VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!

I currently have 2 mkv files (different sources of the same movie) that I want to append using mkvmerge.

However, everytime i try to append these 2 files, the video freezes at the point where they merge.

Things I've tried doing, but resulted in failure:
    1. extracting the raw file using mkvextract and then appending them in mkvmerge.
    2. encoding the first file to possibly match the settings of the 2nd file (resolution, bit rate, frame rate, etc) using handbrake, before i appended them.

has anyone tried doing this successfully?

Hoping someone can help!!

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You might be fighting a losing battle. I assume MKVMerge is offering warnings regarding the codec private data not matching, or something similar?

You might find it's easier in the long run to re-encode both files with the same encoder settings and append the encodes. There's an x264 encoder option --stitchable which should ensure the encodes can be appended, but I' don't use Handbrake so I don't know if the version of x264 it uses supports that option or how you'd add it to the command line.

There's probably a GUI or three that'll encode separate files as a single encode so you don't need to append them but I can't think of one of the top of my head (I'd do it with Avisynth, but that has a fair learning curve). Someone may be able to suggest something.
    Quote Quote