VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I'll explain you my problem : for a few weeks, one of my portable computer freezes after 2 or 5 minutes when I turned it on. A few days before the problem happens, my computer signaled that my battery was defective and had that I have to think about change it, I decided to order a new battery on internet but I was in a exam period, so I had to put it off and if necessary I used my other computer.

Before ordering, I tested the functional battery of a friend (we have the same computer), I turned it on, everything seemed to work but after 15 minutes, the screen froze again...
    Since I never had this problem before and it's just after the reporting of my defective battery that it happened, I thought it was related, moreover, one cause of a windows freeze is a poor diet.

Do you have an idea of the origin of my problem? or else a solution, please?

I think the problem is maybe :

- really with the battery but why with another one, the problem is still here?
    - virus? but after a scan there is no problem with that
    - the poor diet/defective battery cause damage to my computer or piece inside, if it's possible...

#edit (january 26, 2015) : I forgot to add that, after 5 minutes if the screen doesn't freeze and I turn off the laptop, it runs and the screen shows that http://blog.silvyn.net/public/captures/windows7rc_04.png but after 10 minutes it doesn't turn off and stay that way indefinitely...
    Last edited by WazaKrash; 26th Jan 2015 at 07:36.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    How old is the computer, what is the brand and model.

A freeze could be anything. Did you run a memory test?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could be almost anything but top three.

1: In safe mode run malwarebytes

2: Check hard drives health and without being powered up remove memory and clean contacts, some say eraser works well, refit.

3: Might be time to replace the heatsink compound ... especially if you have a bad habit of leaving on flat surfaces or as a lap toy.

Brand and model of the unit involved helps when trouble shooting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's a samsung R730 and he's approximately 5 or 6 years old.
    The computer (the same as me) of my friend is a little older but still works very well.

Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Did you run a memory test?
    no, then I'm gonne test it.
    Last edited by WazaKrash; 25th Jan 2015 at 04:19.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can check the CPU temperatures and some battery information with HWInfo: http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

If you've had that laptop for several years, it may just be overheating from a clogged cooling system.
    Quote Quote  
  6. As was mentioned before, what brand and model laptop is this? The battery could be part of the problem, most laptops will run without a battery installed, try that (you might have to change a setting in the BIOS).

A malware scan is always a good thing to do and doesn't cost anything. Download Combofix, rename the file to random characters and run it. If there is anything it will find it. It might take a long time to finish, it will show a log when it's done.

Laptop CPU fans get filled with dust quickly, insert a small stick in the openings to prevent the fan from spinning and blow compressed air through the inlet and outlet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your answers, men.

Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    run a memory test
    So, I do it and the computer hasn't dectect a problem, it looks like ok for him.

Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    if you have a bad habit of leaving on flat surfaces or as a lap toy.
    seriously? so all the time when I pose it on my desk on a cybercoffee or at work.

Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    check the CPU temperatures and some battery information
    It's already done, the battery that my friend lent me is functionnal (but mine is defective) and the computer temperature is normal, no big problem reported with that.
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    If you've had that laptop for several years, it may just be overheating from a clogged cooling system.
    Oh, ok, I'll check that too, it's true that I often cleaned the dust encrusted in the ventilator of my cpu tower but I didn't think of that possibility for my laptop, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    As was mentioned before, what brand and model laptop is this?
    Originally Posted by WazaKrash View Post
    It's a samsung R730 laptop and he's approximately 5 or 6 years old.
    The battery could be part of the problem
    Yeah, at first that was the problem but now I use one functionnal that my friends lent me and this battery work normally but even with that there still the problem of screen freeze.

But thanks for your others advices, I'll check that too of course.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

If the problem is the temperature, my laptop doesn't seem to emit as much heat.
    And I checked the temperature and it is normal
    Last edited by WazaKrash; 25th Jan 2015 at 10:30.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by WazaKrash View Post
    Yeah, at first that was the problem but now I use one functionnal that my friends lent me and this battery work normally but even with that there still the problem of screen freeze.
    Screen freeze? As in the mouse moves but nothing else works or the laptop is totally unresponsive?

It's one thing to swap batteries, but to fully troubleshoot this you should also swap power supply, run the laptop on battery alone and without the battery.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Screen freeze? As in the mouse moves but nothing else works or the laptop is totally unresponsive?
    Yeah, the screen is totally freeze (I can do nothing) and the mouse moves yes but it's in "wait" mode you know, when it's looks like a little blue circle.

ok, I'll check your advice too nic2k4, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    most laptops will run without a battery installed
    I was intrigued whilst reading this (wirelessly) in the garden.
    Still dubious, I decided to remove the battery and the laptop just went off.
    I knew it was trap!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    I knew it was trap!
    I think he meant connecting the charger with the laptop and then after that you can remove the battery ^^".
    Normally, it should stays on.
    Last edited by WazaKrash; 26th Jan 2015 at 09:26.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    I knew it was trap!
    ROTGLMFAO, of course you have to have the power supply attached. Although at times I wonder, computers don't operate through divine intervention.

edit: Thanks Mike for putting a little sunshine in my day.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try placing the laptop in the fridge for about 2 hours, then starting it. If it runs much longer, you likely have a thermal problem with an internal component.
    Not easy to fix in a laptop. Don't use the freezer as that could damage the LCD screen.

And you might try starting it in 'Safe Mode'. That bypasses most installed drivers and some malware.
    Try tapping 'F8' during boot and look for 'Safe Mode'. If it runs normally there, then it may be a driver issue or a software problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    again, Thank you for your advices redwudz.
    In the fridge? this is a bit risky no?

with my cpu tower when it was overheating (and when I had not yet removed the dust) I used it with aircon turned on in a room, and it works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A malware scan is always a good thing to do and doesn't cost anything.
    It's cleary true. I did a scan and it's okay, there is no threat of a virus, a malware or others damn menace, the laptop is clean.

So I summarize
    - I launched a memory test, and it reported no problems.
    - I did a anti-virus/malware scan and that's okay, there is no threat or infection.
    - I delicately remove the laptop and carefully clean the dust inside and in the ventilator, it was not so dirty as we thougt.

For now, I leave the laptop to rest a little and after I will test to see if it freeze again. if it doesn't work, I'll try the method of redwudz and I will put the laptop in fresh. I will try to run in safe mode too, it costs nothing.

I need to buy adhesive feet (from what a friend told me), it will improve aeration when the laptop is placed somewhere.
    Last edited by WazaKrash; 27th Jan 2015 at 10:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    edit
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!