VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I bought an old Hi8 camera (Hitachi) to view some hi8 tapes on my tv. (I 've made them with a Sony camera, wich is now broken).
    I also like to copy them with a dvd-recorder (with harddisk).
    But the problem is that they play to fast (it's like a Charlie Chaplin movie).
    What can I do about this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If there are no speed adjustments for playback on the camera, probably nothing.
    You can run the copies through a video editor and adjust the speed afterwards.

But others here may have some better suggestions. And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't these cameras have a 'long-play' recording setting like a VCR ?

Possible that, just like a VCR (which often has issues with long play recordings on another machine) the newer camera is not picking up that the tape is recorded in long-play so speeds it up. But as for altering at playback........
    Quote Quote  
  4. PAL tape (25 fps) played back at NTSC speed (29.97 fps)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Don't these cameras have a 'long-play' recording setting like a VCR ?

Possible that, just like a VCR (which often has issues with long play recordings on another machine) the newer camera is not picking up that the tape is recorded in long-play so speeds it up. But as for altering at playback........
    That was NEVER a feature of any flavor/version of Video8, Hi8, or Digital8. Likely what jagabo suggested.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There was actually 2 speeds for video8 which is why the op has that issue,the standalone video8 player had a slow speed setting as well as the regular speed,unless you can find such a player or camera with the 2 speed setting for playback then you will need to do what redwudz suggested.

Playing pal at ntsc speeds would not show a stable picture.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Playing pal at ntsc speeds would not show a stable picture.
    That's usually true. But some combinations of players and TV will show a stable picture.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Did some research, and I will have to retract what I said earlier and apologize to johns0. Looks like SOME models did allow an LP mode (though this was never recommended). I guess everyone can learn something new.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Did some research, and I will have to retract what I said earlier and apologize to johns0. Looks like SOME models did allow an LP mode (though this was never recommended). I guess everyone can learn something new.

Scott
    Me too

I am sure my Sony TRV238E has a mode to record 90 mins on a 45 min cassette. Never used it tho.
    Quote Quote  
  10. This forum is very active, I came to the right place
    I 've noticed that the speed setting on my broken camera is indeed LP.
    The Hitachi VM-H80E does'nt have a speed setting, I guess it's very old.
    Maybe I should look for another Hi8 camera to play my tapes, because I also have stripes and get an unstable movie.
    It's unlikely I can fix all that in PowerDirector.

Thanks to all for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Stripes and unstable picture could indicate either of the diagnoses above -- pal/ntsc or SP/LP issue. (My money is on the LP/SP.) You've come up with the only realistic solution. As you've surmised, you can't fix it in power director.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A straight-forward double speed might be easily fixed. But it might not be that simple since all cameras are slightly different.

It might be a good idea to upload a short sample. You will have to do several steps to achieve that if you do not have PC capture equipment.

1. Copy to the HDD on your recorder (better in this case if you just record straight to a dvd in video mode)
    2. Dub the recording to dvd in video mode NOT video recording mode (skip this one if you already did the alternative method from 1.)
    3. Rip/copy the files from the dvd to you PC's HDD and create a mpg file using vob2mpg
    4. Upload the mpg (or even the main vob)
    Quote Quote  
  13. I arranged to buy a Sony dcr trv270E (digital8), hopefully this one can play my tapes and send them trough Firewire/I.link.
    I also add a piece of movie as requested.

Chris
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yip. Obvious LP recording. Not worth wasting time trying to fix that due to the on-screen disturbance.
    Quote Quote