VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
  1. Oh, ok. Not a special one then.

I was thinking of a prog I had uninstalled that makes a display for
    dvd buttons and all. I just don't think the dvd will read differently in alternate players.

That log file should show that the original .ts 6 Gb file had some very high resolution:
    1800 by something. I still think that is suspicious in the encode.

Will have the MediaInfo text shortly. I have to keep saying that since I'm not bearing down on this all the time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Re Media Player for the dvd.

As suggested MP-HC but VLC is more than capable of playing a dvd (do it all the time). Just select 'Open Disk' from the media top menu and point to the drive. Works for dvds stored on your hdd also but then you simply select the .ifo file from the folder.

1800 is not a high resolution especially when your source appears to be HD. Quite the opposite really.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Update:

I installed the latest MPC HC x64 for Win 7. MPC HC plays the disc under the 'select disc' option.
    The same delay problem exists when viewing this way. Visually it appears to be a full second or about one
    line of dialog of average length off.

MPC HC loads the disc with the menu that was made as it would appear on screen in the stand alone player. I have just never got used to using it rather than VLC-- VLC does not play the disc.

Next I have to run that MediaInfo task again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. MediaInfo > View > Text

We will just call this The Duchess

General
    ID : 1 (0x1)
    Complete name : C:\Users\lon\Desktop\The.Duchess*******.1080i.h264-NX.ts
    Format : MPEG-TS
    File size : 6.78 GiB
    Duration : 2h 26mn
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 6 631 Kbps

Video
    ID : 5300 (0x14B4)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : 27
    Bit rate : 5 851 Kbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : Component
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : MBAFF
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.113
    Stream size : 5.98 GiB (88%)
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio #1
    ID : 5301 (0x14B5)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : 129
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 201 MiB (3%)
    Language : English

Audio #2
    ID : 5302 (0x14B6)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Codec ID : 3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 256 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 268 MiB (4%)
    Language : nar

Text #1
    ID : 5303 (0x14B7)-888
    Format : Teletext

Text #2
    ID : 5304 (0x14B8)
    Format : DVB Subtitle
    Codec ID : 6
    Delay relative to video : 2s 571ms

Menu
    ID : 260 (0x104)
    List : 5300 (0x14B4) (AVC) / 5301 (0x14B5) (AC-3, English) / 5302 (0x14B6) (MPEG Audio, nar) / 5303 (0x14B7) () / 5304 (0x14B8) (DVB Subtitle, English)
    Language : / English / nar / / English
    Quote Quote  
  5. VLC does not play the disc
    Notice to make VLC acts as a stand alone player you need to change the default settings:

Tools -> Preferences -> (All) -> Input / Codecs -> DVD with menues -> Untick "Start directly in menu"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Firstly, I am a loss to understand why vlc can not play the disk.

Now mediainfo confirms that there are actually two audio tracks on in the .ts.

I have never attempted to compile a dvd from a source with 2 tracks with this prog- but I would have thought that by loading the .ts direct to avstodvd you can then select which track(s) you want. I also wonder, this being the case, if you would have more success if you attempted to encode by selecting the mp2 track over the ac3 track. That being said, since mp2 is not part of the NTSC spec the program might not have given you that choice. Only _MrC_ , I guess, would be qualified to answer that one. Yet many NTSC players can now handle mp2 audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    VLC does not play the disc
    Notice to make VLC acts as a stand alone player you need to change the default settings:

Tools -> Preferences -> (All) -> Input / Codecs -> DVD with menues -> Untick "Start directly in menu"
    Oh. My oldish version plays 'em straight out of the box. One goos reason not to upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You can select both of the audio tracks. AVStoDVD will direct copy them. Even if mp2 is not 100% NTSC compliant, AVStoDVD is not that picky...

Select both audio tracks (without ticking the demux option), run the project and post here the AVStoDVD log file. Of course, test the DVD and report if the audio tracks are in sync.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just to add to the above.

As previously stated, if you intend to have another go at creating this dvd, create it as dvd_folders and not as a direct burn. A. You will save a little time initially. B. You can test it from the hdd and C. easier to correct should you still have a sync problem.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

Oh. My oldish version plays 'em straight out of the box. One goos reason not to upgrade.
    A good tip. I'll make the change.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Just to add to the above.

As previously stated, if you intend to have another go at creating this dvd, create it as dvd_folders and not as a direct burn. A. You will save a little time initially. B. You can test it from the hdd and C. easier to correct should you still have a sync problem.

I have just checked in on this thread (had some 'server not found' errors all weekend and no I was not part of the big activity.)

I have posted the log but see no 'from the top' as to what to do unless you are all saying just go to AVStoDVD and write the DVD folders to HD rather than disk. The part about 2 audio tracks is still confusing. And I'm cautious about starting another one of those 6 hour projects.

Please just confirm that another go-round with AVStoDVD is called for.

If the DVD folders are created, how then would the audio be manipulated or timed to the video?

In the past I have, with a lot of VH help, been able to take the mp3 made by AGK, process it in some sound programs and then replace the processed audio via-- Virtual Dub. But timing was not involved.

As an answer comes back I will load AVStoDVD and see if I can locate the audio tracks for selection.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well After reloading the .ts into AVStoDVD I see more things but still confused.
    It asks about PAL framerate but that was answered already I think. I select NTSC

The two audio tracks are showing but both show 0 ms delay.

resolution shows 1920x1080 which is huge for my purpose.

DVD5 (is this too small for 2 hrs 26 mins?)

DVD Folder

NTSC

Menu Disabled.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Well After reloading the .ts into AVStoDVD I see more things but still confused.
    It asks about PAL framerate but that was answered already I think. I select NTSC

The two audio tracks are showing but both show 0 ms delay.

resolution shows 1920x1080 which is huge for my purpose.

DVD5 (is this too small for 2 hrs 26 mins?)

DVD Folder

NTSC

Menu Disabled.
    Hold on, let me get this straight you have a 1080/25p 6.6 Mbs movie you try to put on an 29.97i standard definition DVD5?

Apart from the fact that I find that personally objectionable to at least get some notion of 'quality' you should restore the original 24 framerate and then soft telecine this on a DVD9.

No idea of that tool you want to use does that but I won't hold my breath.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A DVD5 is a little 'tight' for 2hrs26. But since you have already encoded once you can judge the final visual quality for yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree that 2 hours and 26 minutes of video on a DVD5 isn't ideal, but it might be watchable for a play if there isn't a lot of movement. If not, well, this is a play. It might be possible to encode for DVD9 (using mpg output for AVStoDVD), find a logical place to divide the video into two roughly equal parts, and author 2 DVD5s, each containing about half the play.

[Edit]Or divide the original HD video in two roughly equal segments and author a DVD5 from each.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Apr 2015 at 18:28.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

A good tip. I'll make the change.

This change I tried but failed. Attempts to run the disk still produce an error. It's a minor inconvenience with ability to run in MPC HC
    Quote Quote  
  17. I want to avoid any multiple disks and such. This one -off job is for one naive user with a simple dvd player.

Going back to the fact that I have the .ts original and also an .mp4 made in Handbrake,
    which can best be used in AVStoDVD in the standard format (DVD5)?

I think much of this is getting bogged down in quality issues and such where simple viewing of the content on an old television system will be the actual playback.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    What is the problem with DVD9?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think it was previously mentioned that using the mp4 to create a dvd will result in a loss of quality.

Now if that end-user is not fussy that may be the way to got. But....

The issue is sound-sync. Is that mp4 in full sync ? If not there is little point in using that. And more so if it is not in sync then the sound issues are in the original .ts so they have to be fixed before going further.

Just a thought. You are testing the sync by just playing random vobs. Play the entire dvd from start to finish. And then report if it is out of sync. If you already did this, I missed it so apologies for asking again.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Not going to go through a whole dvd which I know is bad. Yes I was watching the actual disc to proof it and that's when I saw the problem.

DVD9? I've just been reluctant to buy the media. It never goes down in price even at the
    usual online deal places. Just to confirm, there is no special player needed for dual layer discs?

I'll proof the mp4 again but IIRC it was fine.

As to quality, even at the shown high resolution this is a screen cap and little change takes place
    over these recodes. I even had one down to 500 mb just fooling around.

I'll report back on the sync.....

Yes the 1.4 Gb mp4 has better sync. It may be just a hair's breadth off but acceptable if I can get through this with the media I have.

Will see what the current rate for DVD9 is at Supermedia and Meritline
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search PM
    DVD9? I've just been reluctant to buy the media. It never goes down in price even at the
    usual online deal places.
    I wonder how low of a price should a DVD9 be before you consider buying it?

I mean a good quality DL DVD will set you back about $1.20, that's too much?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not going to go through a whole dvd which I know is bad. Yes I was watching the actual disc to proof it and that's when I saw the problem.

usual online deal places. Just to confirm, there is no special player needed for dual layer discs?

I'll proof the mp4 again but IIRC it was fine.

As to quality, even at the shown high resolution this is a screen cap and little change takes place
    over these recodes. I even had one down to 500 mb just fooling around.

I'll report back on the sync.....

Yes the 1.4 Gb mp4 has better sync. It may be just a hair's breadth off but acceptable if I can get through this with the media I have.

Will see what the current rate for DVD9 is at Supermedia and Meritline
    No special player is needed for DVD+R DL media. If a player won't play a properly authored DVD on DVD+R DL, it likely has trouble with other burned media as well. Burning a video DVD on DVD+R DL requires setting a layer break, but ImgBurn will suggest some locations for that.

Verbatim DVD+R DL is the most reliable. Amazon sells a 5 disc pack in jewel boxes for about $10, and 20 disc cake boxes for about $22. I can understand if that seems like too much to pay if you only need one DVD and don't have use for more yourself.

Be sure to test playback on the PC before burning.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Apr 2015 at 12:18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As long as you realise that the 1.4 gb mp4 is still 2 hours+ and will not look any better than that same dvd on a single layer disk than you achieved direct from the .ts. In fact it will, I guarantee, look worse.

Now you might, just might, get better audio sync if you were to select the mp2 audio stream and tell avstodvd to encode that as ac3 rather than use the existing ac3 track which is not being re-encoded.

And I'll echo u_q's comment about testing playback before burning but I already said that way back when.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Just now I am running the AVStoDVD on the mp4

DVD5 / write to folder to see how it looks and if it's watchable.

Right now I'm sitting on two cake boxes of regular DVD and trying to use them up.

If I were dealing with someone who could playback on computer, the task would be much easier.

It's just a favor and not a big job but something I'd like to pursue anyway.

These threads are always valuable. I just went back to an old one on using divfix for an .AVI problem I had forgotten about.
    Quote Quote  
  25. We are back on topic.

AVStoDVD has run on the mp4 of the original .ts group of files and saved as a file on the hard disk.
    I saved the completed job when requested by AVStoDVD

I located the completed job which, with all it's m2vs and whatnot had to be done with search.
    The files located are a vob set in the normal manner with ifo's, bups etc in the folder. I have proofed the
    first vob and it is in sync and not blurry or in any way unsatisfactory for crt use.

How then to proceed to burning the DVD? Should I locate the job in AVStoDVD and add a menu?
    Then request a dvd burn? These may sound like simple operations but I've had so many false starts
    and bad burns I am just creeping along.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We are back on topic.

AVStoDVD has run on the mp4 of the original .ts group of files and saved as a file on the hard disk.
    I saved the completed job when requested by AVStoDVD

I located the completed job which, with all it's m2vs and whatnot had to be done with search.
    The files located are a vob set in the normal manner with ifo's, bups etc in the folder. I have proofed the
    first vob and it is in sync and not blurry or in any way unsatisfactory for crt use.

How then to proceed to burning the DVD? Should I locate the job in AVStoDVD and add a menu?
    Then request a dvd burn? These may sound like simple operations but I've had so many false starts
    and bad burns I am just creeping along.
    Make sure the other VOBs are in sync too before burning.

You don't need to add a menu unless you want one. Without a menu, the DVD will begin playing the movie immediately after loading.

Do you know how to use ImgBurn's "Burn files/folders to disc" (on the EZPicker screen) to burn the VIDEO_TS folder created by AVStoDVD?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Ok, for this job and just to see how auto play works with no menu I'll burn one that way.

So what are the steps with EZPicker etc? Can this be done through AVStoDVD? Or in Imgburn directly?

Somethings Imgburn can do with no fuss-- others I've had a lot of problems with (making bootables but leave that go.)
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, for this job and just to see how auto play works with no menu I'll burn one that way.

So what are the steps with EZPicker etc? Can this be done through AVStoDVD? Or in Imgburn directly?

Somethings Imgburn can do with no fuss-- others I've had a lot of problems with (making bootables but leave that go.)
    Just use ImgBurn by itself to burn a DVD from the VIDEO_TS folder you created with AVStoDVD.

Directions for using ImgBurn in EZPicker mode to create a DVD from a VIDEO_TS folder: http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides/dvdrip/258-how-to-burn-dvd-video-using-imgburn
    Quote Quote  
  29. Ok, I'll follow that guide and report results. Its screen shots seem well laid out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The EZ-Picker just simplifies the process by one step since from the other menus it would be easy to select 'Write' whereas for dvd-video you select 'Build' The picker goes to the 'Build' screen.

The only thing to take care is to drag the entire Video_ts folder in to the window and not the individual files inside that folder.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!