FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

MediaInfo reports the matrix:

Format settings, Matrix : Default (MPEG) -> original file

I've already tried encoding a file with h.263 matrix:

Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)

without success.

I've also tried to mux the original video with a different audio track (MP2 format) and it works.
    Instead, the recompressed file with no audio doesn't play (the original video with no audio plays).

I label my trials in filename but until now, no encoded video worked.

I'll try with AmiDemux and DivX codec. For Xvid codec settings, I've already tried disabling everything
    Where to set "adaptive quantization" in the codec ?

I've noticed that MPEG4 Modifier reports different information:

- original door phone file (182929_DOOR1.AVI)
    Packed bitstream: No
    QPel: No
    GMC: No
    Interlaced: No
    Aspect ratio: Square pixels
    Quant type: MPEG
    FourCC: XVID
    User data: Zoran

- recompressed file (182929_DOOR1_recompress.avi)

Packed bitstream: No
    QPel: No
    GMC: No
    Interlaced: No
    Aspect ratio: Square pixels
    Quant type: MPEG
    FourCC: XVID
    User data: Zoran

I-VOPs: 6 (5,88%)
    P-VOPs: 96 (94,12%)
    B-VOPs: 0 (0,00%)
    S-VOPs: 0 (0,00%)
    N-VOPs: 0 (0,00%)

This information is not present on original file:

How to encode a video without I-VOPs and P-VOPs ?

Thank you.

Best regards,
    cdr
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by cdr400 View Post

You encode without P frames by setting the I frame interval (GOP size) to 1. You can't encode without I frames. I don't know why Mpeg4Modifier reports the frame type statistics with other AVI file but not the devices files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by cdr400 View Post

You encode without P frames by setting the I frame interval (GOP size) to 1. You can't encode without I frames. I don't know why Mpeg4Modifier reports the frame type statistics with other AVI file but not the devices files.
    Thank you but with GOP size 1, are there only keyframes ? The original file has keyframe interval = 20, as stated by GSpot. I've set Xvid codec to have the same keyframe interval without success.

It'd be interesting to discover why Mpeg4Modifier doesn't report I-VOPs and P-VOPs of device files...

Edit: I've tried Avidemux but Xvid settings are different and less complete from those with VirtualDub. It is not possible to select profile Advanced Simple@L5 but only till L4...

Best regards,
    cdr
    Last edited by cdr400; 2nd Sep 2014 at 03:41.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by cdr400 View Post
    Thank you but with GOP size 1, are there only keyframes ?
    Yes.

The original file has keyframe interval = 20, as stated by GSpot. I've set Xvid codec to have the same keyframe interval without success.
    Yes, I know.

It'd be interesting to discover why Mpeg4Modifier doesn't report I-VOPs and P-VOPs of device files...
    If you open a large XVID AVI file with the program you can see that it scans through the entire file. Presumably that's how it determines the frame type statistics. Apparently it's not scanning the files from door cam and isn't giving an error message.

I've tried Avidemux but Xvid settings are different and less complete from those with VirtualDub. It is not possible to select profile Advanced Simple@L5 but only till L4...
    Did you try the resulting file anyway?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I've tried 5 files with different xvid parameters using AviDemux but none worked

I'm a bit desperate... so I can give 5$ via Paypal to one that provides me a working encoded file and the procedure to create it, thank you.

Best regards,
    cdr
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Have you tried hexediting to include that TrustCKType info header?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Have you tried hexediting to include that TrustCKType info header?

Scott
    No, but you stated before:

Originally Posted by Cornucopia
    I notice both the re-encode & the remuxed file DO NOT have the "TrustCKType" flag.
    and the remuxed file worked so appears that TrustCKType flag isn't needed: am I wrong ?

Thank you.

Best regards,
    cdr
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    True...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Any other ideas ?

Is it possible to take the complete avi header of the working file and overwrite the one of the bad file (with the same audio track and duration) ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, but you'll have to tweak the durations (or other fields if dur is same) and it might have problems seeking, etc due to the change in packet positioning. This might be fixable with a remux, though.

Give it a try, what's the worst that could happen?

Scott

I have successfully done this before when repairing/restoring some corrupted files (.MOV & .AVI), but it takes a while to get right.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have to ask again: why are you attempting this at all?

It seems a shame to take a specialized tool such as a security/door cam/monitor and make it do double duty as a standard "digital photo/video frame", particularly when you could get one of those for much cheaper (~$25USD?) and have NO or MUCH LESS compatibility problems. (If this is what you're attempting).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Yes, but you'll have to tweak the durations (or other fields if dur is same) and it might have problems seeking, etc due to the change in packet positioning. This might be fixable with a remux, though.

Give it a try, what's the worst that could happen?

Scott

I have successfully done this before when repairing/restoring some corrupted files (.MOV & .AVI), but it takes a while to get right.
    Thank you.
    Which tool have you used to overwrite avi header? A binary editor or a specific tool ?

The video door phone is in perfect position in my living room, there is no space for another photoframe (btw, are you sure that a 9" photo video frame costs only 25USD?)
    Furthermore the display is always active (it is not possible to power off) so I prefer showing a video instead of a clock
    Another use is for my young children that like viewing video music file (and the browser of the door phone is very simple to use).

Best regards,
    cdr
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've used a hex editor combined with a structure viewer. So for MOV, I used Dumptster (which is now hard to find, but you might substitute MP4Explorer), and AVI I used Riff Viewer (there are others: abcAVITagEditor, RiffPad,...).

Not the 9", but 7" or 8", yes I have seen those. Many are on deep discount because they haven't sold as well as was expected.

[Humorous]OK, here's what you do: Make your video & show it on a monitor. Put the monitor in the FOV of the door cam and record the monitor as the video plays. Now there's a "doorcam-compatible" version![/Humorous]

Good luck in you attempts.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, I've tried overwriting the header of the bad file (with same length) with the good one but it doesn't work.
    This is the method I used:
    - saved a file with only header of original door phone file
    - saved bad files (of the same length) without header
    - used DOS command: copy /b header+fileWithoutHeader fileToTest.AVI

Is it correct ?

Thank you for your humorous solution: it surely works !

I'm serious to pay 5USD via Paypal to the one that provide me a working encoded file and explain me how to obtain it

Best regards,
    cdr
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't recommend ever using the "Copy /B", as it is ignorant of well-formed packet management.

Well, I tried just using a different muxer than Virtualdub (AVIMux-GUI, which always claimed to be one of the most versatile & compliant).

Using a new piece of video, swapped out from the original piece of video, but with the original audio. Named the same as the original video.

Let me know if it works, or if not, what it does (same freeze on black as before?).

Scott
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

thank you for the file: I'll try it as soon as I'll arrive at home.
    I've noticed that audio stream is MPEG audio Version 1 while the original was Version 2 (Layer 2).

Best regards,
    cdr
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ??? That's weird, I remuxed your audio. OK, must be a quirk in the muxer...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I've tried your file and it doesn't play: the door phone report immediately "Unsupport File" and the browser returns to the list of files.
    I've tried removing the audio stream with Virtual Dub and in this case the door phone shows the hourglass for about 5s before showing the same error; then it hangs with black screen.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Best regards,
    cdr
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm all out for now...will think about it.

Ok, here's something to try:
    Shoot a number of different images WITH the door phone, such that the video in each is quite different but all of the clips play correctly. Then do a hex diff compare on them and see what elements are common to all. Won't be the video, should be most of the basic headers (discounting filename, duration & bitrate). Perhaps there is a proprietary tag somewhere inside the Xvid data stream that is hidden, but necessary for accepting playback.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

after many many tries with hex editor I've lost hope

I remember the 5USD prize (via Paypal) for the one who sends me an encoded video that plays on my door phone and explains me how to obtain it.

Thank you.

Best regards,
    cdr
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!