VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi! Here's the deal: I'm creating DVDs from .mkv files using the following tools: eac3to, MEGui, HCGui, IfoEdit.
    I'm having trouble with 24fps .mkv files (23,976fps files, which are most common, turn out just fine)! The final product is out-of-sync and cannot be synced by delaying the audio! Any suggestions? Perhaps a simple tool for converting audio fps (24 to 25)? Tnx in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You're already using eac3to, why not use it to do the "PAL" speeup?

eac3to input.ext output.ext -speedup
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    poisondeathray, putting your advice to the test as we type! Will come back with results!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Or, encode your progressive video at 23.976fps and run it through DGPulldown when you're done set for 23.976->25fps. That way, if it's already DVD compliant, you won't have to reencode the audio because the video is exactly the same length as it was to begin with. And no out-of-tune audio (not sure how eac3to does it) - no PAL speedup.
    Quote Quote  
  5. eac3to performs a simple speedup (or slowdown if you use slowdown), so no pitch correction compensation is included
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    copy this in custom options (other options) in EAC3to : -24.000 -changeto25.000
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by imhh1 View Post
    oops my bad! Thx for correction!

I misread what he wanted 24.0 to 25, not 24000/1001 to 25.... ughhh
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Arbok View Post
    Hi! Here's the deal: I'm creating DVDs from .mkv files using the following tools: eac3to, MEGui, HCGui, IfoEdit.
    Don't forget MeGUI's audio encoders can be configured to speed up and slow down between 23.976, 24 and 25fps, with and without pitch correction. Under the Time Modification dropdown box.
    Although if you want pitch correction it might pay to do it another way for multi-channel audio. Stereo is fine, but MeGUI adds the following to the log file for multi-channel audio.

When TimeStretch() is used with more than 2 channels, each channel is processed individually in 1 channel mode. This will destroy the phase relationship between the channels.

Speed up and slowdown without pitch correction is fine for both multi-channel and stereo. The pitch correction issue with 5.1ch audio is just a limitation of the TimeStretch Avisynth plugin, as far as I know.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by imhh1 View Post
    oops my bad! Thx for correction!
    My bad too. Don't encode for 23.976fps and then add the pulldown so it outputs 25fps, but encode for 24fps (a legal MPEG-2 framerate) followed by the pulldown step (24->25fps).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    manono, how do I encode for 24fps?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Since source is 24.0 FPS, then you just keep that same framerate in the avs script when you use it in hcenc
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by imhh1 View Post
    Yep, this did the trick! Tnx, you guys!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, everyone! Got a similar problem as above, but now I need to convert 29.97fps mkv file to 25fps mkv file. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Arbok View Post
    ...but now I need to convert 29.97fps mkv file to 25fps mkv file.
    All sorts of possibilities there. Please post a short 10 second sample, one with steady movement. If it's a movie then whoever made the MKV screwed up.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the clip form the movie:
    Quote Quote  
  16. It's a little hard for me to be positive because of the erratic pattern of duplicate frames. But there are a ton of duplicate frames and you definitely don't want to convert directly from 29.97fps to 25fps. You should remove the dupe frames first. This seems to work reasonably well:

FFVideoSource("Sample.mkv")
    Tdecimate(Mode=2,Rate=24,maxndl=6,m2PA=true)

That'll give you 24fps and you can do whatever you like to it after that.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What program is this command line for?
    Last edited by Arbok; 9th Oct 2015 at 17:39.
    Quote Quote  
  18. You're not using AviSynth? Then you had better learn if you want to do this as it's the only way to accomplish duplicate frame removal and undo the damage the encoder did to the video. I already mentioned that if this is a movie the guy screwed up.

Vidcoder and Handbrake can't do it, although there are some AVISynth-based programs where you can modify the scripts they create to do this. Just advance through it frame-by-frame and you'll easily see all the duplicate frames.

Or find another copy somewhere where the encoder actually knows what he's doing. This person was an idiot. Just what the world needs - more incompetently made videos on the Internet.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've never worked with Avisynth before. I just downloaded AvsPmod to work with Avisynth, I hope I did the right thing. If someone could guide me on how to use those command lines properly it would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Try MeGUI. Use the File/Open menu to open the MKV, add the indexing job to the queue and run it. When it's done the script creator will open. Switch to the Filters tab, select "Film" as the source type and enable de-interlacing. That'll get MeGUI to add something like this to the script (switch to the script tab to see it).

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin\TIVTC.dll")
    tfm(order=-1).tdecimate()

The above applies inverse telecine to remove 3:2 pulldown from 29.970 NTSC to output 23.976. You don't want to do that, but you do want to use the same plugin to remove the duplicate frames (TIVTC.dll).
    So keep the first line to load the plugin, but replace the second line with the one manono posted. So you'll end up with something like this:

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin\TIVTC.dll")
    Tdecimate(Mode=2,Rate=24,maxndl=6,m2PA=true)

Click on the preview button and check the output in MeGUI's preview. Keep in mind if you change anything in MeGUI's script creator (cropping or resizing etc) it'll re-write the script and you'll lose any manual changes you made, so you'll have to change them again before saving the script for encoding. MeGUI doesn't have an mpeg2 encoder, but you can use the script it saves/creates in another program that opens Avisynth scripts (ie HC Encoder). This is how your sample looks after applying manono's frame removal suggestion (resized to 720x480).

PS. The script creator has a "load plugin" area at the bottom of the Script tab. You could also use it to load the TIVTC plugin from MeGUI's avisynth_plugin folder and once again add the Tdecimate line manono suggested yourself.
    You don't need to worry about the FFVideoSource line manono suggested if you open the MKV with MeGUI the way I described. It opens the video, but MeGUI will take care of adding that (or something similar).
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by hello_hello; 20th Oct 2015 at 11:39.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tnx, hello_hello! Will try it out when I'll get the chance!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!