VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I just discovered that the Vegas Pro 8 I bought from an ebay vendor as a digital download over 5 years ago is a bootleg. I only found out because when I went to update to 8.0c from 8.0a, it kept coming up as a trial and I contacted tech support for help getting it to work.

When I run the file I got from the ebay vendor it installs, a Sony registration window comes up and it says registration complete. Software works flawlessly. However, the support tech said they have no record of me having this software in their database, that the SN is for a trial version. Apparently it's a trial version that's been cracked and the original download link was to some site other than Sony.

In the install file properties box, I notice under Comments it says Team V.R private build which the Sony support rep said doesn't appear in legitimate copies. Apparently it's a signature by the hackers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hundreds of Ebay/PayPal purchases to my name and have NEVER been burned. I use these things called common sense and research.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Hundreds of Ebay/PayPal purchases to my name and have NEVER been burned. I use these things called common sense and research.
    What do you see as the usefulness of your commentary?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It was: "you get what you pay for".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    It was: "you get what you pay for".

Scott
    The problem is when you don't get what you pay for. As I recall the price was in line for what you'd expect to pay for older software. I just wasn't aware of how lax the ebay system was in allowing this kind of thing to go on, wasn't clued-in on people using torrent sites for this kind of thing.

Ironically I've seen a lot of complaints about ebay booting sellers who sell legitimate items like certain brand handbags, setting up a ridiculous, unattainable standard of proof, basically because the major retailers make a stink about it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is there no recourse available from eBay? Amazon has A-Z guarantee.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    5 years later, NOBODY is going to give you recourse. Ebay gives you a hard limit of 45 days to complain, after that - sucks to be you. If you contact Ebay before the 45 days is up, basically they freeze the clock while they examine your claim, but it's way beyond the time limit now.

I can only tell you about Amazon that 11 years ago I bought a cell phone that was supposed to work in all 4 possible GSM bands (2 US bands and 2 "outside US" bands) and I was sold a phone that AT&T deliberately crippled to only work in one US and one foreign band. I protested with Amazon and they said over and over and over that I had to work it out with the seller and they couldn't do anything. I protested the charge with my credit card company and that got the seller's attention. I got a refund. So while that was 11 years ago and maybe things have changed or maybe they haven't, I sure don't want to roll the dice any more that Amazon has my back on anything when a 3rd party sells it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    What jman said above. And the way ebay has their archives structured I don't think I could even tell which seller it was. This was before I started archiving everything I get related to ebay purchases. Several of the transactions say "No longer a registered user". My guess is by now they may have been shut down and started new accounts several times over.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But surely ebay sellers not being the precise creator can NOT offer digital downloads or, rather, legitimate downloads ?

And how can you 'upgrade' from 8.0c to 8.0a ? Surely 'a' came out before 'c' ? And 8.1 would succeed both of those.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But surely ebay sellers not being the precise creator can NOT offer digital downloads or, rather, legitimate downloads ?
    I don't know if that's true or not. Maybe they can be authorized to offer x-number of digital downloads? This one wasn't legitimate.

And how can you 'upgrade' from 8.0c to 8.0a ? Surely 'a' came out before 'c' ? And 8.1 would succeed both of those.
    Read it again. It order you got of out.

I believe 8.1 was the 64-bit version, and from the feedback I've seen it wasn't an exact duplicate of 8.0 that was created for 64-bit, apparently it was full of uncorrected bugs.
    Last edited by brassplyer; 26th Feb 2015 at 19:38.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Nostalgia, off topic,
    I still keep that good old version, 32 bit, 8.0c , the very end of 32bit era only, .... for mpeg2 editing that version is still excellent and soon realizing that DebugMode Frame server exported always to the latest top H.264 encoder, that time x264 was pretty solid already. I tried to explain to many, that there is no need to upgrade just for the sake of having latest version ... btw. that 8.0c exports progressive HDV losslessly to 30p again (30p stored as 30i, and then flag changing it to 30p), where as latest versions would not

Users after that version started to observe: export does not work this, memory problem that etc., Vegas users started to fill forums with quite substantial problems, ... for some I guess it was a reason to drop this or that version because something did not work, which was not quite normal before ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Nostalgia, off topic,
    I still keep that good old version, 32 bit, 8.0c , the very end of 32bit era only, .... for mpeg2 editing that version is still excellent and soon realizing that DebugMode Frame server exported always to the latest top H.264 encoder, that time x264 was pretty solid already. I tried to explain to many, that there is no need to upgrade just for the sake of having latest version ... btw. that 8.0c exports progressive HDV losslessly (30p stored as 30i, and then flag changing it to 30p), where as latest versions would not
    What motivated me to look into updating was that I got a camera that shoots in AVCHD and discovered the base 8.0a chokes on it, but 8.0c will handle it. Otherwise 8.0a met my needs just fine.

Since starting this thread I've ordered a sealed copy of VP9 on ebay.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
    Hope you are not going to be fooled twice, after all:

Are you sure VP9 is even supported?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post
    I've ordered a sealed copy of VP9 on ebay.
    ... then watch out for export and memory errors ... or you end up using dmfs to be on safe side ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Hope you are not going to be fooled twice, after all:

Are you sure VP9 is even supported?
    What they can't fake is whether it's a real, stamped, commercially made disk or a burnable. It's not like they have 50 of them up on ebay. As I understand it, the cost of having stamped disks made would be prohibitive for actually making a profit and you probably would have a hard time finding someone in the states who would make them since it would be obvious copyright infringement.

If there's a problem with it, I'll get my money back from Ebay.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Can you post link to VP9 you ordered?
    and how much you pay for previous purchase of Vegas Pro 8?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    5 years later, NOBODY is going to give you recourse. Ebay gives you a hard limit of 45 days to complain, after that - sucks to be you.
    Hahaha, true that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VP9 is a video codec, not an N.L.E. Call it Vegas Pro 9, so people don't think you're a moron.....
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    VP9 is a video codec, not an N.L.E. Call it Vegas Pro 9, so people don't think you're a moron.....
    Au contraire - if people don't grasp what I'm talking about from the thread since I specifically mentioned Vegas Pro in the op, they get to wear the moron label.

Apparently you didn't understand I was talking about Vegas Pro 9?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Au contraire - if people don't grasp what I'm talking about from the thread since I specifically mentioned Vegas Pro in the op, they get to wear the moron label.

Not quite. I said that so you would stop referring to Vegas Pro 9 as VP9. You clearly didn't know what VP9 is or you wouldn't do that. It was an effort to help you stop degrading yourself unintentionally.

I see now my effort was lost, carry on then.........
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Not quite.
    That's what I figured - you didn't grasp that I was talking about Vegas Pro 9.

You also didn't notice that you were the only one who didn't understand this.

But that's okay, we understand you're trying really, really hard to keep up and that's what counts.

.pat you on head
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ha, ha, ha, too funny.

Carry on............
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Buying software on eBay is a crapshoot, at best.

Oh, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9_%28disambiguation%29

I guess you need to modify that page as VP9 has another common association...
    Quote Quote  
  24. You do not want to get the dreaded Banana Virus on your computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Constant Gardener View Post
    You do not want to get the dreaded Banana Virus on your computer.
    Nobody expects the Banana Virus!!!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!