VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I am trying to edit home movies with sony vegas pro. at the moment I only have version 8 but I also had the same problems when I used trial versions of 13. Sony Vegas is really slow. especially the playback. Basically if you had any effect to the video it stuffs up and freezes. I have no clue about the technical side of things when it comes to computers so I don't know if its a problem with sony or with my computer.
    My computer is only a few months old and I don't want to change the hardware on it as that may void my warranty. I've tried putting sony vegas and the rendering file on an external hard drive but it didn't work. I've also tried uninstalling and re-installing sony vegas 8.
    Another problem I am having is that it keeps saying the the program is not responding. This is only a new problem but its doing it so much that I can't use sony at all.

This is the info about my computer:
    Pyron-A10-6800
    AMD Quad Core A10 6800k 4.1GHz (Richland)
    8GB DDR3 Memory
    2TB (SATA & 7200 RPM) Hard Disk Drive
    DVD Rewritter
    nVidia GeForce Gt630-2GB PCI-E Graphics
    Media Card Reader
    802.11b/g/n Wifi Card
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 BIT Edition.

Any ideas on what I can do which don't require me to change the hardware on my computer? as I said I don't want to void the warranty.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What format are your home movies? Use mediainfo view=>text , copy & paste the results back here
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Let's try to solve this using 3-point logic.

Your computer sounds up to par. Sony Vegas is up to par. So that means you must be using an iphone camera.

You might try updating/installing QuickTime Player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    What format are your home movies? Use mediainfo view=>text , copy & paste the results back here
    it does it with every kind of format
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Let's try to solve this using 3-point logic.

Your computer sounds up to par. Sony Vegas is up to par. So that means you must be using an iphone camera.

You might try updating/installing QuickTime Player.
    no not using an iphone camera. it actually doesn't matter what type of format i use it goes slow and freezes with everything
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by rainbowediting View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    What format are your home movies? Use mediainfo view=>text , copy & paste the results back here
    it does it with every kind of format
    A few thoughts.
    1) Vegas 8 doesn't support newer formats very well, please be specific as PDR requested. You say it doesn't matter which format -- but it does. Please tell us what you've tried.
    2) Your AMD processor is comparable to a high i3 to low i5, which may be an issue, though the rest of your specs seem fine.
    3) Is the HDD you list in your specs external, or are you storing your media on the boot drive?
    4) If your effects are sufficiently complex, you may simply need to render them for smooth playback.
    5) Try running it with nothing else going on -- no internet, no antivirus, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The preview window has four modes. "Draft" is the lowest resolution, but fastest playback. Conversely, "Best" mode is the highest resolution, but slowest playback.

Another option is to create a loop on the timeline and let it loop a few times until you get realtime playback.

In general, all NLEs suffer from clunky playback. They are not "Media Players", they are editing software. Vegas is the most playback optimized of the bunch, so switching to something else won't help.

Editing is an incremental process, not a shotgun approach. You should render out fully from time to time between edits. You can roll back by using multiple project names like Project1, Project2, etc. Use an intermediate that is less compressed, like Cineform or Mpeg2.

And like smrpix said, Vegas 8 did not support AVC very well, if at all.
    Last edited by budwzr; 28th Jun 2014 at 13:39.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!