VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello.Can anyone suggest me good Video Codec to download and add in PotPlayer can improve Video and image quality?I have a little problem with Pixelated Video.I don't use MadVR because my GPU is not very capable.And i search too a detailed settings guide for PotPlayer.Thanks for any answer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Well the player can do only so much.

A video that has been thrashed by excessive compression or downscaling is never in a million years going to look good. Sure you can tinker with options but that is like trying to path up a pair of pants that just went trough the lawnmower.

It's a sad fact that regret about compression and resolution always comes after the fact despite the fact that many warn against it.

Perhaps you could post some information about the video in question using MediainfoXP?
    Quote Quote  
  3. As newpball said - it might be just a low quality video. Does it happen with different videos/containers/codecs? Have you checked the vid on different players and computers? What version of PotPlayer do you use? What computer (name the mother board) or laptop (detailed name) is it? What CPU, GPU, how much RAM?

When installing PotPlayer, did you agree to download/install additional internal codecs? If so, you can try them out by changing them in Preferences - Filter Control - Video Decoder - Built-in codec/DXVA settings. You can choose from: Built-in FFmpeg Decoder, OpenCodecUnity, FFmpeg, Libav, Intel QuickSync, Nvidia CUDA, etc.

LAV Filters seem to be good and neat (don't mess up the system). You can check official nightly:
    http://files.1f0.de/lavf/nightly/
    or a bit moded nightly (right-click to download):
    http://tmod.nmm-hd.org/LAVFilters/
    What's moded is explained here: https://astrataro.wordpress.com/2014/10/22/lavfilters-tmod/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just saw this thread and wanted to add a bit of information.

I just switche to PotPlayer from Zoom Player and I also notice that PotPlayer renders videos much more pixalted, even full HD content.

I may be biased, but I still think Zoom+EVR+ffdshow+Haali looks better than Pot + madVR and LAV filters. EVR in Pot, for example, looks very jaggy to me.

To the OP, you can try LAV filters and also testing different renderers in PotPlayers settings.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can try Potplayer+EVR+ffdshow+Haali. If you use lav + madVR, potplayer is not responsible for rendering or even decoding. You're doing something wrong or have been using post-processing filters of ffdshow.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you referring to me or OP?
    Quote Quote