VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have had, in the past, some success editing video with Movie Maker. I now have old home movies that imemories has prepared for me. There's lots and lots of junk that needs to be trimmed out of them. After a week of struggling with Movie Maker, I decided maybe the program has become corrupted (if there is such a thing), and just doesn't work right anymore. My big bugaboo is trimming out the bad footage. So I got the trail version of Wondershare Filmora, and I can't trim with that either ! I've watched the tutorial a couple dozen times. It zips through the trimming explanation so fast that I can't tell how she's doing it. I split, then delete or cut and I just delete the whole thing. Trimming is the ONLY problem I have with the software. I understand everything else. I've been trying to overcome the problem for two weeks straight. Can anyone help me figure this out ? Is there other software that has better tutorials ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What is your video source? AVI, MKV, MP4, WMV, etc?

You can cut with free software like virtualdub, avidemux but they do not support every format. Or buy/try a good editor like solveigmm video splitter, videoredo h264 suite, tmpgenc smart renderer and not wondershare crap products....
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm glad to hear "Wondershare crap products". I hope that means there's something better -- that I can actually understand. My video source is MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use avidemux to trim mp4s. It's free but it crashes all the time....Another basic free mp4 trimmer is MP4SPlitter but I have no tried it yet.

Or else try Videoredo h262 suite or/and solveigmm video splitter (try before buying!).
    Quote Quote  
  5. In addition to the tools Baldrick mentioned, for the same price as a wondershare lifetime license you can get an actual NLE like Vegas Movie Studio.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I downloaded SolveigMM Video Splitter, printed out the instructions (written by someone whose first language is not English). I've done two trial runs with it, setting the markers, then trimming the fragment from each and saving the video. In both cases, the resulting videos do not have the fragment cut out. Instead of offering unlimited attempts with watermarks, SolveigMM gives you only 3 attempts. I can't even trim an entire video until I shell out 50 bucks. And I don't know at that point whether it's going to work for me. So I'm going to try out the 4 above new suggestions. I don't mind paying for the software -- but only if it will work for me. Thanks all, for the suggestions.
    Quote Quote