VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I asked about my problem on VLC forum but there is no answer
    I noticed a problem with VLC(all 2 versions) on windows 8/8.1. When I play 720/1080p MKV-s they're stuttering and lagging on some parts. I turned on the GPU acceleration but then i have image errors because of Nvidia gpu(i have latest drivers) Then i increased file and disc caching from 300 to 1000 and the stuttering and lagging was gone.
    For a test I moved from windows 8.1 to windows 7. On windows 7 there was no stuttering and lagging on VLC default settings. So my questions are: why on windows 8.1 to solve the stuttering i had to increase the file and disc caching from 300 to 1000 and on windows 7 was everything fine on default settings? Is that a bug or is that stuttering only happening tome on windows 8.1? If it's a bug will it be fixed? On both os were the latest drivers installed. I don't it's a hardware problem because i have a FX 8320 and GTX 760. Sorry for my english.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    Better try alternative to VLC
    Like for example: MPC-HC, Haali Media Splitter, BSPlayer, KMPlayer, GOM Player, PotPlayer ....
    Kmplayer- contains ads, audio is crackling
    Potplayer- audio crackling
    BS player- crashing when playing 1080p/720p
    Gom- everything fine but doesn't fully support mkv subs
    MPC-HC- everything fine
    I captured the audio with potplayer on the part where you can hear the crackling/strange sound. You can hear it on the part where he says your boss is dead
    Link to audio sample: https://mega.co.nz/#!iVoxkJpL!QSQ8P5_VHWkbe9hfPGZbr2i3EiI6ZUusgpJZF57eu4o
    Last edited by pavjos777; 17th Sep 2014 at 06:12.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Too little information ... computer specs involved ?

I moved from windows 8.1 to windows 7
    Explain how ?

Example: Same system with two operating systems.

In general the os pre installed is intended for the hardware it was shipped with ... upgrading an os can cause issues especially if hardware drivers are not specifically developed for it ... which tends to lead to problems.

Os settings at times get missed in initial os installs ... as you found enabling cache and increasing the value helped ... some applications are known to need these settings changed.

If this is the same system it could bring into question what the hard drive health status is ... might be due for replacement.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    Too little information ... computer specs involved ?

I moved from windows 8.1 to windows 7
    Explain how ?

Example: Same system with two operating systems.

In general the os pre installed is intended for the hardware it was shipped with ... upgrading an os can cause issues especially if hardware drivers are not specifically developed for it ... which tends to lead to problems.

Os settings at times get missed in initial os installs ... as you found enabling cache and increasing the value helped ... some applications are known to need these settings changed.

If this is the same system it could bring into question what the hard drive health status is ... might be due for replacement.
    I had windows 8.1(on 8,1 videos played in vlc on default settings were stuttering to stop the stuttering i increased the cache from 300 to 1000 and then the video played fine, other players like mpc-hc, gom play the video without stuttering)
    an then i formatted c drive(where i had windows 8.1) and installed windows 7. On windows 7 vlc played the video on the default setting without any problem. And the again i formatted c drive and installed windows 8.1
    With hdd is everything fine( picture of hard disk sentinel)
    My pc spec:
    CPU: FX 8320
    CPU Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS10X OPTIMA
    MBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
    RAM: TRANSCEND 2X4 GB 1600 MHZ (8GB)
    HDD: WD BLUE 1TB SATA 3
    GPU: MSI GTX 760 2GB TF IV GAMING OC
    PSU: FORTRON FSP RAIDER 550W 80+ SILVER
    CASE: ZALMAN Z3 PLUS ATX USB 3.0
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	27515  

Quote Quote  
  5. I don't know if it is of any use to you but I did some research on the Internet and found out about some settings in VLC that allow .h264 files play smoothly. I can't play 1080p smoothly because it is just too much for my computer, but I can play 720p smoothly. I have an older version of VLC installed. It is VLC 1.1.5. Here is a link to the instructions:

http://www.review-ninja.com/2010/08/optimizing-vlc-media-player-for-h264.html

I can play 1080p as well; but if I fast forward the video gets buggy. I can play 1080p with a program called HP Media Viewer and it plays smoothly.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!