VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I use an older Sony PC with Adobe Premiere 6.5 and I am trying to import still pictures. We have a high resolution digital camera and when I try to import files (pictures) the PC freezes up and won't import the files. So I will take the pictures into a simple Paint program and reduce the resolution and try to import again and the pictures still will not import into the editing software. Please advise.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Need more information about the processor and windows version of the sony laptop.
    What dimensions are these still images?
    Are these stills consecutively numbered, in other words, might you inadvertantly be importing the images as an image sequence?
    Quote Quote  
  3. More info on your computer would help but try to change the size of one of those photos to 640 x480 and see if that will import to Premiere. That's pretty small by today's standards but if it works that will point you in the right direction.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  4. Desk top Sony Windows XP with Pentium 3 purchased in 2003. All pictures prior to 2014 import fine into the program. Details on some of the pictures: 5184 x 3888, 350 dpi, 5.62 mb jpeg from a Sony DSC HX300 digital camera. Then import into Paint and change resolution to 640x480. Pictures are labeled where there from: jennylake1 -
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Seriously, you are trying to run Photoshop 6 with a Pentium 3?

Does not make any sense whatsoever.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html#main_Photoshop_CS6_system_requirements
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Seriously, you are trying to run Photoshop 6 with a Pentium 3?

Does not make any sense whatsoever.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html#main_Photoshop_CS6_system_requirements
    @ newbpall -- Please learn to read. OP never mentioned Photoshop or CS6.

Now back to the issue at hand. You still haven't specified whether the images were sequentially numbered. Is it jennylake1, jennylake2...etc? Also what format are you outputting from paint, , jpg, png..? RGB, CMYK? Taking treetops advice a little further, try exporting from paint at 640x480 RGB jpg.

Premiere 6.5 is old (2002) as is your computer so the usable formats and types may be very limited. What is different about your pre-2014 photos?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    @ newbpall -- Please learn to read. OP never mentioned Photoshop or CS6.
    Oh that's right I misread that.

At any rate I think the poster is wasting his time trying to do video with a Pentium 3.

Heck, a free computer at the Salvation Army is probably faster than that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm not using Photoshop. It's the simple Paint program in Accessories. Files are named "2014 P by stream" "2014 P w Mom" "2014 March passport" and I am saving the files as jpeg to import into the Premiere program. The only thing I can see a difference on the pre-2014 pictures is that the resolution is not as high. Maybe it's not a Pentium 3. I will double check when I get home.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jstevens30 View Post
    Details on some of the pictures: 5184 x 3888, 350 dpi, 5.62 mb jpeg from a Sony DSC HX300 digital camera. Then import into Paint and change resolution to 640x480.

Try resizing them @ 72 dpi
    Quote Quote  
  10. It might be Pentium 4, I used work with Premiere 6.5 and Pentium 4, but working with DV avi only, but I remember Pentium 3 would be still ok for DVavi. But you perhaps do not work with DVavi , but just with images.

I'd say 640x480 (4:3) is perhaps only realistic solution for that software and PC. Go ahead and try 1280x960 (for your pictures keep 4:3 ratio) and try to make Premiere to load or export it. I think it might not work.

Resize to 720x480 (anamorphic) is a solution also, to produce DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I can import .avi files into Premiere but this is a Graduation picture video with just music underneath. How do I resize to 72 dpi in Paint? It only allows Pixels and I select 640x480 but doesn't reduce the dpi.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I still have a copy of Premiere 6.5 on my old P4, and just tried to open a jpg from my digital camera in it. It crashed the program.
    Doesn't seem to make any difference whether I re-size, or change the resolution... still crashes the program.

Sample jpgs supplied in the XP 'my pictures' folder open fine...???

If I change the same jpg from my camera to a .bmp, it opens up fine in Pemeiere 6.5 .

Although this is a very old version of Premiere, you can, amazingly, actually edit HD video with it. It works fine with HD intraframe video --like Cineform or Grass Valley HQ.

Just make up an appropriate project setting, edit in 6.5 and frameserve the output....And using an intraffame format means you don't need much computing power either...

OK, probably not a really a lot of use to that many folk these days, but it does work.....

To the OP... try changing your jpgs into bmp and see if that works for you....
    Quote Quote  
  13. Ok, I will try changing to bmp and try to import into program. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  14. One more thing. There's several ways to save as a bmp file in paint: 16 color bmp / 256 color bmp / 24-bit Bitmap. Which one do you think would work best?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First of all DPI means nothing when it comes to video. Use FastoneViewer (free) to batch resize and convert to format of your choice. I would go with PNG myself.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  16. @ jstevens30 ... I used 24bit

@racer-x .....I tried png. In this particular case that crashed Premiere 6.5 too...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well then go with BMP or TIFF.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just remember'd that I wrote a guide on creating a slideshow in Premiere 6.5 way back 12 years ago. Maybe it will help.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/137547-Super-High-Quality-Slideshows-with-Premiere-6-5-Guide

Don't bother asking any questions, it's been that long since I've used Premiere.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Heck, a free computer at the Salvation Army is probably faster than that.
    Hahaha
    Quote Quote  
  20. So I changed the pictures to bmp and imported them into Adobe Premiere 6.5 just fine and all is good. My Sony PC is actually a Pentium 4, 2.66 ghz. It's fine for what I need to do. Thank you for all the assistance.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Regarding jpg images: I don't know if it's the case here, but a lot of older programs can't handle progressive jpg.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!