven't tried that yet so I don't know if it has any trouble with YouTube videos.

Thanks so much for clarifying that keepvid is a website/service and not some application I can add to FF-Android.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Fueled by Diet Mtn Dew. ChrisCosta's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No need to use Keepvid.

I came across this app from the xda forum, it's fast, free, and doesn't have any ads, you can download any quality video, works great.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2137743
    Make sure to go into its settings and under Advanced, tick "enable advanced features - download FFmpeg plugin", didn't work for me without that enabled.
    You just use the official YouTube app, click on the share button for the video you want to get and choose YouTube video downloader, from the list.

Hope that helps!
    "Bust a cap" means different things--depending on whether you're a gangsta or an electrician. :D
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for sharing that!

Pls. forgive my ignorance, but has that app been vetted for badware or conflicts with other software on your tablet?

I've had software conflicts in Windoze and unlike Linux which can detect potential conflicts MS doesn't do that.

Again, my sincere gratitude for all your kind help.

Best.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi Chris,

I just tried to connect to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2137743 but got erro messages.

Does that app still exist?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I'm moving you to our video streaming section. The capturing section is mainly for analog video.

Nope. I haven't used any android youtube downloader.... I prefer youtube-dl for Windows. Maybe you can find some Android build for it.
    Hi Baldrick,

I'm trying to install this for a Windows 10 laptop.

Must I also download that ffmeg file, too?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use a gui for youtube-dl like youtube-dl-gui
    Quote Quote  
  20. Would you recommend the 2.25 portable version? The next one seems to be for Pre-Windows.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Is the process that I unzip youtube-dl-gui and install that and then install youtube-dl?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  22. anyone know if rtmpdump for android exist ?
    Quote Quote  
  23. The most famous open source youtube downloader for Android is New Pipe https://github.com/TeamNewPipe/NewPipe

My favourite is Dentex Youtube Downloader (it's not open source the last version, but it was in first versions), it's more simple than New Pipe: Dentex just downloads video, tha's all. By the other side New pipe is a complete Youtube client, with downloading option.

If you want to install in your main android device, I recommend only open source software like New Pipe.

If you want to install in old Android devices that u dont mind if there are problems, then I recommend Dentex Youtube Downloader.

Anyone here has tested yt-dlp in Android? It's my favorite downloader in linux.
    Quote Quote