VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks in advance. I have a Dazzle I bought a few years back, sorry I do not have the info on it as to what exact type. But it
    looks exactly like the same one on there web page now. I contacted Pinnacle asking them on what software will work since the
    CD was lost in a move a while back, they refuse to help. But I have several cassettes I been wanting to convert to mp3 down the
    road and a few VCR's I want to turn into video files too. Any help appreciated.
    MK
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to install drivers that work for Windows 8.1 before moving on to finding software. If you can't get compatible drivers installed, you might as well toss the Dazzle and buy something else.

If Windows 8.1 doesn't install any drivers when you plug in the Dazzle capture device, you will have to install them manually. Pinnacle's driver downloads are here: http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFiles/Hardware_Installer/readmeHW10.htm You probably have Windows 8.1 64-bit. If so download the 64-bit driver installer for the DVC100, DVC101, or DVC103

The installer is an .exe file. Right click on it and select "Properties". Open the "Compatibility" tab. Click the box that says "Run this program in Compatibility mode for..." and also select Windows 7 from the drop down menu. Check the box which says "Run this program as administrator" at the bottom. Save these changes and double-click the installer to begin the install. Once the install completes reboot your PC and verify that the Dazzle installed correctly by looking for the device in Device Manager with the Dazzle plugged in. Capture devices are usually found under "Sound Video and Game Controllers".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I personally won't even bother to help you with the Dazzle. I'll just give you different advice.

Dazzle support has been horrible ten years ago, and likely will not be any better with a product that's aged 10 years since, and due to the fact that they've been bought out and goodness-knows-what since. And typically their products were also horrible too.

As well, many Dazzle products were also notoriously unpopular due to the fact that they were not portable to other software. They will only "work" (notice the quotes) under their own proprietary environment, so without that CD, which is already eons old, you're in a high probability out-of-luck situation. I can bet that your Dazzle product won't work with, for example, VirtualDub. I'm curious to see if Usually_quiet's advice will work.

But I say to do yourself a favor and forget the Dazzle. Yeah, you likely spent love and money on it, but just write it off for your sanity's sake today. For only a small amount of money, likely less than 20% what you paid for the (vastly overpriced) Dazzle then, you can get yourself a very nice USB capture stick and save yourself a lot of headaches. Look into ezcap.tv (from the site of the same name), Hauppauge USB-Live2 and StarTech SVID2USB2. All high quality, and reliable, and work within many formats and applications. (But I don't recommend you use the packaged apps.)

Also if you're capturing audio from older analog formats such as audio cassettes, your on-board sound card should be fine at 48K/16 bit/stereo with an app like Audacity to capture. You don't need the Dazzle, or any capture device, for this. A composite-to-3.5mm should do. (I even capture VHS audio through the sound card too, and bypass the capture device.)
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    You need to install drivers that work for Windows 8.1 before moving on to finding software. If you can't get compatible drivers installed, you might as well toss the Dazzle and buy something else.

If Windows 8.1 doesn't install any drivers when you plug in the Dazzle capture device, you will have to install them manually. Pinnacle's driver downloads are here: http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFiles/Hardware_Installer/readmeHW10.htm You probably have Windows 8.1 64-bit. If so download the 64-bit driver installer for the DVC100, DVC101, or DVC103

The installer is an .exe file. Right click on it and select "Properties". Open the "Compatibility" tab. Click the box that says "Run this program in Compatibility mode for..." and also select Windows 7 from the drop down menu. Check the box which says "Run this program as administrator" at the bottom. Save these changes and double-click the installer to begin the install. Once the install completes reboot your PC and verify that the Dazzle installed correctly by looking for the device in Device Manager with the Dazzle plugged in. Capture devices are usually found under "Sound Video and Game Controllers".
    Will do, thank you very much !
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    I personally won't even bother to help you with the Dazzle. I'll just give you different advice.

Dazzle support has been horrible ten years ago, and likely will not be any better with a product that's aged 10 years since, and due to the fact that they've been bought out and goodness-knows-what since. And typically their products were also horrible too.

As well, many Dazzle products were also notoriously unpopular due to the fact that they were not portable to other software. They will only "work" (notice the quotes) under their own proprietary environment, so without that CD, which is already eons old, you're in a high probability out-of-luck situation. I can bet that your Dazzle product won't work with, for example, VirtualDub. I'm curious to see if Usually_quiet's advice will work.

But I say to do yourself a favor and forget the Dazzle. Yeah, you likely spent love and money on it, but just write it off for your sanity's sake today. For only a small amount of money, likely less than 20% what you paid for the (vastly overpriced) Dazzle then, you can get yourself a very nice USB capture stick and save yourself a lot of headaches. Look into ezcap.tv (from the site of the same name), Hauppauge USB-Live2 and StarTech SVID2USB2. All high quality, and reliable, and work within many formats and applications. (But I don't recommend you use the packaged apps.)

Also if you're capturing audio from older analog formats such as audio cassettes, your on-board sound card should be fine at 48K/16 bit/stereo with an app like Audacity to capture. You don't need the Dazzle, or any capture device, for this. A composite-to-3.5mm should do. (I even capture VHS audio through the sound card too, and bypass the capture device.)
    Thanks. I appreciate your views/advice. At the time I bought it, it worked pretty well for my needs to back up old vhs tapes. I didnt think to attempt to go staight to the audio input and use Audasity, I have used that program before, love it... I got my brothers
    old cassettes I made for him years ago. He has passed away now, so I would like to preserve them on cd. Thanks again. Will also
    look into that use capture stick.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sure, let us know if you do get the Dazzle to work, with or without the CD.

As for the audio capture, you can get yourself a composite-to-3.5mm cable online for as little as $1USD. You don't need the highest quality cable or sound card for this when it comes from audio cassette source. You also don't need a capture device for this either.

I use 48K/16 bit/stereo for all audio capture, particularly since much of it is from video capture, and for DvD, but have to convert to 44.1K if I want anything on CD (which is a painless process). In your case, you can just skip the conversion step and capture at 44.1K/16 bit/stereo if all you care for is CD.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!