VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Instead of the video, I get this in the video window-

This plugin is vulnerable and should be updated.
    Activate Adobe Flash.
    Check for updates.

I just did update Adobe Flash.

When I hit "check for updates", all it does is go to a Mozilla page that tells me my Shockwave Flash is up to date, but my VLC Web Plugin needs updating.

I seem to have the most recent VLC player. Wouldn't that have given me the Mozilla plugin, or is it something else entirely?

Why would it say Flash is in need of updating if Flash is fine but VLC is what needs updating? What would that have to do with YouTube?

Only thing I can think of is to reboot...again, and see if this time the new version of Flash takes.

Any ideas would be welcome...
    Last edited by gastrof; 12th Dec 2014 at 02:28.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Control Panel.
    Flash Player.
    Advanced Tab.
    Check Now (for updates).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Anyway this the steps if you have problem installing Adobe Flash player:
    1. Download the uninstaller for Flash Player: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninstall_flash_player.exe
    2. Exit all browsers and other programs that use Flash, for example Yahoo! Messenger.
    3. Run the uninstaller.
    4 Verify that uninstallation is complete.
    5. Restart your computer.
    6. Download and install latest Flash player for Firefox: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/latest/help/install_flash_player.exe
    7. Download and install latest Flash player for IE: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/latest/help/install_flash_player_ax.exe
    Last edited by roma_turok; 12th Dec 2014 at 02:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, here's the weird part.

I installed the new VLC, as mentioned. 2.1.5.

I downloaded and installed the lastest Flash player from Adobe.

Rebooted the computer.

YouTube is working fine again.

However...

The advisory page at Mozilla is still telling me my VLC plugin is at 2.1.3, and needs to be updated. I've refreshed the page again and again, but it keeps giving me the same report. How can I have VLC 2.1.5 but have the VLC 2.1.3 plugin for Mozilla?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I always deselect Web Plugin when I install VLC
    you don't really needed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    I always deselect Web Plugin when I install VLC
    you don't really needed

Mozilla says it wants it. I don't know why it isn't there, since the player's updated. Are the Mozilla plugins and the player separate? Do they need to be installed separately? (I'd assumed the plugin would have updated when the player was updated.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    Where Mozilla says it wants it?
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Its just plugin version check
    Its doesn't mean Mozilla wants VLC Web plugin
    VLC Web plugin its no use in Mozilla Firefox
    VLC Web plugin basically for open media files in browser, but Firefox already can open media files without any plugins
    you can remove it by run Install VLC, select add/remove components and deselect Web Plugins:

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.png
Views:	7588
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	29077

Or you can disable VLC Web plugin in Firefox by selecting Never Activate
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    or just disable Firefox plugin update check.

add text to your user.js:
    // Don't show plugins update tab on startup
    user_pref("plugins.update.notifyUser", false);

You can change it per about:config, but often Firefox reverts that at startup. Putting the text in user.js seems to work better.
    I use old Flash 11... no trouble at all.
    Quote Quote  
  10. In fact, this isn't coming from the automatic updater but from the extensions blocklist. See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/949746 for how to disable it.

Personally, I have doubts about the advisability of this kind of feature. I know the Mozilla guys are aiming to ensure security, but the issue is that it is impossible for the user to tell where the message is originating from, or where the 'click to update' link will take them, as it doesn't show any URL in the status bar. User-duping (social engineering) is more commonplace than sophisticated software exploits, and this situation of a mysterious message popping out of nowhere just begs to be exploited with a fake version of same. If it hasn't been already.

HTH.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Weird thing is this only came up because I couldn't get YouTube videos running. The text in the YouTube video screen took me to where I saw the Mozilla plugin check.

I updated Flash and now all's well, but that same plugin check shows the VLC plugin apparently IS on the computer, as part of Firefox. It gives it the version number 2.1.3.0, and says it's vulnerable and needs to be updated. (The button says "update now".)

Is it really safe to just leave it as it is?
    Quote Quote  
  12. In general I would advise deactivating all unnecessary browser plugins. Or, set them to click to activate mode. The two most vulnerable are the Adobe Reader plugin and Sun/Oracle Java, and perhaps surprisingly, neither are EVER needed on the vast majority of computers.

The two greatest risks these days are 'You need to update your plugin' message spoofing, and the browser being pwned through a malicious embedded document that exploits a vuln in a plugin. Therefore, to be secure, disable all unneeded plugins.

I have used VLC for years and never even tested the plugin.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got this message as soon as new update came for Firefox.
    When you go to the site with video there will be a RED camera next to a web page. Click on it and window will come up where you can click on to allow the plug in to work.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
    Weird thing is this only came up because I couldn't get YouTube videos running. The text in the YouTube video screen took me to where I saw the Mozilla plugin check.

I updated Flash and now all's well, but that same plugin check shows the VLC plugin apparently IS on the computer, as part of Firefox. It gives it the version number 2.1.3.0, and says it's vulnerable and needs to be updated. (The button says "update now".)

Is it really safe to just leave it as it is?
    This article will help you to understand on what's going on behind the Fake Flash plug-in .
    A simple refresh on YT page will bypass this small hiccup.
    P.S.
    There's a Fake Java running around for years now; to watch out tho.
    - http://www.wired.com/2014/12/fbi-metasploit-tor/
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 16th Dec 2014 at 17:52.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Something is still broken. No youtube vids will play using latest flash update 16.0.0.235 in Firefox. Tinker...no red camera shows up either.

Did this to fix: Disabled hardware acceleration in Firefox.

Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Browsing: "Use hardware acceleration when available"
    Last edited by TreeTops; 17th Dec 2014 at 16:08. Reason: to show my solution.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DJ_ValBec View Post

This article will help you to understand on what's going on behind the Fake Flash plug-in .
    A simple refresh on YT page will bypass this small hiccup.
    P.S.
    There's a Fake Java running around for years now; to watch out tho.
    - http://www.wired.com/2014/12/fbi-metasploit-tor/
    Uh, there was no fake Flash plug-in. I updated Flash thru Adobe, and YT works fine now.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I had the same problem today. Firefox says Flash needs updating but when I tried to update it, it tells me it's up to date. So I used the Flash Player shortcut in Windows Control Panel to open the Flash player settings and I updated it from there. That worked, except I ended up with two listings for the Flash player plugin in the Firefox addons list..... the previous version and the new version. Uninstalling Flash completely via Add-Remove programs and re-installing it again fixed that issue.

I hardly use Firefox these days. It was an accident I used it today. I've been browsing with Pale Moon instead. It didn't nag me to update the Flash plugin as Firefox did, or disable it. I switched to Pale Moon when the Firefox GUI was "updated" to make it look like Chrome, so I still have Firefox version 28 installed. Maybe my Flash updating problem was due to having an old version of Firefox.....
    Quote Quote  
  18. If you have Flash instal in your computer, I think it work for any browser you use, equally.
    I don't think any updates of flash are any important, so I disable them, and no problems here.

- If the Flash file (or any other file) got corrupted for one reason or another:
    I erase the short-cuts, etc. and just reinstall the same .exe file I already have and in most of the instants it work like a champ.
    Except on some browser-exes, where the authors have to much control on what you are doing with it and screw you up LIVE. Then I need a real fresh .exe

P.S.
    I also use Pale Moon 'cos is light & fast. (I learn how to control "ctfmon" too)
    Firefox is too heavy duty.
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 19th Dec 2014 at 17:54.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by DJ_ValBec View Post
    I also use Pale Moon 'cos is light & fast.
    You wrong
    according to benchmarks, Firefox faster by 10% from Pale Moon
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    I also use Pale Moon 'cos is light & fast.
    You wrong
    according to benchmarks, Firefox faster by 10% from Pale Moon
    Which benchmarks?

I've used both browsers a lot, and while admittedly my internet connection is fairly slow, I've never thought one is faster than the other. I have the same extensions running in both browsers. Browsers are generally fast enough for any speed differences not to mean much.

Mind you I've never really been concerned about benchmarks. Back in the days before Firefox, I used MyIE. It was one of the early tabbed browsers (IE rendering engine). Even if at the time MyIE had benchmarked much slower than IE I wouldn't have cared. I could open a link in a background tab using MyIE by middle clicking on it. The IE equivalent was right click, open in new window, then the inevitable annoyance of having to minimise the new window because it opened in the foreground and got in the way of what I was doing.
    Even today I'm running about 25 extensions to make the browser more usable. If I'm on someone else's computer running a vanilla install of any browser I get frustrated fairly quickly. Is there a benchmark which includes the speed difference between highlighting text, copying it, opening a new tab, loading Google, and pasting the text in order to search, compared to highlighting text, dragging it up a little (mouse gesture) and having a Google search on the text open in a new tab. That sort of thing.....
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    I had the same problem today. Firefox says Flash needs updating but when I tried to update it, it tells me it's up to date. So I used the Flash Player shortcut in Windows Control Panel to open the Flash player settings and I updated it from there. That worked, except I ended up with two listings for the Flash player plugin in the Firefox addons list..... the previous version and the new version. Uninstalling Flash completely via Add-Remove programs and re-installing it again fixed that issue.

I hardly use Firefox these days. It was an accident I used it today. I've been browsing with Pale Moon instead. It didn't nag me to update the Flash plugin as Firefox did, or disable it. I switched to Pale Moon when the Firefox GUI was "updated" to make it look like Chrome, so I still have Firefox version 28 installed. Maybe my Flash updating problem was due to having an old version of Firefox.....
    I don't usually watch youtube with Firefox. I usually use Chrome but I've been watching some in Firefox lately and every single time, Firefox gives me that same message. I got tired of having to install flash every single time I played a youtube video (that's right, every time the player closed, I had to reinstall the plugin) so I installed Pale Moon. It looks like a pretty good browser but I go to youtube to play a video and it tells me an error occurred and to try later. I install flash and still get the same message. The only browser that I can use to watch youtube videos is Chrome and I had to block the HTML5 player before they would play...

...Nevermind. I restarted Pale Moon again and the video now plays.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    EDIT: I think my Firefox days are over.
    Quote Quote  
  23. It is an add-on for firefox, etc.call:
    You Tube Flash to HTML5

It work.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is an add-on for firefox, etc.call:
    You Tube Flash to HTML5

It work.
    That sounds about right since Firefox stopped working right about the same time that youtube went to html5. I believe I had to install the same add-on for Chrome. There is a girl on a music site that I frequent that posts songs from youtube and she gets pretty frustrated when she can't get audio to play. It would be nice if youtube posted a message about the HTML5 problem and what to do for each browser to fix the problem. The reason that I used Firefox was because Google Chrome killed the plugin I have to download youtube videos and blocks any attempt to try and install any plugin that allows downloading of youtube videos. I ended up installing a program called Quick Youtube Downloader. I just have to remember to turn it on when I access youtube.

Also, I used Pale Moon all night last night with 10 or 15 pages opened and Photoshop with 4 or 5 files open with over 20 layers for each file and Pale Moon didn't start showing signs that it was going to crash til around 5:00 am when my night time free bandwidth usage from my satellite carrier expires. Firefox would've crashed multiple times during the night. I just hope that Pale Moon doesn't screw their browser up like Firefox has.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    It is an add-on for firefox, etc.call:
    You Tube Flash to HTML5

It work.
    ... I just hope that Pale Moon doesn't screw their browser up like Firefox has.
    Actually start happening.

Before: We just to be just download the browser. Now they want to know who download it.
    On top of that:
    They are like the "New NSA" ... they know what we are doing and start messing ( "blocking/sensor" ) with the browser - As we go, they go. - til can't be used it anymore.
    ...even they send you warning messages like: Erase your bookmarks, etc.

Then is time to uninstall and download a new Pale Moon from fresh, with diff. credentials.

P.S.
    The Browser are the "New Rulers of the Internet" ...if you ask me.
    I can't wait to see the new P2P-Browser is coming soon or hopping for a "Roulette-Browser" to be created in the future.

Just saying.
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 22nd Dec 2014 at 17:38.
    Quote Quote  
  26. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    ... I just hope that Pale Moon doesn't screw their browser up like Firefox has.
    Actually start happening.

Before: We just to be just download the browser. Now they want to know who download it.
    On top of that:
    They are like the "New NSA" ... they know what we are doing and start messing ( "blocking/sensor" ) with the browser - As we go, they go. - til can't be used it anymore.
    ...even they send you warning messages like: Erase your bookmarks, etc.

Then is time to uninstall and download a new Pale Moon from fresh, with diff. credentials.
    Are you sure of that?

Anyway,
    we still have the option named Seamonkey, which, BTW, has always been and still is the REAL "Mozilla thing",
    interface-wise at least

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

and also,

Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Guys, since this has totally deviated from the theme of the thread, let me throw this in-

As mentioned above, THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED. Firefox is fine, YouTube is fine, and little birdies are singing.

I don't know why some of you are having problems with Flash Player in Firefox (and thus YouTube), but if someone with my limited knowledge got everything working...come on. You've GOT to be able to.
    Quote Quote  
  28. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gastrof
    and little birdies are singing.
    In fact, birds DON'T SING, they just make *noise* which many people «interpret» as a type of "singing"

Only humans can actually sing, period.

Don't try to be smarter than I, you will always lose in the end
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!