VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

My last hope ... this forum ...

While editing DVB-S SD streams including smart rendering (to maximise quality and minimise editing/processing time) is no problem (Project.X, Cuttermaran), it seems to be virtually impossible for DVB-S HD streams.

1. I didn't find any software comparable to Project.X (for SD only) which analyses DVB-S HD steams and logs findings.

2. What can I use for cutting DVB-S HD streams on frame basis with smart rendering?

I used Adobe Premiere for quite some projects in the past. I'm used to it and like it. However it does't seem to understand DVB-S HD audio and doesn't allow smart rendering. But basically, it's this kind of software I'm looking for, including editing features while not necessarily required. Minimum requirement for this thread is ... smart rendering and cut on frames. The output file should be .ts or .mp4.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just reading and searching should have shown you:
    DVB-S = MPEG-2 (can be handled by ProjectX and cut using 'smart rendering' using in example Cuttermaran)
    DVB-S2 = MPEG-4 AVC (afaik no good freeware tool available for it, H264TS_Cutter was discontinued since the developer now works for Haenlein-Software; Cypheros - TS-Doctor, SolveigMM - Video Splitter, Fame - Smart Cutter, VideoRedo,TSPE - Transport Stream Packet Editor / Analyser and Haenlein-Software DVR-Studio HD, are all commercial solutions for cutting, most of them support frame-accurate cutting)
    ->
    a. Whether the resolution is SD or HD has nothing to do with it, the video format is the deciding factor.
    b. There are a bunch of commercial solutions for this, for some one or the other work well, none of them is without flaws.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe VideoReDo TV Suite Version 5 would work. It has a free trial, so you can find out without buying the program. VideoReDo TV Suite Version 5 edits H.264 and MPEG-2 video and supports the following types of audio: PCM (16 bit), PCM (20 & 24 bit), MPEG1 Layer 2, AAC-C & AAC-HE, and AC3. If the edited .ts file is saved as a .ts file, DVB subtitles are supposed to be preserved. It is good at compensating for transmission errors.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, right ... I meant DVB-S2.

So what you say about DVB-S2 software is confirmed. There doesn't seem to be good freeware software available. I stumbled about every piece you mentioned. None of these solutions offers the analyzing/detailed output of Pj.X and the flexibility of Cuttermaran.

I don't really need the DVB subtitles. I'd like to ...

1. analyze the ts for continuity errors (freezers)
    2. demux/cut the clip using smart rendering
    4. adjust video/audio timing shifts
    3. mux into one file (.ts again or .mp4) with original video and audio data (hence preserving original quality)

For none of these steps, I found a solution which suits what I'm looking for.

VideoReDo seems to do the job best so far.

What about Linux solutions?

I saw dvbsnoop and tstools (Ubuntu repository). What about their DVB-S2 functionalities?

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by geohei View Post
    Yes, right ... I meant DVB-S2.

So what you say about DVB-S2 software is confirmed. There doesn't seem to be good freeware software available. I stumbled about every piece you mentioned. None of these solutions offers the analyzing/detailed output of Pj.X and the flexibility of Cuttermaran.

I don't really need the DVB subtitles. I'd like to ...

1. analyze the ts for continuity errors (freezers)
    2. demux/cut the clip using smart rendering
    4. adjust video/audio timing shifts
    3. mux into one file (.ts again or .mp4) with original video and audio data (hence preserving original quality)

For none of these steps, I found a solution which suits what I'm looking for.

VideoReDo seems to do the job best so far.

What about Linux solutions?

I saw dvbsnoop and tstools (Ubuntu repository). What about their DVB-S2 functionalities?

Thanks,
    IMO both Linux & Mac OSX suck big time when it come to editing MPEG2-TS files be it either MPEG2 / H.264 video.
    For stream errors, there is MPEG2 Repair (in check mode only), TSPE, TSDoctor, and DVR Studio HD.
    I really like how DVR Studio will display on the timeline the errors it finds as it parses the TS in the background.
    VRD also clearly checks the TS, but it displays errors in the output dialog and application log-not anywhere in the GUI while editing.

Personally having used all of them I trust VRD and this would be my suggestion since it does most of what you want and is very reliable and works well.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!