VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I am having trouble coping a DVD that I made on my JVC DR MV150B.. It will play in the JVC, my computer and my Panasonic Blu-Ray Player/Recorder.. When I make a copy of this DVD, it will play in my computer and the JVC; but will Not play in the Blu-Ray.. I made 3 different copies all with the same results.. I am using IMGBurning software.. Is there a better Freeware Software?? What is the best reasonably DVD Coping Software that I could use, if it is not too complicated to use..
    Thx. for all suggestions and advice..
    W.G.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by wg_rebel View Post
    I am using IMGBurning software.. Is there a better Freeware Software??
    No. Your problem lies elsewhere.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you used a +R disc in the JVC, is there a setting to "Make Disc Compatible" or "Finalize" or something along those lines? Even if you used a -R, look for something in the JVC menu.
    There might be more than one recording "mode", something like VR Mode that is usually something to avoid using. You want to record in something like DVD Video Mode. I don't know the exact wording JVC uses.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,
    I am having trouble coping a DVD that I made on my JVC DR MV150B.. It will play in the JVC, my computer and my Panasonic Blu-Ray Player/Recorder.. When I make a copy of this DVD, it will play in my computer and the JVC; but will Not play in the Blu-Ray.. I made 3 different copies all with the same results.. I am using IMGBurning software.. Is there a better Freeware Software?? What is the best reasonably DVD Coping Software that I could use, if it is not too complicated to use..
    Thx. for all suggestions and advice..
    W.G.
    You need to give us a little more info, bro. When you say you have trouble with "a DVD" you made, what kind of DVD disc? See, DVD discs come as DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and even in double layer types. What brand of disc are you using (yes, I'm afraid it really does matter). Did you originally make a DVD+R and try copying it to a different disc type, like DVD+R to DVD-R, or something like that? Are you sure nothing happen to the original that would affect playback or copying -- like, check for big greasy fingerprints, deep scratches on the top label side as well as on the bottom.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  5. Are you authoring these files to DVD, AVCHD on DVD, Bluray, or just burning the files straight onto the disk? If authored, what software did you use? What brand of disc are you using? What writing speed are the discs you're using rated at? What speed are you writing to them? If you're burning DVDs above 8x then try burning at either 8x or 6x. If you're just burning the files straight onto the disc then, beware, as my Panasonic Bluray Player will play different formats depending upon how they're presented to the Player (e.g. DVD, memory card, USB hard drive, over the network). As LMotlow said, you need to give us a little more info. (I'm sorry, I just couldn't bring myself to add the "bro" at the end and keep a straight face!)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    Are you authoring these files to DVD, AVCHD on DVD, Bluray, or just burning the files straight onto the disk? If authored, what software did you use? What brand of disc are you using? What writing speed are the discs you're using rated at? What speed are you writing to them? If you're burning DVDs above 8x then try burning at either 8x or 6x. If you're just burning the files straight onto the disc then, beware, as my Panasonic Bluray Player will play different formats depending upon how they're presented to the Player (e.g. DVD, memory card, USB hard drive, over the network). As LMotlow said, you need to give us a little more info. (I'm sorry, I just couldn't bring myself to add the "bro" at the end and keep a straight face!)
    If you can't dazzle them with the brilliance, baffle them with the bullshit.
    The OP is just trying to copy a DVD that he/she made with a VHS/DVD recorder combo.
    At no point while typing all of that did you ever stop to think it would confuse a newbie?
    Last edited by hech54; 1st Feb 2015 at 09:50. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  7. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    If you can't dazzle them with the brilliance, baffle them with the bullshit.
    hech54 at his best . Now seriously, I like the way your mind works .
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All, thanks for replying..
    hech54, U R correct in that I don't know what "authoring" means.. And that I (a he by the way) used my JVC MV150B to make an DVD from Data
    that I recorded on my DirecTV DVR using an Verbatim DVD+R Disc.. I did Finalize the Disc; I don't think there is another option and I assume it is why
    my Panasonic Blu-Ray Player will play this Disc.. I make copies of this Disc to give to my buddies.. But each time I try it will NOT play in my Blu-Ray
    Player, but it will in my JVC MV150B and in my Computer.. ImgBurn makes an Image of my Disc stores it on my Computer and then Writes the Data
    onto the Disc I am using for the Copy.. I am using the same brand and type of disc (Verbatim DVD+R) trying to make a good Copy..
    I can't figure it out.. Please ask questions if U need more information.. Thx.. Do U think it could be My LG_Combi DVD Reader/Writer that is in my Computer??
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All, thanks for replying..
    hech54, U R correct in that I don't know what "authoring" means.. And that I (a he by the way) used my JVC MV150B to make an DVD from Data
    that I recorded on my DirecTV DVR using an Verbatim DVD+R Disc.. I did Finalize the Disc; I don't think there is another option and I assume it is why
    my Panasonic Blu-Ray Player will play this Disc.. I make copies of this Disc to give to my buddies.. But each time I try it will NOT play in my Blu-Ray
    Player, but it will in my JVC MV150B and in my Computer.. ImgBurn makes an Image of my Disc stores it on my Computer and then Writes the Data
    onto the Disc I am using for the Copy.. I am using the same brand and type of disc (Verbatim DVD+R) trying to make a good Copy..
    I can't figure it out.. Please ask questions if U need more information.. Thx.. Do U think it could be My LG_Combi DVD Reader/Writer that is in my Computer??
    It could be the PC optical drive, or a problem with the the Blu-Ray player, or something else.

DVD video mode is the most compatible recording mode for playback using other devices, but some DVD recorders always use +VR mode with DVD+R or DVD+RW discs. Many players can play both DVDs recorded in +VR mode and DVDs recorded in standard Video Mode, but a percentage of players are confused by the differences in +VR mode recordings.

Use Windows Explorer to view the DVD file and folder structure for the original DVD you are trying to copy to find out if that is what you have. There should be a VIDEO_TS folder containing .VOB, .IFO, and .BUP files if the disc recorded in either DVD Video mode or +VR mode. There might also be an AUDIO_TS folder, but DVD recorders don't always add one. Are there any other folders present in addition to a VIDEO_TS (and possibly AUDIO_TS folder)? If there are, the disc was likely recorded in +VR mode.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Feb 2015 at 15:40. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi usually_quiet thx for your reply..
    There is 2 Folders at what I would call the Root Dir.; Video_RM and Video_TS .. And this Text: [.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21815 .. Inside the Video_RM Folder is 3 files; Video_RM.BUP , Video_RM.DAT and Video_RM ..
    Inside the Video_TS Folder are 8 files: Video_TS.BUP , Video_TS 12 KB (its the menu of the DVD) , Video_TS 54 KB (it looks like an video but will not play) , VTS_01_0.BUP , VTS_01_0 , VTS_01_1 , VTS_01_2 , VTS_01_3 ..
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    VIDEO_RM......ouch.
    You may want to scroll through the menu of this machine and look for "Recording" modes.
    I've never owned a DVD Recorder that created VIDEO_RM folders, but VIDEO_RM folders
    usually spell bad news (once the DVD is recorded, as in your case) and it spells bad news
    because you may have used the wrong recording mode.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi usually_quiet thx for your reply..
    There is 2 Folders at what I would call the Root Dir.; Video_RM and Video_TS .. And this Text: [.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21815 .. Inside the Video_RM Folder is 3 files; Video_RM.BUP , Video_RM.DAT and Video_RM ..
    Inside the Video_TS Folder are 8 files: Video_TS.BUP , Video_TS 12 KB (its the menu of the DVD) , Video_TS 54 KB (it looks like an video but will not play) , VTS_01_0.BUP , VTS_01_0 , VTS_01_1 , VTS_01_2 , VTS_01_3 ..
    The VIDEO_RM folder is an indication that your DVD+R was recorded in +VR mode. I have a DVD recorder that records in +VR mode which also creates a VIDEO_RM folder. The DVD recorder uses the VIDEO_RM folder internally until a DVD+R is finalized, at which time the recorder creates a top menu. It is likely that your DVD recorder won't allow true Video Mode recording on DVD+R or DVD+RW.

Like I wrote in my earlier post, +VR mode was designed in such a way that it is compatible with most DVD and Blu-Ray players, but a few might have trouble with it. That said, it is not certain that +VR mode recording is what causes your Blu-Ray player to be unable to play the disc. It is also possible that your Panasonic Blu-Ray player doesn't like DVD+R media, for one reason or another.

Can you borrow another DVD player or Blu-Ray player to use for test purposes?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Feb 2015 at 08:19. Reason: left out a word
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I have an Samsung Blu-Ray somewhere.. But what I don't understand is, the Master that I created on the JVC recorder will play on everything, but I can Not make a copy of the Master Disc that will play on the Panasonic Blu-Ray.. I put one of the Master Copies in my computer, looked at it with Explorer and the files look exactly the same to me on the exact same brand and type Disc..
    I check my JVC recorder and the only thing that I can change is the Recording Speed.. I did not see any other Disc Recording Mode Options..
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Probably a CPRM problem.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I have an Samsung Blu-Ray somewhere.. But what I don't understand is, the Master that I created on the JVC recorder will play on everything, but I can Not make a copy of the Master Disc that will play on the Panasonic Blu-Ray.. I put one of the Master Copies in my computer, looked at it with Explorer and the files look exactly the same to me on the exact same brand and type Disc..
    I check my JVC recorder and the only thing that I can change is the Recording Speed.. I did not see any other Disc Recording Mode Options..
    How did you copy the master DVD using ImgBurn? Did you create an ISO copy on the PC and burn that? Did you burn at the maximum speed allowed for the media (16X for 16X media) or did you reduce the burn speed to about half of the maximum (8X for 16X media)? It is normally recommended to burn ISOs and reduce the burning speed somewhat from the maximum allowed for the media.

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Probably a CPRM problem.

Scott
    I don't think that is possible. To have a CPRM problem, the original recording would need to have been recorded in -VR mode (not +VR) on DVD-RAM or special CPRM-compatible DVD-RW (both hard to find now in the USA), and a copy wouldn't play on anything, not even the DVD recorder that created the original DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    ImgBurn did make an ISO that is still on my Computer to make the Copy..
    I did not change or set the speed, I think it was set at Max..
    Going to burn another copy at an slower Speed.. Set Speed at 4x.. Process looked OK
    until it was trying to Finalize, go an "No Seek Complete" Error.. it will not quit trying or eject
    the Disc.. I will try again; I will give update later..
    Thx. W.G.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi usually_quiet,
    Wonder of wonders, I found my Samsung Blu-Ray and hooked it up to my Samsung TV..
    Loaded 1 of the Copies (actually 3 Copies) after a long wait (more than normal) and the Blu-Ray
    Player making lots of noises it can read the discs and play them.. Thank U..
    But I have an inquisitive mind, I still don't understand what's going on, but would like to know..
    Thx. again to all..
    W.G.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Are your Verbatim discs from their Life series? Those are lower quality discs so if you're using those, it may be a case of low quality media having problems in various players. That happens all the time.

If you don't know if they are Life series or not, the free DVD Identifier program can be used on a disc to identify who made it. Post back the info here and we can tell if you've got the low quality ones or not.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Given the error message seen when burning the media at 4X, I think the the burner is having some difficulty with the Verbatim DVD+R media you are using. Load one of the Verbatim DVD+R discs into your PC burner and open ImgBurn in Discovery mode. Look in the Disc Information section on the right hand side if the window. What is the MID? Media sold under the Verbatim label is not necessarily made by Verbatim anymore. The Verbatim "Life" series media sold in most stores is not made by Verbatim, does not use Verbatim's AZO dye, and does not burn as reliably as Verbatim's product lines that use their own AZO dyes.

[Edit]jman98 typed faster.
    Quote Quote  
  20. According to the DR-MV150B manual (http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/01/37/LVT2016-001D.pdf) Recording to DVD+R will always be in Video Mode, not Video Recording (VR) mode.

The disc format for DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW discs is always “Video format”—the same as pre-recorded DVD-Video discs. This means that once finalized, you can play a DVD-R, DVD+R, or DVD+RW (Video mode) in a regular DVD player.
    It sounds like you did everything correctly. That pretty much points to the media, or possibly the writing speed.

Let us know how your reduced writing speed trial works.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi usually_quiet,
    Here is the Info; MID: MCC-004-00 ..
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by drjtech View Post
    According to the DR-MV150B manual (http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/01/37/LVT2016-001D.pdf) Recording to DVD+R will always be in Video Mode, not Video Recording (VR) mode.

The disc format for DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW discs is always “Video format”—the same as pre-recorded DVD-Video discs. This means that once finalized, you can play a DVD-R, DVD+R, or DVD+RW (Video mode) in a regular DVD player.
    True, it was not recorded in -VR mode. However, the manual is incorrect about DVD+R being recorded in true DVD Video mode. That recorder uses +VR mode for DVD+R, which looks much the same as Video mode, except for the VIDEO_RM folder. I don't believe you will find a VIDEO_RM folder on a DVD recorded in true Video mode.

Hi usually_quiet,
    Here is the Info; MID: MCC-004-00 ..
    Well, that is a genuine Verbatim MID. Your burner must not like burning those DVD+R discs at 4X.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi usually_quiet,
    I tried it at 8x, got the same No Seek Complete Error.. What does that mean??

W.G.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi usually_quiet,
    I tried it at 8x, got the same No Seek Complete Error.. What does that mean??

W.G.
    To get the most technically accurate answer, I think you would have to post in the ImgBurn support forum. http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/forum/6-imgburn-support/ They need a complete program log from a bad burn before attempting to diagnose the problem.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!