VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A small percentage of members seem to have difficulty with creating their own thread and post in any old or new thread they find instead. Maybe a sticky would help these members. I posted similar instructions in a recent thread. Thoughts?

How to start a new topic of your own:

1. Click on the word "Forum" at the top of any VideoHelp page.
    2. Scroll down the page and find a forum that matches your topic. "Newbie / General Discussions" is fine if you don't know what else to pick, but your topic must be video-related. Otherwise, there are a few sections covering things that are not video related. For example computer hardware problems can be posted in the "Computer" section under "Other". ...and general interest non-video discussions which are not covered by any of the the non-video forum sections can be posted in "Off Topic", as long as they are allowed under VideoHelp's rules.
    3. Click on the forum you want to use.
    4. Click on the "Post New Thread" button on the left side of the page above the list of thread titles in the forum, and log in.
    5. Choose a title for your thread that describes your topic. Very general titles like "Help me!!!" or "Problems" are not allowed.
    6. Type your question.
    7. Click on the "Preview" button to review your post before submitting it.
    8. Click on the "Submit new thread" button when you are ready to post your question.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I fear in our breakneck speed society to do things NOW, they probably wouldn't read it. How many of us really read the manual before turning on a new piece of gear? But having said that its a good idea and maybe forum etiquette should be taught in high school these days?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. The Question I want answered is already in that post. Why start a new post. WHEN ITS ALREADY THERE AND NEVER ANSWERED PROPERLY! How about lets finish it or do I need to go to another forum to get answers. Because you want to be an ass.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most new posters never read stickies so it won't help,they just look through google and click on the first link that they think will help and make an account and log back into that thread they found and post without reading anything such as the above poster.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Madestmax View Post
    The Question I want answered is already in that post. Why start a new post. WHEN ITS ALREADY THERE AND NEVER ANSWERED PROPERLY! How about lets finish it or do I need to go to another forum to get answers. Because you want to be an ass.
    Since I only want to be an ass and you have already mastered the art of being an ass, I bow to your superior skills in that area. No doubt I shall receive further evidence of your great talent for being an ass momentarily.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The Question I want answered is already in that post. Why start a new post. WHEN ITS ALREADY THERE AND NEVER ANSWERED PROPERLY! How about lets finish it or do I need to go to another forum to get answers. Because you want to be an ass.
    Since I only want to be an ass and you have already mastered the art of being an ass, I bow to your superior skills in that area. No doubt I shall receive further evidence of your great talent for being an ass momentarily.
    It has been over 11 minutes already.

By the way Madestmax, any answers to your post in a 3 year old thread? Grave digging on his first post
    Quote Quote  
  7. Well son You're not willing to help anybody. You just want to bully. Its easy to do that for people like you. Come meet me face to face at the past time in dallas. I be waiting fer ya.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Most new posters never read stickies so it won't help,they just look through google and click on the first link that they think will help and make an account and log back into that thread they found and post without reading anything such as the above poster.
    True enough, but if someone wanted to start a new thread, and couldn't figure it out for himself, would he be able to perform a search and find out how to do it?

I'm not referring to garden-variety grave-robbing. I have seen a few posts, including one today, where the writer apologized for hijacking a thread with an unrelated question because he didn't know how to start a thread of his own. I actually searched for instructions on how to create a new thread to use to post a link for this member but found none, so I wrote some of my own.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th May 2014 at 21:32. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well son You're not willing to help anybody. You just want to bully. Its easy to do that for people like you. Come meet me face to face at the past time in dallas. I be waiting fer ya.
    See, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. You are so much better at being an ass and a bully than I am.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A small percentage of members seem to have difficulty with creating their own thread and post in any old or new thread they find instead. Maybe a sticky would help these members. I posted similar instructions in a recent thread. Thoughts?
    We try to accommodate all members. Some new members don't really read our rules.

Changing our rules is up to our Administrator.

But our Mods can usually fix this. No real problem.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    We try to accommodate all members. Some new members don't really read our rules.

Changing our rules is up to our Administrator.

But our Mods can usually fix this. No real problem.
    I was not asking about amending the rules. I was asking if it would be possible to add a few instructions somewhere that anyone who wants to post a new question in the forums can find using a search. Apparently not everyone figures out that to start a new thread it is necessary to go to the page that lists all the posts in a particular forum section.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    I think for anyone truly flummoxed by forum posting who wants to do it properly, reducing the text of the instructions and adding screenshots with big red circles highlighting which buttons to push would help.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    I think for anyone truly flummoxed by forum posting who wants to do it properly, reducing the text of the instructions and adding screenshots with big red circles highlighting which buttons to push would help.
    Very likely true.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet, I created a closed sticky with your starting post in our User Guide Forum. We'll see how it works out.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/364365-How-to-post-a-new-thread

Only the Administrator could create a more 'universal link' to all pages.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    usually_quiet, I created a closed sticky with your starting post in our User Guide Forum. We'll see how it works out.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/364365-How-to-post-a-new-thread

Only the Administrator could create a more 'universal link' to all pages.
    Thanks for giving this a try. I hope that it will indeed help a few people who are unfamiliar with how forums similar to this one work.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I had put the post in User Guides, then noticed similar types of stickies in Newbie/General, so I moved it there. Sorry for the confusion.
    Present location: https://forum.videohelp.com/forums/18-Newbie-General-discussions
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!