VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm in the market for a good Ultra HD(4k) monitor to go with my new PC. I was wonder if someone around here could help me out. I don't want to spend over 700 dollars for the monitor 600 to 620 + Tax is fine.

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 270 (2GB)

1. Hows the Asus PB287Q Monitor?
    2. What would everyone suggest getting?
    3. Is it worth getting UHD now?
    4. If not a UHD whats a good LED Monitor I could pick up? Is Asus MX279H any good for a LED?
    5. Please advise I do need the monitor to move up and down or atlease monitor to adjusted at a good angle(can't be to high).
    6. I would like to use DVI or displayport if AMD Radeon R9 270 has it.

Excluded Monitor: Samsung UHD

-Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't have any recommendations for you. But keep in mind that normal sized text on a 28" 4K monitor will be really tiny. And Windows and applications aren't especially good with automatic scaling.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It might help to know what you want the monitor for primarily. (Gaming, photo editing, video editing. etc.) Maybe those who are doing the same kind of thing can at least tell you what to look for even if they can't tell you what current models are especially good for that task. JMO it is too soon to get a UHD monitor.

[Edit] I recall that moving from a 4:3 CRT to a Widescreen LCD at 1920x1080 required some adjustments to my display parameters in Windows. I have the same concerns as jagabo about text size, scaling, web-page layout for smallish UHD monitors.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Oct 2014 at 11:25.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    It might help to know what you want the monitor for primarily. (Gaming, photo editing, video editing. etc.) Maybe those who are doing the same kind of thing can at least tell you what to look for even if they can't tell you what current models are especially good for that task. JMO it is too soon to get a UHD monitor.
    Was doing for minor gaming and video editing. If it's to soon. What's a good LED Monitor then?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There's no led monitor for sale in your price range,what you mean is lcd with led backlighting,check newegg or your local walmart or best buy for a monitor that will suit you.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Revan654 View Post
    Was doing for minor gaming and video editing.
    Be careful. The cheapest 4K monitors only accept 30 fps at 4K. You might find the current crop of ~27" 2560x1440 monitors a good compromise.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most monitors don't have the stand adjustments you want. I found a couple of 2560 x 1080 monitors that might interest you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1XA5421
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009554

I did read a remark in a review for a 21:9 monitor that indicates some games do not know how to scale their video output correctly for monitors with this aspect ratio
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    21:9 monitor only good for office and productivity task like MS office. You can see more rows without scrolling. 4k will take 3-6 year to be in mainstream.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Markwinstanley View Post
    21:9 monitor only good for office and productivity task like MS office.
    Apparently others don't share that opinion. Some people do use these monitors for gaming.

You can see more rows without scrolling. 4k will take 3-6 year to be in mainstream.
    The vertical resolution is 1080 for this type of monitor. 2560 is the horizontal resolution. So it has more columns than a 16:9 1920x1080 monitor, not more rows, when used in the standard landscape mode. It would only have more rows if used in portrait mode, and it is unlikely that this type of monitor would be often used in that orientation, [Edit] even though the supplied stands for the monitors I linked to in my previous post apparently support use in portrait mode.[End Edit]

4k will take 3-6 year to be in mainstream.
    That is overly optimistic, in my opinion.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 30th Oct 2014 at 09:49. Reason: added more info
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Agree 100%. Most people can't see all the detail on their 1080p screens because with normal 20/20 vision at the average 9 foot viewing distance they'd need a 70" 1080p screen. IMHO people will eventually figure this out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Agree 100%. Most people can't see all the detail on their 1080p screens because with normal 20/20 vision at the average 9 foot viewing distance they'd need a 70" 1080p screen. IMHO people will eventually figure this out.
    People have already figured out that what they have is good enough. Got better things to spend money on than a huge TV.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!