VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Using a gtx 770 and a samsung tv as a pc monitor via HDMI and the text is not clear on the desktop. Icons etc

Using vga text is fine.

TV is 1080p lcd, I find no settings in the TV that fix it. TV is around 4 yrs old with vga input and hdmi.

Scaling on gtx is off.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by David22 View Post
    Using a gtx 770 and a samsung tv as a pc monitor via HDMI and the text is not clear on the desktop. Icons etc

Using vga text is fine.

TV is 1080p lcd, I find no settings in the TV that fix it. TV is around 4 yrs old with vga input and hdmi.

Scaling on gtx is off.
    Select correct settings on TV - most TV's crop around 1 - 5% video and resize - for example in LG product this mode where pixels are not processed is named "Just Scan" http://www.lg.com/in/support/product-help/doc-1342586678451-en-LGEIL , other brands usually use similar/comparable names.
    Last edited by pandy; 16th Sep 2014 at 08:42.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks I'll give that a try.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Samsung's "just scan" (the little blue psize button on the remote) option should give you pixel-for-pixel display -- if your source is set to 1920x1080.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by David22 View Post
    Using a gtx 770 and a samsung tv as a pc monitor via HDMI and the text is not clear on the desktop. Icons etc

Using vga text is fine.

Scaling on gtx is off.
    If you could provide the model number, it is possible that someone could review the manual and find out if there are any clues there.

If you can't provide the model number, some TVs have one HDMI port designated for PC use. It is physically labeled as such, and that is the one you should use. If your TV does not, and the TV's settings includes an input labeling function with a menu controlling your choices, choosing "PC" for an HDMI port will sometimes causes that HDMI port to be configured for PC use.

Pressing the remote's P.SIZE button and choosing "Just Scan" usually allows PC input to be displayed correctly using an HDMI connection. It is the only thing that works for some older Samsung TVs, like my mother's 2008 model. However, it is a global setting that affects the TV's picture for for more than just one connection. You will probably want to use different settings when not using the TV as a PC monitor, and will have to change back to Just Scan when using the TV as a PC monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  6. "some TVs have one HDMI port designated for PC use." or a menu setting that says PC. I think 'usually-quiet' nailed this one.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sure the model number is LN40A550P3FXZA
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sure the model number is LN40A550P3FXZA
    I downloaded the manual for your TV from Samsung support. There are instructions in the manual I downloaded, starting on page 42, for setting up the TV to use with a PC via an HDMI connection. I could paste them into a post, but there are some illustrations in the manual that might prove useful to you. You can download your own copy from http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201104/20110426171904125/BN68-01392A-00L02-110426.pdf

Looking at pictures of the TV's available inputs, I think you should probably use the port labeled "HDMI2" or "HDMI2/DVI" to connect the PC.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Sep 2014 at 11:29.
    Quote Quote  
  9. btw - perhaps we should point this is earlier but perhaps it is not as obvious as it should be - on PC same resolution as physical resolution for display should be selected then Just scan or similar functionality enabled.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Tried all the things above and text still looks fuzzy not as sharp as VGA.

I have 3 PC's and they all have blurry text if using HDMI all have differant video cards, tried new HDMI cable to all are set to 1080p

I guess it's just the TV.

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Do you realize that Windows normally uses ClearType font smoothing on digital displays? That makes the edges of characters a little fuzzy. Maybe you're just seeing the fuzz now that you're using a big display? What happens if you display sharp pictures of text rather than text? Is it still fuzzy? How does the text in the first image in this post look (viewed without scaling)?

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/308120-Quality-loss-from-D-V-AVI-to-other-formats?p...=1#post1897056

One other thing to check: make sure all the image enhancement features on the TV are disabled. Things like sharpness filters, noise reduction, automatic contrast, etc. Those features will only screw up a "perfect" PC Desktop.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried all the things above and text still looks fuzzy not as sharp as VGA.

I have 3 PC's and they all have blurry text if using HDMI all have differant video cards, tried new HDMI cable to all are set to 1080p

I guess it's just the TV.

Thanks for the help.
    Did you use HDMI 2 to connect the PC and use PC as the input source name for HDMI 2 ? Labeling the input source as PC may turn off the picture enhancements jagabo mentions. See Page 17 of the PDF manual for instructions. The manual says "When a PC with a resolution of 1920 x 1080@60Hz is connected to the HDMI IN 2 port, you should set the “HDMI2/DVI” mode to “PC” in the “Edit Name” of the “Input” mode."
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Sep 2014 at 10:13.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I got it!

I used HDMI 2/ DVI and had to select PC in the names list. That turned off whatever was messing up the picture.

I tired other ports and set to PC and it did not work also tried "game" and that did not work.

When i have to buy a new TV i will have to figure this out again! I think very few new TV's support a PC or raw mode i've heard it called differant things most call it a tv that has game mode.

Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  14. What kind of resolution of desktop you have on your PC?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got it!

I used HDMI 2/ DVI and had to select PC in the names list. That turned off whatever was messing up the picture.

I tired other ports and set to PC and it did not work also tried "game" and that did not work.

When i have to buy a new TV i will have to figure this out again! I think very few new TV's support a PC or raw mode i've heard it called differant things most call it a tv that has game mode.

Thanks for the help!
    I'm glad something finally worked.

I think you are wrong about few new TVs supporting a PC mode. VGA is being replaced by HDMI as the designated PC connection on TVs. If there is a designated HDMI port to be used when connecting a PC, there has to be a PC mode that turns off all processing and turns on 1:1 pixel mapping. (I know game mode should turn off other picture enhancements, but it might not turn on 1:1 pixel mapping in every case.)

I do think you are right about probably having to figure this out all over again if you buy a new TV. There are probably enough differences between TVs that there is a good chance you will have to consult the manual to find out how to connect a PC to the new TV.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!